PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder

mdrsdr
07-17-2003, 10:50 AM
I bought one. However, I have drill a hugh hole somewhere to install the meter. Has anyone done this??? The best placement that I can see is above the throttle.

Any thoughts?

barefooter
07-17-2003, 01:30 PM
I just had a Uniden depth finder installed in my dash below the RPM guage, just to the right of the steering wheel. It fits well.

I looked into mounting it around the throttle, but thought it might be awkward to look at.....

I was pleasanty surprised how accurately it reads. The transducer is epoxied to the hull just to the right of the engine block.

Good luck with install.

Bobby
07-17-2003, 03:29 PM
I have 03 Mobius LSV and want to install a depth gauge. Did you epoxy the transducer directly to the fiberglass bottom inside the boat? Any help on where to mount the transducer in my boat would be very helpful. Thank you.

Bobby

Brian Raymond
07-17-2003, 10:50 PM
If the boat in question is an inboard, the transducer should be mounted about 2" behind the stbd. transmission mount, and between it and the coupler(roughly 2" stbd. of keel centerline). Make sure to sand the mounting area with 80 grit sandpaper, then, apply the 2part epoxy, making sure there are no air voids between the bilge and transducer. This can be achieved by twisting the transducer back and forth gently, until it hits the bilge. If the boat is a V-drive model, the same technique is applied, however, the placement is just fwd. of the speedo p/up, and about 2" port of keel ctr. line. Brian Raymond

mdrsdr
07-18-2003, 07:32 AM
I failed to mention, I have 2001 mobius. There does not appear to be a place on the dash to drill a hole. Again, I was thinking about drilling the hole for the meter above the arm rest which id above the throttle.

Any idea on what would be the best drill bit to use?

Also, I am going to place the transducer near the bilge.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ProXman
11-04-2003, 03:07 PM
I also have a 01 mobius i am looking into getting the piece of trim the 2003 have on the armrest above the throttle. I will let you know how i make out.

ProXman
11-04-2003, 03:08 PM
I also have a 01 mobius i am looking into getting the piece of trim the 2003 have on the armrest above the throttle. I will let you know how i make out.

zabooda
11-05-2003, 04:16 PM
When I bought my Mobius the depth finder was next to the throttle. Very poor location as you can't drive and watch the depths at the same time. I moved the most useless 2" gauge, the voltmeter to that location and placed the depth gauge in the dash. Works much better.

Now I know why they don't put speedometers in cars on the drivers door...like duh.

Catdog1
11-05-2003, 06:10 PM
I got frustrated trying to figure out where to mount a dial gauge on the 99 outback.

So, I installed a humminbird 400tx on the passenger dash.

Gives digital depth and bottom profile.

Would not have a simple gauge after using this.

Keeps me in good graces of the bass and catfish crowd that dominate my ramp, also.

Here's an old set pictures of an antenna installation. The depth finder is visible through the windshield. This is a great set-up: http://members.cavtel.net/hct

SMUMATTMAN
11-05-2003, 07:49 PM
What we need her fellas is fighter jet technology....like a heads up display. Of course that might just freak out all the Bass and Catfish folks on his launch.

I'm sure the boys over at Northrop Grumman would share some of their F22 Technology with the good folks at Skiers Choice. Can't hurt to ask.

Catdog1
11-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Come to think of it, we had been thinking of adding a set of lure launchers at the stern.

lowdrag
11-07-2003, 08:19 PM
I did about the same thing as Catdog on my 03 Mobius LS. Pulled the Hummingbird out of my old boat and put it in this one. I used a little easier method for install. Instead of epoxy I just used some silicone sealant caulking on the transducer and I mounted mine just under the front of the motor. Works fine. Used adhesive velcro strips to mount the display on the armrest just in front of the throttle. I didn't want anything that I wasn't able to change later and didn't want to drill any holes in my new boat.

For anyone wanting a depth gauge seriously consider a fish finder instead, if you can put up with the fishing boat looks of the display that is. Check the prices for one thing. You can get some pretty good ones any more for cheaper than a depth gauge. Plus it's nice to be able to actually see what's going on on the lake bottom. You get a lot better feel for what's actually going on instead of just a number that lets you know when it's too late. I can say it saved me some serious damage this year. I ran across a point in the lake that wasn't very apparent from looking at the shore line and wasn't marked. I saw the bottom coming up in a hurry and just had time to put it in nuetral and kill the motor before impact. Luckily I was just idling along. I ended up with just a prop that needed some refinishing instead of what could have been a lot worse.

Catdog1
11-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Especially useful on lowland, flood control lakes, like Kerr Reservoir in southern Virginia where we hang out. Shoreline isn't a valid predictor of bottom profile. Also, lots of timber movement in spring and a level that can shift off the mean by +/- 8 feet.

I see underwater hills; also hear a beep to caution me when depth change is rapid. Can also scan a cove for submerged timber before putting a skier in the water.

Am intrigued by the F22, though. A flat black paint job and about 6 dozen outboard-seeking missles... and I could take over my ramp.

ProXman
11-13-2003, 12:39 PM
As in my previous post I was after that trim piece located on the 2003's next to the throttle. Well it cost $85!!! That is way too much for a piece of plastic. So I looked at Jegs and their o found several different varieties of pods. I think I will end up mounting it in a pod on the windshield, either with glue to the glass or mechanical fasteners to the aluminum frame.