PDA

View Full Version : Already a new transmission and now boat wont start.

gt9118
06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
07 LSV
Used the boat all weekend and then yesterday afternoon we were floating around the lake for an hour or so listening to music and so on. When I tried to start the boat I got nothing. It was trying to start but making a sputtering noise and shaking. It acted like it was out of gas. (had a half tank) about an hour after getting towed in I tried starting her up again and had no problems. The boat acted like nothing was wrong. Took it for a quick ride to see if I could tell anything different. Boat seemed fine. I parked the boat and tried again about an hour later. Same thing wouldnt start. Any suggestions?

Wake Master
06-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Which engine do you have as I am having a similar problem with a 07 XLV 340 EXT/CAT. I also am in Michigan near Sturgis.

gt9118
06-19-2007, 09:46 AM
I have the Indmar 325. I talked with the dealer yesterday and they said it was becasue of the heat but that is not a good enough answer for me. The boat is going in today so we will find out.

gt9118
06-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Has anyone had a problem with vapor lock? This seems to be the problem.

JoeTechie
06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Search for "Vapor Lock" comes up with LOTS of threads!!!

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=1966&highlight=vapor+lock

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=3235&highlight=vapor+lock

Try it.

-Joe

Wake Master
06-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok this is the answer I got today. Indmar is sending the dealer a kit that will include a low pressure fuel pump mounted at the gas tank this will feed the high pressure fuel pump. The problem with not starting they say is that the fuel system must see 60PSI for the injectors to open. They think that when the engine is sitting the heat in the engine area is causing the fuel to vaporize between the pump and the tank and the main fuel pump can not get the pressure up to 60PSI due to this vaporization. Have your dealer call Larry at Indmar.

Engine Nut
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Ok this is the answer I got today. Indmar is sending the dealer a kit that will include a low pressure fuel pump mounted at the gas tank this will feed the high pressure fuel pump. The problem with not starting they say is that the fuel system must see 60PSI for the injectors to open. They think that when the engine is sitting the heat in the engine area is causing the fuel to vaporize between the pump and the tank and the main fuel pump can not get the pressure up to 60PSI due to this vaporization. Have your dealer call Larry at Indmar.

A little clarification. The issue we have been seeing that is presumed to vapor lock is a condition that appears to be most prevalent on the 2007 model 340 engines with ETX CAT manifolds. The theory is that the extra heat generated by the catalysts allows the heat to build up in the bilge after the engine has been run for a period of time and then shut off. After it sits for a while a condition called "heat soak" raises the temperature in the bilge and allows the fuel in the line between the pump and tank to vaporize. The high pressure fuel pump will not pump vapor.

That being said, you can reduce the possibility of happening on any boat by doing a few simple things.

First, make sure your fuel filter is clean. As the fuel pump draws fuel from the tank through the filter, it creates a low pressure (vacuum) in the line. The harder the pump has to work the more vacuum is applied to the fuel. Fuel vaporzes at a lower temperature when it is exposed to a vacuum.

Make sure there are no restrictions in the fuel line between the tank and pump. The best condition is to have as straight and short of a line as possible. Each bend in the line can cause the pump to have to work harder and increase the vacuum.

After a hard run, try to let the engine run for a minute or two before shutting it off. This will help "normalize" the engine temperature and remove as much heat as possible from the engine. It might even help to disengage the shift control and raise the engine RPM in neutral to pump more water through the engine before shutting down.

Leave the bilge blower on after the engine is shut down to bring as much fresh air into the bilge as possible. Also, make sure the bilge vent hose isn't blocked, restricted or even disconnected from the vent and that the vent isn't blocked externally. It is not a bad idea on a hot day to lt the blower run all the time the engine is running .You'll also want to make sure to turn the blower on well before starting (if you shut it off) to make sure things are cooled off. This is not an unrealistic thing to do ... how many cars do you walk by on a hot day and hear the fan running after tha car has been shut off.

Your boat is significantly different than a car. The bilge of a boat typically does not have a lot of air circulating around it unless the blower is on. Also, cars have their fuel pumpslocated in the fuel tank.This keeps the pump cooler and allows the fuel between thepump and tank to be pressurized whichraises the vaporization temperature.

Try buying fuel from another source. We recommend using gasoline from a "Top Tier" supplier. Yuo can find which suppliers sell Top Tier fuel by checking out the following site. http://www.toptiergas.com/

I hope this gives you a little insight into vapor lock. It is a condition that has been around for a long time.It can be very frustrating but can be prevented in many cases by following a few simple procedures.

Buttafewcoe
06-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Explained like a man who knows what he's talking about.
B

gt9118
06-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Would using premium help at all? Our dealer told us that using 87 would be fine.

BLKOUTLS
06-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I think this is becoming more of an issue today as storage / usable space takes a priority and engine compartments are getting smaller both in DD,Vdrives. Not knowing the exact placement of the fresh intake hoses
I would think it might not be a bad idea to install a switchable blower on
one of these to be able to bring cool air to the engine as you sit or shut down.Somewhere in the front storage area or under the drivers area not
in the bilge area I do not think it would restrict the amount of air coming in at normal speed and would help cool it. Might be something to look at.

JoeTechie
06-22-2007, 04:02 PM
The manual says 89 Octane. (Not 87, not 93.)

Try to stay as close to that as possible.

-J