PDA

View Full Version : Ipod question

TL7
07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
How do you guys get your Ipod to the driver's side? The deck is on the passenger side, the interface I bought (PIE KNW/13-POD) is only 6 feet. I found an extension at Crutchfield (Kenwood CA-C2EX), but it's only another 6 feet. Still not enough to go around the front to the driver's side. Guess I could get 2 of the extensions, but at $30 a pop I would end up with about $100 total in cables! I can't seem to find a way to run the cable straight across under the floor either. Am I missing something? Thanks for any input!

tazz3069
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
It depends on what type style your boat is. On the LSV, you can go through the gront ballast compartment.

TL7
07-05-2007, 07:39 PM
we have the 07 Outback...no front ski-locker or front ballast.

tazz3069
07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Do you have the external remote by the driver side? Also, is your radio in the glove box? On my boat, the radio is in the glove box and the remote is located by me. I purchased the kenwood KCA-IP500 adapter for the IPod. My external remote controls the songs and volume. My Ipod sits in the glove box. I do know that there is a thread in here about someone installing the Ipod nest to the driver. For me, the IPod in the glove box is good enough for me.
Tazz

04OUTBACK
07-05-2007, 09:03 PM
TL7
I have 04 Outback and here is what I did.... (maybe you could exchange a part or two...)CA-CA1AUX
I got the Kenwood Adaptor CA-CA1AUX -- This plugs into the back of the Kenwood stereo and terminates into RCA plugs. Then I got a 12' RCA extension and ran around the bow under the front seats.
http://www.planethi-fi.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1675

Then I purchased an iC-RCA from PAC
http://www.amazon.com/IC-RCA-Ipod-Aux-video-cable/dp/B000K52E9K
This charges my IPOD and plugs into the bottom of IPod for Line Level output. I am very pleased with Sound Quality.

I struggled with same issue you are having on the length issue. I insisted on having my Ipod at my helm... not around the glove compartment.

i hear the Kenwood KCA-i500 adaptor is pretty neat but a little clunky...
See this post..
https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=3806&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

jmvotto
05-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Do you have the external remote by the driver side? Also, is your radio in the glove box? On my boat, the radio is in the glove box and the remote is located by me. I purchased the kenwood KCA-IP500 adapter for the IPod. My external remote controls the songs and volume. My Ipod sits in the glove box. I do know that there is a thread in here about someone installing the Ipod nest to the driver. For me, the IPod in the glove box is good enough for me.
Tazz

Tazz , how did you run the wire into the glove box. Did you drill the holes. Do you have any pics.

Thanks

tazz3069
05-30-2008, 07:36 AM
JM--
I have a Dremal Tool with a grinder bit. I removed the 12V plug. I ground out just enough for the Ipod wire to fit. I install the Ipod wire and replaced the 12V plug. Works great.

jmvotto
05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Great idea, I have a dremel that i hardly use. Perfect

I will give a try this weekend.

jmvotto
05-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Tazz,

Thanks for the Idea, worked like a charm, i forgot i had the little dremel tool..

thanks again.