PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery ... where to hook the amp?

Burke
06-27-2007, 05:20 PM
So I've looked through the dual battery posts, but couldn't find an answer to this question.

I have a dual battery setup, running through a Perko switch. Battery 1 is my starting battery. Battery 2 is my deep cycle Optima accessory battery.

Right now, I have my amps wiring into battery 2. I always keep the Perko at the 1+2 setting, except for when we are floating. Then I put it on 2 so as to only drain the Optima battery.

My question is: should the amps be connected to the 2nd battery, or should they be wiring into the output of the Perko switch? I'm not sure if it even matters, but thought I'd see what everybody else is doing.

Thanks

98outback
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
i purchased a kit from skiers choice that lets me run dual batteries without having to switch. There is an electronics box that goes between the cranking battery and the aux battery. The aux battery will not pull charge from the cranking battery if it gets to a certain voltage that way you can still start the boat.

qb12
06-27-2007, 06:04 PM
98, what kind of $ was that. also did it include any instructions.

db

zabooda
06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
RV stores have the electronic isolators. I have more info on another post.

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4489

98outback
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I cant remember exactly. I believe I paid between $80.00 -100.00. It is well worth it. You do not have to worry about switching between batteries. I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. I got the module and all battery cables and directions to connect it. very easy. Only took about 10-15 minutes.