PDA

View Full Version : engine temp

BLKOUTLS
07-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Brian , need you tech knowledge. 2002 outbk ls w/carb engine. about 185 hrs the engine temp running a bit high.
I replaced the raw water impellar, cleaned tranny filter ,the carb and flame arrestor. It running about 185 to 190 .When i turn the engine off and on again i get a lower temp reading?I have a new stat (not in) but this just happened yesterday and i just did this tonight . thanks Brian i look forward to hearing from you.
chris

Brian Raymond
07-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Chris,put in the new thermostat, and run the boat as usual, keep an eye on the gauge, and record temps. at time intervals. Watch the fuel gauge also when documenting temp. If the fuel gauge changes w/temp. readings, it may be a gauge grounding issue, this is a simple fix. Has the temp. increase been slowly coming, or did it happen the last few times out. The font of the gauges is slightly off, a motor running at gauge temp. 175deg. is usually around 155-160deg. There is an ohm test to determine the temp. at certain ohm levels. Do the above test first and keep me posted. Brian Raymond

BLKOUTLS
07-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Brian, thanks for the speedy reply, you raise an interesting question about the ground. I dont think i'm crazy but since i've owned it when i turned the boat off to get a skier,boarder or such i do not remember the temp going to 240 but always returning to 0 then when i turned it on it returned to temp.possible ground? the gas gauge lets just say is not the most reliable bouncing betty. Ground check test how to? The boat has always run since .07hrs at 180 except in march and april when there is still ice in the water it never gets warm. Thanks Brian.
chris

BLKOUTLS
07-24-2003, 08:35 AM
Brian forgot to mention i just did a long road trip with the boat trailered and a possible loose connection after the 500 miles round trip and 2 to 3 foot waves at launch. Also when i was returning to the launch the boat died at 22 mph as if i turned the ignition off and it took 2 starts to go. it has never done this and thats why the possible ground issue sounds right. by the way i replaced the fuel filter just in case last nite.
thanks Brian
chris

Brian Raymond
07-24-2003, 09:37 PM
To verify the grnd. problem, lay on your back looking up the backside of the dash. The grounds for the volt, oil, temp., and fuel gauges should be secured on the right mounting post of that gauge, if it is on the left post of the gauge, just swap them over. The trouble with the boat dieing concerns me, did the entire dash panel go dead, or did the motor just die? While under the dash, check the connections on the backside of the circuitboard behind the switch panel, hopefully, these connections may have only been jarred for a moment under your conditions, keep me posted.Brian Raymond

BLKOUTLS
07-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Brian,
i did a quick check of connections tonight and will do a complete check 1st thing tomorrow. as i remember all gauges went dead when it died. quick change i replaced the tstat and it is running cooler but found out its a 140 degree instead of 160. i put in a 140 i had removed a 160. i had it looked up by a indmar certified dealer and that is what they said it was when i bought it help me out do i pull the 140 and put in a 160? long term effects?I need your help on this one my dealer seems not to exsist anymore so i need your help finding a dealer as well . again thanks forall your help and the great board.

chris

Brian Raymond
07-24-2003, 10:07 PM
The engine dieing sounds like a shot to the ignition ckt. Verify the above connections, as well as, the round main engine harness at the back of the motor, and batt. terminal connections. I would stay OEM for warranty sake, stick with the 160deg. I am sorry to hear about your dealer situation, let me know your zip code, and I will try to get some area dealers for you. In a worse case scenario, motor parts can be ordered through Indmar certified dealers(MC,Malibu), or you can have them shipped directly through Indmar, www.indmar.com. Ask for Larry, John, or J.T. in parts, tell them I sent ya when calling 800-238-7112.Brian Raymond

BLKOUTLS
07-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Brian thanks for taking the time i'll pick up a 160 tomorrow morning. the dealer i picked it up is a big (malibu) dealer.Thanks for the help on a dealer I'm not sure how all the warranty type things happen but it will be nice to know they are there zip is 60042. i checked my battery connections dual batteries with a perko switch dealer installed and will completely check all others.

chris

Pman
07-25-2003, 09:42 AM
I have a 2001 Outback. When I first bought the boat, I had a problem starting it while trying to launch. The motor would turn over, but would not fire. I brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it easily. Behind the dash, there is a circuit board that plugs into the back of all the guages. The mechanic simply pushed on the back of this circuit board to plug in one side that came loose, and the boat started right up. The week before I was in rough water and it must have loosened the board on one side. Periodically I check the board just for safety. Hope this helps.

BLKOUTLS
07-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Pman thanks for the tip i went thru today but did not find one loose or even semi loose connection.

Brian put the new tstat in today and it seems to be the ticket
I may be hyper sensitive to the temp gauge now, it was one the right side of the 180 line, then i started to think oh no but thats where it stayed i think i'm ok.I'll keep posting on the stall and see if i can trace it back to any one particular connection or such. If you have any tests or ideas throw it my way. It only happened once and probably was a fluke but it will drive me crazy.thanks again for taking the time look forward to get the dealer info from you . thanks

chris