PDA

View Full Version : 14 year girls

Sled491
06-14-2007, 09:29 PM
So my buddy has 06 outback, nice boat, inspired me to buy my 07. His 14 year old daughter has it out this afternoon just hanging out on the lake. Her friend is out on a borrowed jetski and was trying to show off. She tried to spray my buddies daughter wit a little side skid move. As you can guess an 80 pound 14 year old girl really doesn't have it in her to really throw a 500 lb jet ski around, so the jet ski won the battle between rider and ski.

Problem was that my buddies Outback took the brunt of it. Jet ski landed on the gunnel and took the gel coat down to the glass mesh for about 5 feet.

Looks like skiing this weekend will be off of my boat.

SiglooLSV
06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Ouch!!! Lucky no one was hurt. I have this sick feeling in my stomach just thinking about if that were to happen to my boat.

JoeTechie
06-15-2007, 09:55 AM
14 year olds should not be operating jet ski's alone, nor tow boats alone !!!

Obviously the 14 year old jet ski rider does not even know that what she did was a dangerous or deadly stunt, and that it is a huge fine in every state now, and in some results in loss of license privledges or operation privledges for a year.

Someone needs to take these really cool toys away from them for a LONG time !

I was raised around boats and have had SAFE fun for my entire life. The same treatment of cars and guns should be appllied to boats (especially PWC), yet for some they are treated like trampolines or scooters.

Hopefullly all parties involved learned something.

Feel free to brag about your new toy !

;)

-J

Wolf-
06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
14 year olds should not be operating jet ski's alone, nor tow boats alone !!!

Obviously the 14 year old jet ski rider does not even know that what she did was a dangerous or deadly stunt, and that it is a huge fine in every state now, and in some results in loss of license privledges or operation privledges for a year.

Someone needs to take these really cool toys away from them for a LONG time !

I was raised around boats and have had SAFE fun for my entire life. The same treatment of cars and guns should be appllied to boats (especially PWC), yet for some they are treated like trampolines or scooters.

Hopefullly all parties involved learned something.

-J

Well said.

Sled491
06-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Problem is that in the State of Wisconsin, a 12 year old boy or girl can go and take the DNR's operators course, pass the test and off they go. It's much more restrictive for cars and a bit more restrictive for guns and hunting, but like you said they make it way to easy. Like I've said before, it seems that any one who can afford a boat and goes and buys one can be out driving around right away with little or no training, and little or no idea about what they are doing.

I have family members who fill this bill as well, and I just don't understand it

Nimrod
06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
12 year olds can also take a boating course in Minnesota - through the mail - and then pass the test - through the mail. My son and daughter both did this. Does this mean I let them operate a boat by themselves? NO!!!! I still won't let my 15 year old son take the boat by himself ESPECIALLY if his friends are around - I'm not crazy. 17 year old daughter no problem. Every kid is different but when thier friends are around things can get out of hand fast.

JoeTechie
06-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Well put nimrod. Having certification does not mean they are "ready" or responsible enough.

-J

p.s. PLEASE reduce the size of your avitar PIC.

jamesmoon2
06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
i have been riding waverunners since i was 15 and have never had a problem or a formal instruction course. (private lake) a parent needs to decide when a kid is ready to control a dangerous motor vehicle. some kids do not deserve to be on the road at 16,17 but they are legally allowed to. each kid is different, just like nimrod said.

smokedog2
07-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Yea, when my some passes the test at 12, he will get the boat keys and a lot of instruction. stupid knows no age limit.

gdubb
07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Along these same lines I think when it comes to PWC's there is an amount of responsibility that must be taken by all. I have had one since the days of 30 mph to today in the 70's. I have seen more wrecks by adults that kids on my lake. Just because you spent $10,000 on the PWC does not give the owner the knowledge to ride. I love PWC but they scare me.

JoeTechie
07-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Most people do not think of PWC as boats so do not think they need the same training. They are "toys".

:roll:

Why is it that stupid people are the ones who are the most offended when they are told what is right and wrong ?

The word "education" is becoming a four letter word in this country.

-J

Sled491
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Man ain't that the truth Joe.

As an update my buddy got his boat back friday and it looks perfect. Bill to girls father who was driving the PWC... $2000.00. Her father just remended her that this was enought money to put down on her car when she turned 16. She got the picture!

BensonWdby
07-10-2007, 10:59 PM
So you guys will love this one then. A friend was trying to spray the floating dock with his jet ski (with a rider on the back). You guessed it - got too close and hit the raft. Threw everyone off the raft, but did not lose the riders. No one hurt thankfully. They inspected the jet ski and noticed very little sign of impact. Just some scuffing on the rub rail. They parked it for the night and came back to find it submerged in the morning. There was a baseball sized hole below the water line.

The funny part of this, is that the group was familiar with my feelings regarding jet skis, and one of the teens who did not know me very well asked: "Do you think Dave (me) would have come over and put a hole in this over night?"

I almost died laughing. Not that I had not considered it ...

Dave

Sled491
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
That's priceless!

gotmyboat
07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
When I was towing my daughter on a kneeboard last week, 2 goobers on jetskis decided to start jumping my wake. They were cutting in about 10 feet behind my daughter and all I could see in my mind was her falling and being run down by those idiots. We tried to wave them off but they just didn't get it. As they were leaving my wake I had my daughter let go and I did one of those power-turns that piss me off so much. This was the one situation that they are necessary for. I was a boiling at this point and as I came around, some demon inside me yelled "BACK OFF A$$HOLES!!!!!" I had my other 2 daughters and one of their friends on the boat, so it wasn't my proudest moment. After I got my daughter in the boat the jetskiers were just sitting about 50 yds away. I would have liked to take a minute to go over and explain why their actions were dangerous and rude, but I had lost all credibility with my outburst. As I started to leave they followed me and started going for my wake. That was when I dropped the hammer and let the Outback do the talking. There is really no wake at 40MPH.

I really do feel sometimes like I am the only one on the lake who cares, or is paying attention. I love to be in my boat on the water, but I am always aware of the inherent danger in what I am doing. Put someone in the water behind the boat, and the danger increases exponentially. My wife thinks I'm a grouch when the water gets crowded and people get stupid. I just can't relax when I am feeling an impending disaster.

I agree wholeheartedly that anyone operating anything bigger than a rowboat or canoe should have to have formal training and pass a test. I'll be the first one to sign up for the class!!

Dave

SEARK
07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I had a similar situation a few years ago with jetskiers (idots). My kneeboarder did fall and the idots missed her by inches. First thing I did after checking on my rider was chase down the idots until they stopped. Needless to say when I got through with them (nothing physical) the jetski was sitting on the bank and they were scared to death to come back out. The thing about them is they were visting family from out of town and had never been on a jetski before that day.

I had some trying to jump my wake last weekend so I just slowed down to idol speed until they got the picture and moved on.

I hate jetskis

zabooda
07-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I had jetskiers jumping my wake with a wakeboarder in tow. I had a break and stopped the boat picked up the boarder went to the jet skieers and told them they can jump the wake all they want but not with someone in tow. I gave them a good wake, got on my cell phone acting like I was talking to friends, called the sheriff and gave my location and I even drove them to the sheriff and they got busted. I took off and we finished our boarding. I really don't see much of that anymore where I live as they do enforce the reckless driving rules.