PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

TN_Boarder
06-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Anyone else had any problems with their trailer vibrating when braking? I thought initially that it was my truck when I was towing with my Tacoma, but now I'm towing with a new Armada and the vibration is still bad. I'm wondering if maybe I have a warped brake rotor on the trailer or is this something to be expected with this type of braking system (actuator).

Buttafewcoe
06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
My trailer 'bucks' a little when being towed and the boat isn't on it. No problems w/ vibration, though. 2004 model w/ single axle
B

kmcg
06-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I have a 2006 LSV with a single axle trailer. The breaks vibrate when light pressure is applied. The vibration goes away when I really start to break hard. It would be nice to find out if it can be fixed.

csumerall
06-24-2007, 12:48 AM
are you towing the trailer with the boat on or off? You could pull the tire off and check to make sure everything is all clean also you could check to make sure that on the tongue of the trailer the cylinder doesnt have any obstructions and the pin slot is smooth

Buttafewcoe
06-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Jack the trailer up and check your wheel hub bearing play.
Grip the tire @ 12:00 and 6:00, wriggle it. There should be no more than an 1/8" movement.
Hope this helps
B

TN_Boarder
06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I have a 2006 LSV with a single axle trailer. The breaks vibrate when light pressure is applied. The vibration goes away when I really start to break hard. It would be nice to find out if it can be fixed.

I have the same year/model and the problem is exactly as you describe it.

Psmartell
06-25-2007, 07:34 PM
What youare experiencing is normal. When empty there is no weight to put down ward force on axles. What I mean is that the energy being transmitted from the braking force is being transmitted thru the trailer as the weight is nominal to the hydraulic pressure being exuded. My last boat had drum brakes and empty she would do a can-can. You will notice on tractor trailers that when empty the trailer will hop up and down slightly on medium to hard application of air brakes but grab like a mother when loaded. You will get some rotor warping if you put your trailer right in the water with out letting cool for a few minutes. When that happens take the rotors to any NAPA or shop that turns rotors and they can true them up for you

TN_Boarder
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm experiencing this with the boat on the trailer.

Waynes345
06-25-2007, 09:13 PM
There is a pretty extensive thread on this problem here:

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=1311&highlight=trailer

I've got a 2005 trailer and experience the same problem empty. Not much you can do about it. Scares the crap out of my wife on occasion.

JoeTechie
06-26-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm experiencing this with the boat on the trailer.

:!:

cab13367
06-26-2007, 07:03 PM
TN,

For reference, I have a 2006 LSV with the double axle trailer and I feel no vibration whatsoever when braking (with or without the boat on the trailer). Tow vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Durango if you think it's relevant. Note that I have brakes on only one axle so the set up should be the same as yours (other than the extra axle). Warped rotor would be my guess.

FYI, one spot that we go to has some seriously steep roads en route (the sign says 17% grade I believe) and the trailer brakes are a godsend. No way I could make it thru without overcooking the Durango's brakes if the trailer didn't have brakes.

Hope that helps.

Al