PDA

View Full Version : shoes or no shoes?

csumerall
06-24-2007, 09:51 PM
I have a no shoes allowed in the boat rule, and the first year my family and friends all understood that it was a brand new boat and followed it willingly. But, going into the 2nd year when I mentioned that the rule still stood, I was informed by my significant other that I was being somewhat anal about it. I realize that most peoples shoes are clean but at the same time, I dont really enjoy cleaning sand and small rocks out of the carpet. I'll put it out to you guys to let me know whether I'm being "anal"or not.

realleigh
06-24-2007, 09:58 PM
No shoes, no question.

The most damage ever done to the side my 99 was by me, last summer, with deckhoes BEING CAREFUL.

Even grandpa has to take his black shoes an white socks off.

Fight the fight.

Duncan

smokedog2
06-24-2007, 10:26 PM
05 - no shoes. Why wear them?

I have dogs & kids so it doesn't help much but that's the rule.

zabooda
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Shoes or no shoes doesn't matter as much as clean shoes or clean feet. I have them sit on the back deck and take the shoes off, clap them together over the side and dip the soles in the water. If the shoes still have stuff stuck to them then I put them in a corner. I've been the biggest culprit on tracking stuff in as I leave a beach site and getting the boat going. I've had to go to the emergency room once after stepping on glass so I insist that people wear their sandels until getting on the rear deck.

Pike
06-25-2007, 02:53 AM
NO SHOES!! Its hard enough preventing stains with dirty feet!

When your friends drop 30-50k on a boat they can wear shoes all they want. Untill then.....BE THE SHOE NAZI!! :D

Buttafewcoe
06-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Obviously arguments for both. We bring our shoes to the boat, but remove them in the boat. That way they are available when/if needed
B

gdubb
06-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I am with Ed G. I have an 07 outback v and since I wear my shoes in it I guess that I cant ask anyone else to take theirs off. I do enforce a not shoes on the seats rule. When I remember early in the day before beer thirty

JoeTechie
06-25-2007, 10:05 AM
NO SHOES.

The cushion behind the driver is for shoes - they are taken off right before boarding, slapped together to remove sand, and placed in that hold. Shoes are silly on a boat with carpet. Some of the OB's and OB V's have no carpet up front so I can see a reason - grip. But this way, the sand stays on the beach and not in the boat.

Ed - just say it, "My boat is a garbage can" - set yourself free.

:D

-Joe

(waiting for Ed's "Joe's anal-retentive cleaning" response)

deerfield
06-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Clear liquids only and no shoes.

moombamania
06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
No Shoes and seriously no flying beer cans. Sorry Ed, your post turned me off to seriously looking at a boat that has been treated in that manor.

gdubb
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Ed,

Just to let you know I dod the same thing with my boat. In fact this post is making me laugh because yesterday we had my boat filled with cans and there was a pic taken with me in the back. I will post it so you can get a laugh.

GW

moombamania
06-25-2007, 01:02 PM
"Ah, Ok.

This is supposed to mean something to me???

Good grief Ed... No, just a statement on my perception of boat care, just as yours was, I am not advertising, you are, thus the comment.

04OUTBACK
06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I am with you on the Clear Liquids! 2nd trip this year we had guests with Red Gatorade! YEP, Spilled! Came out, but no Red Drinks Rule Now. I don't make a big deal about shoes...most everyone has flip flops.. problem I have had is not dirt, but tar from parking lot... I get enough dirt in getting in and out at my storage lot.

moomba_armada
06-25-2007, 01:56 PM
No shoes here, sandy beaches make a mess if you let everyone in with shoes,so sit on the platform and wash your feet before getting on board.
Will not shoot anyone though for an omission :twisted: ...for now.

edwindenijs
06-25-2007, 03:03 PM
no shoes on my boat.
just take them out before going on board, and the shoes will be storred on board. with the carpet it is not of any use to wear shoes.

gotmyboat
06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I am with Ed on this one. My boat is usually filled with kids, and a good time is more important to me than being the policeman. Part of the reason I went for a Moomba instead of a Malibu was because I wanted a 'utility' boat and not a showpiece. Turns out I got a little of both (it does look gooood!!) If people ask about shoes I tell them to do what is most comfortable, but to please not step on the seats with shoes.
We camped last weekend with another family and we had 4 adults and 6 kids on the Outback. They pulled out one of those HUGE Costco cartons of rainbow goldfish crackers. My 10yo daughter tipped the thing over and we had little fishies everywhere. At first my jaw clenched and I started to get up-tight, but then I let it go and had a good time. I just cleaned my carpets last night with my 'Little Green' cleaner, and they look great. I don't ever want my 'stuff' to be more important to me than people. I want my friends to be able to relax and have a good time.

Just my $.02. Oh, and amber liquid is the only thing allowed on my boat. Even the kids have to drink beer. :o

I'm just kidding, don't call Social Services or anything.

Dave

jburnside
06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
No shoes on our '05 Mobius LSV. I even try to keep the snacks to pretzels or plain chips. Have you ever tried to get Doritos out of your carpet? Hated it! But then again I'm pretty much the only member of my family that actually "cleans" the boat. Sure they all drag their crap out of it at the end of the day and sometimes they even help wipe it down when we put it on the trailer but that's pretty much where the help stops. So as soon as they all start really helping I'll relax the rules. Good topic.

zabooda
06-25-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm with Ed too except I rinse the cans out since the water is right there. If kids I don't know are having water or sand fights near my boat I do direct them down to the boats where people are shoeless especially the Malibus. I love the beach.

