PDA

View Full Version : Peeved Moomba Owner

boater0317
06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. I purchased a 1999 Moomba Mobius in November of 2006. I have only put 26 hours on the boat since. The boat was purchased from Watersports of Central Florida. This is the first boat I have ever purchased and I would consider myself to have minimal knowledge in terms of the mechanics of boats

Since purchasing it I have had to replace the carburetor, bilge pump twice, solenoid, oil pressure gauge, the oil pressure sensor, a tire, among a few other minor things. I was a bit peeved I had to replace the carb after the first use, but accepted it as I expected a few items would need to be replaced. What did anger me was that I test drove it not a week before and the engine ran fine (no stuttering in idle or difficulty starting it). This suggests to me that the dealer had gotten the engine very warm before he allowed me to fire it up (unbeknownst to me). Still I let it go.

Three months after the purchase my tire blows on the highway, despite having checked its tire pressure before I made the trip. Ok I can deal with that too.

Then my boat wouldn’t start apparently because the oil pressure wasn’t being read. The owner upon sale told me the oil pressure gauge didn’t read, but claimed that had no effect on how the boat ran, and that it wasn’t important. He’s a boat expert, I know very little about the mechanics of boats…I take his word. Costs me around $500.

Last week I was on a drive to the lake, and made a turn into the park where the lake was at driving no faster than 20 miles per hour and I look behind me and my wheel is at a forty five degree angle. Turns out the axle collapsed. Now I’m angry. I spend $200 to get it towed to the shop, and then find out the brake pads are non-existent, the brake-lines are broken, the “pump” has been filled with water, the bearings and “rotors” are extremely corroded, the crank collapsed in tow, and wind up $1700 deep in replacements. The mechanic tells me that there is no way this trailer was in any shape to haul my boat 8 months ago, and that I’m lucky the trailer didn’t collapse while I was doing 60 MPH, potentially injuring someone.

I feel like I was taken advantage because I had such limited knowledge of boats. Does anyone have any suggestions for recourse I can take against the dealer who sold me this boat? I find it unacceptable that I was sold a piece of equipment that could put my life at risk as well as others on the road, and that he told me the oil pressure gauge wouldn’t affect the running of the boat when in fact it did. What should I do?

jburnside
06-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Wow! I'm sorry to hear that all came down on you especially since you're new to boating. Is the trailer a Boatmate (std. for Moomba)? If so give them a call they have a good reputation for helping their customers. Were you provided the original owners manual for the boat/trailer/motor/transmission...? There is a lot of maintenance items listed in the manuals that could help you find any other potential issues that are hiding.

Have you given your dealer a call that sold you the boat to discuss any of this with them? If you run in to roadblocks trying to deal with them you could try Skiers Choice but since the boat is used you may only be able to deal with the better business bureau. I'm sure there are some rules in place for selling used boats in FL.

How did you store the boat since last November? Just wondering. Good luck getting the issues sorted out, I hope it hasn't turned you off of boating and Moomba boats because they really make a great product at resonable prices.

Buttafewcoe
06-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I sympathize with you.
Unfortuately as beginners, we do not know everything that must be checked prior to diving into something we have no experience with. A good idea would have been to take along someone you trust that has experience. A good anaolgy is buying a used car that, on the surface appears ok, then it blows up in a week. Sometimes you just don't know.
I don't know what the purchase price was, sounds like you got a fixer upper. But one thing, you'll know what you got in it when you're done.
B

JoeTechie
06-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Bob also sells boats on consignment - so he does not always know the entire history of the boat. He takes them as trade-ins as well again, he does not run a used-boat dealership for the most part - it is a convienence to his new customers. It could have been used in salt water and corroded the trailer. The blown tire cannot be blamed on anyone really - 7 years is a long time for tires if they are original.

I hope you get things sorted out. Sucks to have these experiences all at once.

-Joe

Sled491
06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Sounds like you need to talk (not yell at) with your dealer. It sounds like this was a good dealership maybe they know the history of the boat or could better explain some of the things you thought to be true. Like others before have said, boats need maintanence and to the inexperienced can be intimidating.

Don't give up on boating or Moomba there both great

BensonWdby
06-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I also have a 99 Mobius with Carb and have been pretty fortunate. I have about 240 hours on it. Problems have not been huge. I have gone through a couple of bilge pumps and the bilge blower is pretty sad. I also had to replace a gauge controller recently.

Otherwise been pretty good. Can't seem to get the shaft packingn to seal very well, no matter what I do. maybe shaft is out of align....

I have had good luck with Boatmate also.

I wonder how many hours are on your boat and how many miles on trailer. If your trailer sat out in the sun for extended period of time could be UV damage.

Good luck. I know I would be pretty tweaked if it were me....

Dave

smokedog2
06-12-2007, 11:08 PM
$1,700 to repair a trailer?

JoeTechie
06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I think the $1700 is all together - tire, hose, engine, etc.

Wolf-
06-13-2007, 05:03 PM
$1,700 to repair a trailer?
Yeah, $1700 is a good start on a new trailer. :shock:
I'm hoping JoeTechy is right.

JoeTechie
06-14-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm just confused as to why you would ever need to replace a bilge pump TWICE!

Since purchasing it I have had to replace the carburetor, bilge pump twice, solenoid, oil pressure gauge, the oil pressure sensor, a tire, among a few other minor things

:?

-J

BensonWdby
06-14-2007, 05:21 PM
In my case the original float switch went south, so I bought a new Mayfair bilge pump. It came with an extra wire. I tried wiring it myself and resulted in float switch still not working. So I had dealer rewire it at winterization. They said they did and that it worked - they charged me for it. But next spring float switch still did not work Went all season with running bilge manually (on lift most of time). At next winterization I asked them to verify their wiring job. When I picked it up they had replaced the 1 year old pump with a different make/mfg without contacting me and charged me for that as well. No discussion with what was wrong with the wiring they had corrected previously.

That's how I got 2 pumps in one year.