PDA

View Full Version : Tie downs?

TL7
07-02-2007, 09:18 PM
OK this may be a dumb question, but do you guys use tie downs for the back of the boat? Just got our 07 Outback and it came with neither tie downs nor a safety chain for the bow eye. Our last boat (99 Sea Ray) had both. Kind of irritating to spend +/- 35k on a boat and not get them included; seems like due to safety reasons they would be.

So I bought some at Academy today, but when I put them on they are situated to where over time I'm sure they would chip the gelcoat on the back of the boat. Granted this is below the platform, but a scratch is a scratch! So do you guys use them and if so what type? Sorry for the long post and stupid question!

Sled491
07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
my dealer sold me a pair that are made for boats, and where the buckle (if you want to call it that) is there is a piece of webbing with velcro that wraps around to protect your boat. They work great and fit nicely between the boat and the platform.

I saw them in the Overtons catologue as well.

Good luck and congrats on the new boat, our 07 outback has been great!

JoeTechie
07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Just discussed a few days ago here:

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4391

in short - lots of possibles, most have coated hooks on the boat side to not chip the gelcoat.

And the "I just paid $xxx and this was not included" is the most common statement here (and on all boat boards) - Your Sea Ray was marked up so much that they could have thrown in a pair of skis, vests for all family members, ropes, tie downs, pizza for the first year of ownership, manicures for the ladies, a nice set of dinnerware, and a cool TV set !

You paid $10,000 less than a ma$tercraft, or uncorrect craft. But you bitch about $12 ????

Go enjoy the boat!

-Joe

TL7
07-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes the Sea Ray was marked up, but I knew what I was getting. Everything I needed was included. Don't fool yourself...Moomba's are marked up as well. Bitching over $12 dollars is the entire point..you shouldn't have to.

cab13367
07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
TL7,

I had exactly the same reaction. And as a counter to Joe's point, I bought a low end, 19' stern drive brand new in 1991 for $12k and it came with transom tie downs. When I asked the Moomba dealer about the absence of the tie downs, the response I got was that transom tie downs are not necessary on inboards. The reason stern drives have them is because they are more prone to bouncing up and down due to the outdrive hanging back there. I bought tie-downs anyway.

The ones I got are the ratchet type. Both hooks are vinyl coated and the ratchet device rests against the trailer bunk, not the boat, and have a thick protective webbing as well that prevents the boat (or in my case, the trailer bunk) from being in direct contact with the ratchet. I bought it either at Home Depot or GI Joes, I forget which. I'll try to upload a pic of it tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

Al

zabooda
07-03-2007, 12:33 PM
I use tie downs when I travel out of town to satisify the law but I did sew a strip of deck carpeting like on the trailer runners on the end of the webbing next to the hook (so the carpet piece stays attached to the strap)and then I sewed velcro on the ends so the carpet piece is between the hook and the boat and wrapped around the hook and held in place by the velcro. No scratches. The straps go between the boat and the rear deck.

Bulldgz
07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
TL7
I know you probably bought your tie downs already. I went a step further and went to "Wally World" (Walmart) in the automotive section they had seatbelt muffs for a couple of bucks that already have velcro on them. I wrap these around the straps where I think they may damage the gel coat and then velocro them. They give a nice uniform look and help protect the gel coat. I haven't had any problems yet.

My 2cents Hope this is helpful.

:roll: Bulldgz - Reno Nv

drhodes5
07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Try these tie downs. They are well worth the extra money. They fit perfectly on the trailermate trailer. I have them on my 06 LSV.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=BoatBuckle_Tie_Down_System&cname=Tie-Downs&r=view&i=32050&aID=26H

Bulldgz
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
drhodes5

Those are pretty impressive. I think I like your set up better than mine. I may just invest in a a set..

Thanks

JoeTechie
07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
TL7,

To counter Al's reply

The "low end stern drive" still had a greater percent markup. Those things that "line the bay" are made like twinkies. Spray stuff into a mold, it flufs up and then robotically inject filling, then pop it out of the mold before it's done. fluffy and soft, and no substance. sure, they throw in lots of stuff - they have no costs in the boat - they make so many for so little.

Moomba is essentially the same boat as the Supra baring some upgraded amenities. Hand laid glass, thick gelcoat, top quality hardware, top quality engines, same electronics and technology as all the rest - but maybe a year or two older. Each boat is custom built. Each is different. Go buy an orange and blue bayliner. So for the same stuff as a $60k boat, you paid $35k. Percentagewise - there is NOT the Same markup. I'm sure if you told your dealer that above the $1500 off of the already low bottom line he gave you - you made tie downs a deal breaker - he would send Woody from the shop over to k-mart to spend the $12 himself.

Get over it already.
Or buy a Supra or a Mastercraft or Nautique, or Tige or Malibu and ask those dealers to throw in everything - they will still look at you funny, but at least they have $5000 more to play with.

-J

lowdrag
07-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I'll have to second drhodes suggestion. That was one of the first things I bought when we got our new boat and it was a great investment. No more stowing the straps after you take them off or getting them out later and no more worrying about placing something between the buckle and the boat to avoid scratching. They're always right there and it only takes a few seconds to hook them up and tighten them down.

gdubb
07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
When it comes to the topic of saving money buying a Moomba this gets me a little hot. I bought my Moomba because I liked it the best. I had a mastercraft Pro Star 190 and decided to make a switch to a V drive. After looking at all the Manufactures the Moomba was the Boat that I felt was the best. Yes it was less Money. BUT and I mean it was the boat that gave me the most for what I was looking for. I like the style and the performance. I had my last boat for 16 years and plan on having this one for a long time. I bought an outback v because it was the best smaller V drive on the market. Moomba has been great in getting my boat to me on time and servicing all of my needs. I am not real worried about free tie downs. I am just happy of the quality of boat that I purchased. I have 98 hours on it this season with out a single problem. I think that speaks about the quality of boat that we all have.

GW

NC05LSV
07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
If you go to Wally world they have retractable "Rod Savers" that do the same as Dr put on here but for a lot less. They are guaranteed the same as the others and you can save a few bucks. Takes me like 30 seconds to completely tie the boat down with them. Good luck

TL7
07-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Joe sounds like you are the one who needs to get over it. This post was not about boat markups it was about freaking tie downs. I could care less about your cost analysis, but thanks for researching it for everyone else. Enjoy your day...I am.

lowdrag
07-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I saw the Rod Saver tie downs that they sell at Walmart before I bought a set of the boat buckles. The big difference between the two is the weight rating. The Rod Savers were only rated at 1800# each while the boat buckles are rated at 5000# each. Normally that would seem like a little overkill but one of the reasons I always use the tie downs is in case of a worst case scenario like an accident. I like the little extra security knowing that the boat is less likely to come off of the trailer in the case of an impact.