PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Lakes - Need a new spot

JesseC
06-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, my local spot Lay lake has been pronounced dead for the summer! :cry: The water level has gotten too low to launch the boat and the water ways just aren't safe. Where are the rest of you AL guys going? I need a new spot. I have only ridden my new board twice and I need help!!!!

Swamp Buggy
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I love Lake Martin (not Logan Martin) but I am not sure what the water levels are like down there right now. I know there are some very nice very deep and safe areas. Where are you located?

Dave A
06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Jesse,

Is it not safe to go out of Beeswax? I was planning on leaving there and heading towards Wilsonville past the powerplant. Let me know if you have heard anything bad about that area, I know the lake is going to be down 3-1/2 feet, but I thought the channels would be safe.

Lake Martin is down 6'3". They are measuring in inches now. They will probably be at their winter levels by July.

Dave

SEARK
06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I guess that is a problem everywhere. I'm in SE Arkansas and our lake is dropping fast, mostly due to irrigation. I'm picking up my new LS tomorrow (1st Moomba) and hope I get to use it the rest of the summer.

scoot_gt
06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Why would I give away my secret spot? :shock:

<-- Hint, look at my location :) I should be out there tomorrow but have to come back to the city Sunday for Papa's Day :(

Wolf-
06-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I love Lake Martin (not Logan Martin) but I am not sure what the water levels are like down there right now. I know there are some very nice very deep and safe areas. Where are you located?

Georgia Power Lakes:
http://lakes.southernco.com/

Alabama Power Lakes:
http://www.alabamapower.com/lakes/iframe_lakelevel.asp

Martin is under Boating Hazard Warnings!
If you do know know the lake, recommend you stay off it.
Many shoals that are normally 6-7 feet under the surface are visible.

Do be careful!

JesseC
06-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Jesse,

Is it not safe to go out of Beeswax? I was planning on leaving there and heading towards Wilsonville past the powerplant. Let me know if you have heard anything bad about that area, I know the lake is going to be down 3-1/2 feet, but I thought the channels would be safe.

Lake Martin is down 6'3". They are measuring in inches now. They will probably be at their winter levels by July.

Dave

I have not heard anything official about the lake levels. It just makes me really nervous to run in Lay lake with the water levels that low. We had a tough time loading the boat at Okomo last week. My parents said the dock is unuseable and they pulled their pontoon boat out last week. I am going to look into lake Jordan to see what it is like. It appears that this lake is only down a few inches, but I do not know anything about it. Let me know how the power plant looks, I may go out next weekend if what you find is acceptable.