PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Gauge

Waynes345
06-12-2007, 11:12 PM
As a newbie to the Moomba community I appreciate any help. I recently picked up a '99 Outback. Ran it about 10 hours and heading out for another tow noticed the temp gauge running up towards 250 when it was always about 170. I got towed back to the dock and checked the intake, impleller and pulled and checked the function of the thermostat. Seemed to be working OK, but replaced anyway as it was $9. Everything seemed good until this weekend when pulling a set the temp started to climb again. On a whim, tapped the gauge and it dropped back to 170. Happened several times over the weekend. The tach also started to act flaky at idle speed sometimes waving between 6 and 20k rpm although it always settled down. Anyone seen anything like this before? Gauges, senders, or what? Thanks in advance for help.

Buttafewcoe
06-13-2007, 03:20 AM
My new '04 had a loose wire at the temp guage that had come out of the eyelet. I put a new eyelet on and attached to the guage. No worries since. I did go check some of the other connections while poking around under there and found a couple on the ground strip that needed addressed.
Hope this helps
B

MOBIU5
06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
what did you end up finding out about your gauge issue ? was it overheating or the gauge ? having similar issues w/ my 05 lsv.
Thanks

Buttafewcoe
06-22-2007, 11:28 AM
If you have a raw water strainer on the intake side of the impellor, check to make sure it's not full of debris. Inspect your impellor. Inspect the trans cooler inlet also. There are little cooling fins inside that can get clogged with debris and impede water flow, esp if you do not have a raw watter strainer. If all that checks out, you may want to take a look at the thermostat. The indmar set up for boats is fairly simple and easy to troubleshoot.
Hope this helps
B

Waynes345
06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Inspected the intake, impeller, replaced the thermostat first thing though it appeared to be functioning when tested in hot water. As the temp rises, I tap the gauge and it returns to normal. I'll be going through the wiring this weekend if I have time. Thanks for responses.

Wayne