PDA

View Full Version : Newbie queston about buying my first boat??

jetlinking
07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
It looks like buying a Moomba will be the best bang for my buck. I want to spend around 30K. I like the Mobius LSV, but it looks like the Outback or Outback V is in my price range. Buy looking at the Outback, it looks like the hull is not very deep compared to the Mobius. I dont think I would like that....but then again I really dont know. Maybe I just buy a used LSV ??

Can someone please tell me what I should do, what the big difference is bwtween the two boats?? Thanks guys

SEARK
07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
There's a guy in Hot Springs with an 07 Outback for sale. I saw it in the paper this morning. You should give him a call and take a test drive of his boat and see if you like it or not. I thought about it before buying the Mobius LS. :)

Sled491
07-03-2007, 06:25 PM
You need to ask yourself what you are going to use the boat for, Skiing, wakeboarding, genreral boating, maybe a little of all. The outback maybe smaller but it gives up nothing to the competition. If this is your first boat go with new that you can afford like ED said and after you really know what your looking for make the move (maybe 5 years or so, maybe sooner). Who knows maybe the outback will be everything you want.

outback 4
07-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I had the same questions and the same budget and ended up getting a brand new 06 Outback. It was the best decision I could have made and i've been extremely happy with the boat. I do a lot of wakeboarding and I can have just as much fun with the Outback then I can behind my step-brothers Wakesetter. If your're not turning pro, then no reason to worry about the ginormous wakes. The Outback also has a great wake for skiing.

JoeTechie
07-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Get the "V". Great all around boat. Great price.

Best priced v-drive anywhere.

-J

Buttafewcoe
07-04-2007, 06:05 AM
I have to say I'm partial to the OB. Bought a new one in '04 and she's been great.
B

moomba_armada
07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Go with the Outback V, just got a new one and if it goes well for me running in open water(sea), it would run even better for you on a lake.
Boat is amazing,only got 6 hours on it though...but every time I ride it, I enjoy more and more..No doubts.

04OUTBACK
07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
04 Outback for me... Only thing I wish for is auto ballast... Wake is fine for me...
Sled's question is important... What type of riding you are gonna do. I love the ease of Maintenance with my DD. I stopped in the Moomba dealership in Shreveport, LA while traveling the other day and looked at an Outback V (mainly to look long term about V-Drive maintenance) Oil Changes dont seem that hard, but Impeller changes seem challenging...
No question, the room of a V-Drive is better, although I do not mind the space in my outback... 7 People is a perfect trip to me...2 in front 2 in back spotter and driver and a rider.. Great balance and anymore people and it is a circus walking around people!

Good luck...bottom line, hurry and get one so you can get out on the water. I bought mine at end of August last year and stil put 20+ hours on last fall. Summer is short!

jetlinking
07-04-2007, 06:14 PM
What about the ride on rough water, Outback V vs LSV?? Im going to use the boat for wakeboarding and just driving around...oh yeah, and the sand bar!! I think Im going to buy a year old LSV. Maybe I can get one around 30K. What do you guys think??

JoeTechie
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
If comparring a V to an 06 LSV then there are some differences.

Mainly size. Longer, wider and higher freeboard. Deeper V keel so it rides best trough chop. The boat is BIG. Put a regular OB next to the LSV and you see it is just a bigger boat. Room for LOTS of friends and family and stuff - and the stuff is out of the way (V-drives give you that)

I was going to buy an '05 LSV (now named the OB V) when I heard they were increasing the freeboard (the height of the boat) - I waited. Very happy - I feel like i am IN the boat vs ON the boat.

Ed has a very good point however - buying new gets you lots of warranty levels you do not have as a second owner. Still basic factory, but you may want to look it up.

So when looking at used LSV's - if you go beyond an 06, it is the same as the new OB V and not worth the difference.

Hope this helps,

Joe

jetlinking
07-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!! It looks like I will be looking for a 06 LSV.