PDA

View Full Version : vapor lock

martyslc
07-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I have a 2005 XLV that vapor locks every time I take it to Lake Powell. I'm pretty sure that it's the pump itself because it's mounted to the engine.

Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's what I have found out.

1- Replace fuel filter
2- Let boat run a few minutes after a hard run to lower temp
3- Turn blower on during and after a run
4- Use good high grade gas
5- Make sure there's no kinks in fuel line

I would like to install a second pump before the fuel filter to help push the gas and I was wondering if anyone knows the psi that indmar is sending out to rectify this problem on the 07's?

Thanks,
Marty

cab13367
07-07-2007, 04:48 AM
marty,

Please read the post from Engine Nut in the link below. He is with Indmar.

Al

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4534

martyslc
07-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know what the PSI is on the pump that Indmar is sending out to rectify the problem on the 07 models?

-Marty

Engine Nut
07-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know what the PSI is on the pump that Indmar is sending out to rectify the problem on the 07 models?

-Marty

The pump we are using is the HVLP pump that was used on the carbureted engines which is approx 6-8psi. The pump itself is easy but you also need to be able to tap into the existing fuel pump wiring so the second pump only runs when the high pressure pump on the engine does. We really didn't see vapor lock issues on those models. I suspect you may have some other issue with the boat's fuel system like a sticky anti siphon valve or some other restriction.

dtlaine
05-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I had my first vapor lock issue today, and luckily a Sea Ray dealer was having a little boat show where we were docked. The sales guy came over, and gave me a tip that I think helped out. He said to cycle the key on and off to try to get fuel to the pump. After a number of attempts, I could hear that the fuel pump sounded different. The boat started right up, and it ran fine. I think that the cycles helped move the fuel through the line without having to run the starter.

michael stegall
07-14-2010, 11:31 PM
The pump we are using is the HVLP pump that was used on the carbureted engines which is approx 6-8psi. The pump itself is easy but you also need to be able to tap into the existing fuel pump wiring so the second pump only runs when the high pressure pump on the engine does. We really didn't see vapor lock issues on those models. I suspect you may have some other issue with the boat's fuel system like a sticky anti siphon valve or some other restriction.

i have a 2008 moomba outback and mine vapor locks atleast 8 times out of 10 i shut it off

phospher
07-15-2010, 12:59 AM
weird. I have a 2008 Outback DD and it has never vapor locked yet.

MEDIC151
07-15-2010, 12:43 PM
My 06 XLV did this last season and it was just the fuel. I had the winterblend in it from the winterization and with the Texas heat, it would vaporize at the rails. I drained it, put that gas in the truck and refilled with the summerblend. It solved the problem.

bslide
07-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I have an 05 xlv and I think we had a vapor lock issue today for the first time. Outside temp about 87 and we running for about 3hrs straight. We stopped at a sand bar for about a half hour then went to leave and it started then died. We opened the engine bay and cycled the key about 5 times then it started and ran fine. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Maybe open the engine bay to decrease temp?

newyear14
07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I have read many threads here re: vapor lock. What i do is open the hatch and run the blower after a hard run for about 1-2 minutes to cool off the engine bay . So far have not experienced vapor lock. Mind you this is my first inboard boat so vapor lock is a new concept to me.

kayjayfech
05-24-2011, 02:29 PM
I had this same issue happen to me last summer. As you may be aware it gets a little hot in Phoenix and the water temp was pushing 85 degress. There is a bicycle tube "tire-like" valve stem next to the spark plugs in the engine (just like releasing air out of a tire) and when you press that, gas will spray out a little. This allowed the fuel pump to release air and any flow better and I was able to start it right up again.

jeepskinc
07-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Replying to this old thread on Vapor Lock. I have a 2008 Outback DD that I purchased in July of this year. Boat has been running great until this past Friday night. 6 of us in the boat doing some evening surfing and wake boarding. Nothing to heavy as most of them were beginners. After about an hour of runs, we anchored and had some dinner. We sat for I would say 45 minutes with the stereo playing. At that time, I fired the engine up and let it idle while we were putting things away. Over a time of less than five minutes, the idle seemed to get rougher. I thought I would feed a bit of gas and she died. I went to turn it over, cranked up, and died again. Rinse and repeat a few times and then could not even get her to start at that point. We opened the dog house up and started to inspect. Engine seemed a bit hot but not sure it was any hotter than usual. Since the motor was starting and then dying, I ruled out electrical and figures something with the fuel system. I had one of my friends lightly tap on the fuel pump as I turned her over. First couple of tries, nothing. Second couple of tries, sounded promising. Then boom, fired up and kept running. My friend indicated he may have wiggled the wires leading to the pump while tapping during that successful attempt. We kept her running all the way back to the ramp which was a good ten to fifteen minute run. My wife kept here idled while I went for the truck and trailer and continued to keep running until we got her on the trailer. After laoding on the trailer, we killed the engine. Fired it up 2 or 3 times just to check and no problems. Next day I did some test startups in the driveway with a fake-a-lake feeding the water pickup. No issues there. So my question. Does this sound like Vapor Lock to you? I plan to bring a battery operated fan on our next outing as an additional way to help cool the pump if it should happen again. If it is Vapor Lock, I'm a bit surprised it would happen on this night. It was fairly cool (by NC in July standards) and we were not running hard. I've had this boat out for full afternoons with temps in the high 90's and running through almost an entire tank of gas and not run into this.

smokeysevin
07-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Is your engine carb or fuel injected?

Sean

jeepskinc
08-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Fuel injected

Fastest1
08-05-2015, 09:52 AM
JeepsK,Sounds more like a defective fuel pump or as you mentioned bad electrical connection.