Pike
06-25-2007, 08:27 PM
NO SHOES.

The cushion behind the driver is for shoes - they are taken off right before boarding, slapped together to remove sand, and placed in that hold. Shoes are silly on a boat with carpet. Some of the OB's and OB V's have no carpet up front so I can see a reason - grip. But this way, the sand stays on the beach and not in the boat.

Ed - just say it, "My boat is a garbage can" - set yourself free.

-Joe

(waiting for Ed's "Joe's anal-retentive cleaning" response)

LOL @ Joes post

Preach the word Joe!! "Its just a boat" Yes....but...."ITS JUST A BOAT THAT I PAID $50k for so excuse me if I want to keep it nice!!

:lol:

gdubb
06-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Ed,

you have to be kidding me about the knowledge you have about Western Pa. I live hear at Conneaut Lake and it has turned into a train wreck. There is no sking on the weekends except for the Pittsburghers that are "muhere" for the weekend,(and I can say that because I am one). If you ever are heading this way you better get ahold of me for a run on the Outeback V that I just bought. By the way it is the best boat that I have ever owned and this is coming for a former mastercraft guy! Keep the beer flowing and the cans coming. In fact I just spent an afternoon on the waterand filled the boat up 2 day with IC Light empties. You kow us WPA guys.

GW

csumerall
06-25-2007, 11:27 PM
well thanks for all the reply's it more or less reinforced my feelings but now I can show my wife that its normal to be "anal" about it. I dont make everyone walk from the truck without shoes just before they get on i ask that they remove shoes. As far as the liquid goes its mostly amber except my 2 year old who pretty much does what she wants but thats a battle i cant win. Anyways thanks again.

JoeTechie
06-26-2007, 12:53 AM
I think we covered the "off-limits foods" on a previous post, but for SURE, no doritos, cheetoes, cheese puffs or any other "orange powder" foods. My gf loves anything cherry, but luckily the Capri Suns are clear... I actually had some friends bring their own food cooler one day and during lunch they open a tub of fresh Salsa, and 3 fruit punches!... My jaw dropped.

They ate on the swim platform !

-J

gdubb
06-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Ed,

You can keep the rolling rock. I will stick with Strabb and IC light. Have a great trip up here and when you make the trip to LK Latonka you are more than invited to swing by Conneaut for a ski run and a day on the lake. Are you bringing the Moomba up for Kinzu? I have not pulled my baot there yet but I think that we are planning a trip in August.

GW

tazz3069
06-26-2007, 07:15 PM
My boat is brand new and I do not allow shoes on the boat. If people enter the boat from shore, they need to sit on the swim step and clean their feet. If you eat on my boat, you must sit on the swim step. This sounds crazy, but this is how you keep your things looking good. Along with a good wash and wax. Remember, we have beautiful expensive boats and not playgrounds(sand boxes) and picnic tables. I also agree with the clear liquids. WATER DOES NOT STAIN!!!!!!
My two cents
Tazz

JesseC
06-27-2007, 12:04 AM
I never did aquire a taste for IC. I was always a Rolling Rock, Mickey's or Strohs guy. Drank a lot of IC when I was going to The Rock. Every Friday night our fraternity (TKE) would get 12 half kegs and charge a $1 a person.

Back then (1980) a 1/2 barrel was only $16!

Ed, I try to stick to yuengling lager as the beer of my choice. Once I tried it I can not bring myself to try anything else! I guess I could make an exception just for you!! You can bring beer, cheese poofs and cherrys on my boat whenever you like! We can spit cherry pits off the side of the boat and get cheese poof powder all over the place!!!

Sled491
06-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Shoes? are you kidding, no way! Summer is for bare feet or flip flops. My kids create enough mess, I don't need any more dirt in the boat. We have a house on an island and we need a boardwalk to get past the how do we say it....oh yeah rich soil( 150 ft, + 100 of dock just to get enough water). My last boat that I just traded in was a 98 and every one always commented on how good it looked, and there was a good reason for that. NO SHOES in my boat! 8)

moombadaze
06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
no shoes-but that is how i like to go boating--naked feet's

hyjack,-Ed how is the water level???
still looking at the "v"-how is the donation's going?

stacy

Burke
06-28-2007, 11:56 AM
No shoes on my boat.

Especially with all my buddies, including me, wearing the Reef Fanning sandals with a metal bottle opener on the bottom. One slip and that could be a healthy looking scratch to the gel coat.

davidl
06-29-2007, 01:35 AM
:shock: My wife has a tub in the front storage area for ALL SANDALS OR SHOES and believe me they are removed before intering her kingdom on water. I have to agree we want our boat to last and look nice for years to come.

csumerall
06-29-2007, 02:05 AM
so with out adding the poll it seems like its roughly a 75 % against shoes and a 25% for what ever including shoes.

cptmoomba
06-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Need a third option for discouraged. Sometimes when it is 95+, it is too hot even on the carpet to stay barefoot.

Buttafewcoe
06-30-2007, 06:43 AM
.....when it is 95+, it is too hot even on the carpet to stay barefoot..
You ain't lyin'.
I stay under the bimini where there's shade, and splash water on the sun pad, just to be able to sit on it
B

teamctl
06-30-2007, 10:14 PM
In my new 07 Outback V, the first rule was "NO SHOES!". I've been trying to enforce the "NO SHIRTS" but the ladies just don't go for it :wink:

Sled491
07-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I like the no shirt rule :lol: