PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sap on Vinyl Seats

Bleebik
06-11-2007, 03:52 PM
My new 07 Mobius LSV was parked under some trees and got tree sap on the vinyl seats. I know there has been a bunch of posts on cleaning the vinyl, but none I've found give any attention to getting sap off the vinyl seats. I've tried the normal things talked about for general cleaning with absolutely no results. I called a car detail center in town and they recommended denatured alcohol, but from reading other posts here is sounds like one must be very careful with harsh chemicals especially on the threads of the seats. Does anyone know of a water-reducible product that works on sap or am I just stuck with the stains if I don't want to shorten the life of my seats?

Bleebik

iaonbb
06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I've had great luck with Babe's products and Meguire's is also good but not my fav. Babe's rocks for everyday cleaning and grime build-up. Not sure if either will work on the sap though. The best kept secret is the Mr. Clean magic eraser! You'll be amazed...removes almost everyting (except the melted wetsuit stain on my rear seat) :cry:

04OUTBACK
06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Bleebik,
AT YOUR OWN RISK, Try bug and tar remover SPARINGLY.. I had some parking lot tar from a flip flop on my seat and that was what I used to get it off. I cleaned afterwards with normal cleaner and then put protectant on... It is petroleum based.. not sure if I will see long term effects..

Bleebik
06-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I appreciate the comments back guys. Really sorry to hear about your wetsuit incident Iaonbb - that's a bummer. My problem wouldn't be so bad if it was just tiny droplets from the tree, but the wind picked up and blew all these seeds that are a bit bigger than say a sunflower seed and they were just full of sap - consequently the stains are quite large and numerous. It makes me sick - and of course it is on a white interior, so it is very, very noticeable.

I'm no chemist, but 04Outback may be on to something here. It would be better to use a petroleum based product rather than a alcohol based product if a waterbase doesn't work, right? I'm thinking the alcohol base would dry it out more. And then condition the heck out of it on a regular basis. I'm thinking that I won't go over any of the threads - just spot clean where it is on the vinyl and live with a stain if it is on the threads - I don't know - like I say, it just makes me sick :(

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
I'll have to second Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a bucket of HOT water. While I have not had to use it on Moomba. The seats on our pontoon were full of sap, mildew, and tree pollen. They looked brand new! Good Luck.

Bleebik
06-12-2007, 11:44 AM
I just did some research on the Mr. Clean Eraser. MSDS sheet on it rates it a 1 for health and 1 for flammability. It does have some formeldahyde that gets released and says could cause skin abrasions on hands, but really doesn't show any harsh chemicals and of course is water reducible. It gets rave reviews from DIY websites, etc..

Thanks a million for the tip - I will try that before anything else and let you know if it takes the sap off.

Bleebik

Wolf-
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I just did some research on the Mr. Clean Eraser. MSDS sheet on it rates it a 1 for health and 1 for flammability. It does have some formeldahyde that gets released and says could cause skin abrasions on hands, but really doesn't show any harsh chemicals and of course is water reducible. It gets rave reviews from DIY websites, etc..

Thanks a million for the tip - I will try that before anything else and let you know if it takes the sap off.

Bleebik

I carry one in a plastic bag in the glove box.
Useful for quick cleanups. I do NOT make a habit of using it regularly. It WILL dry your hands out from extended use.

1. wiping away the little marks from cover snaps on the gelcoat.
2. pen on seat cushions
3. dried blood on cushions
4. the nasty black crap from the pathetically treated swim platform antislip material from your cushions if it has dried. (303 treatments hold the crap at bay for about 2 weeks, but its an expensive fix)
5. dried surface rust on cushions
6. board marks on the motor box

Make sure you rinse the cushions well to remove the chemicals left behind by the erasers and retreat with 303.

iaonbb
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Good luck bud...I too keep a majic eraser in the glove box and swear by it...let us know what works!!!

Bleebik
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
-UPDATE-
Sorry it took me awhile to get back to all of you, but I had my boat in for the 20 hr checkup (which by the way cost me less than 100.00!) and I just got it back the other day. Anyway, I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser that alot of you were touting and had great results with it - Not excellent results as there is still a very faint light yellow stain that remained, but I am very pleased with the results, especially for not having to use a chemical solvent. Will carry a sponge or two in boat from now on - it really is amazing. Thanks a million for the tip!

Bleebik (Bob)