PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder Issues

wayne_v
07-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I have a 2006 Mobius LSV with a factory installed depth finder. It functions intermittently while I am driving around. When it stops working it reads ---. It doesn't matter if I am in shallow or deep water sandy bottom or rock bottom. Could someone give me an idea of what things to check for the problem.

Chefwong
07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Try opening your compartment and looking at the depth finder. Ours was doing the same thing and we realised it broke loose from the factories installation. We put a bead of silicon around it and it works great.

wayne_v
07-09-2007, 07:40 AM
I'll check that. Thanks for the info.

waketwowake
07-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Where is the depth finder located? Engine compartment? I'm having the same issues.

Chefwong
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
My depth finder is located in the V-drive compartment mounted to the hull. The problem seemed to be that they just mounted the depth finder with epoxy and that vibrates and break off. All other depth finders I've seen have been mounted with silicon so I remounted it with that and it's been working like a charm.

Wolf-
07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
My depth finder is located in the V-drive compartment mounted to the hull. The problem seemed to be that they just mounted the depth finder with epoxy and that vibrates and break off. All other depth finders I've seen have been mounted with silicon so I remounted it with that and it's been working like a charm.

Eboxy is used as it tends to be stronger overall and when applied correctly, has little or no air pockets that would hinder the operation of the sounder.

Note the word "sounder". Silicone is a softer, more plyable compound, and does not transfer the sound waves in the same manner as hardened epoxy does. Take your readings with an even larger grain of salt than normal if you put the sounders back in with silicone.