PDA

View Full Version : 99 Outback - Is the Divider Panel Necessary?

realleigh
06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
I was installing a depthfinder in my 99 Outback, and to more easily route the wiring, removed the divider panel that is between the feet of the driver, and the storage compartment under the starboard bow seat. It has only four screws holding it in and, once removed, actually made that storage space accessible. There is now space for the spare cooler!

The panel does not appear to be structural - any thoughts on leaving it out altogether?

Thanks, Duncan

zabooda
06-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I have a 98 and the panel does not do much more than keep stuff in the storage compartment. I have a heater behind my panel so there is is not much room for anything else. Besides, I have the subwoofer, fire extinguisher, heater vent and the sub amp located on the panel so it does not go anywhere.

realleigh
06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks - I was thinking of mounting my sub in this panel if it goes back (I have no heater, and the extinguisher is on the floor beside the seat). Is yours cut into the panel? I have an external box, it takes up a lot of room, but sounds great. If yours is in the panel, is it boomy, and/or does it vibrate the dash?

Duncan

zabooda
06-22-2007, 01:27 AM
The first thing I did when I got my boat was to move the extinguisher from the floor to the panel. The subwoofer is flush with the panel and works best when the stereo volume is low or when I'm not sitting in the seat as the bass comes shooting right at you. With the amp and speaker attached to the board, it makes it hard to move it around as the panel got really heavy. The bass comes out real well and no rattling since the panel is carpet to carpet. The amp is at the top of the panel out of view of prying eyes, won't get wet and enough air to stay fairly cool.