PDA

View Full Version : Wakeplate on an 07 Outback?

TL7
07-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Is it possible to add a wake plate to our 07 Outback? What would the cost range be, and is it even worth it for wakeboarding? Just curious what you guys think.

JoeTechie
07-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Useless for the most part.

The wakeplate is to counter the action of the wakeboard hulls (V, LS, LSV, XLV) They all have a stepped rear convex hull design that actually causes the stern to submerge thus creating a wake. Without a wakeplate to level the boat, they porpoise terribly at speed. With ballast it can be used to shape the wake.

The Base OB has a flat hull designed for skiing. Period. Thus rendering a wakeplate 90% useless.

The name "wakeplate" is pretty stupid actually... it is actually an "anti-wake plate"

If you filled up huge amounts of ballast then it might help control the wake, but IMHO (which you seem to dispise though used in previous posts) it is a waste of your $.

-Joe

TL7
07-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Joe I think we got off to a bad start. I appreciate any valuable input.

Buttafewcoe
07-08-2007, 05:50 AM
On yer OB, perfect pass would be one of the best investments.
Hope this helps
B

cptmoomba
07-09-2007, 11:08 AM
If you are ever going to use your OB for wakesurfing, it is a "nice" feature. It helps to shape the wake a little, by engaging the plate just a little bit, I can remove some of the whitewater from the surfing wake.

I have it on my boat simply because the showroom model that I purchased came with the wakeboarding package. Otherwise, I would never have known the impact it has.

I slalom at 32mph with the plate 80-85 percent down, thus picking the back of the boat out of the water and making tiny wakes, 100 percent down at that speed and 15 - 22 feet off sprays a jet stream at my ankles. Makes the great ski wake of the Outback outstanding.

Bottom line, for just straight wakeboarding, I keep the plate disengaged (above boat bottom) and just load up fatsacs and fat friends and let PerfectPass do her thing.

If I was ONLY going to wakeboard, I would not need the wakeplate, but I would definately need PerfectPass (wakeboardpro model).

From the factory the wake plate option is 895 dollars. Pretty sure that there is probably another couple hundred that would be required for installation labor after the fact.