PDA

View Full Version : helmets

FSULax
06-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm brand new to wakeboarding... Tommorow will be my 6th time going out. Do you all wear a helmet? I figure it will help with the headaches? Like a newbie I face plant and back of the head plant alot. I just got a protec wake helmet, but I wanted to see how many ppl wear them.

outback 4
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
no helmet. only time i've had a fall that a helmet might help with is when i'm doing blind 180's and i catch an edge.

JesseC
06-09-2007, 05:01 PM
We all ride with helmets in my crew. They help a little with the bad falls, but they help to protect your ears the most. There have been a lot of people blow their ear drums on hard falls. Since my lake is technically a river, we also wear them in case of unseen debris in the water. I figure it can't hurt to wear them!

JoeTechie
06-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Good reading:

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=2778

-J

FSULax
06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I got one before going out the weekend. I liked it and will continue to use it.

gt9118
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Helmet is a must.

FSULax
06-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Had a kid, 15 yo on the boat this yesterday... Didn't think the helmet was cool, or whatever. Fell on a simple run, nothing fancy, the board hit him in the head. Not a big cut, but enough to color some hair red. We learned a lesson!

cab13367
06-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I caught an edge last summer trying to do an ollie 360 out in the flats. Crashed hard on my right side, ended up with a pinhole perforation of my right ear drum. Ear rang for days, got infected, nasty, bloody fluid oozed out constantly for a couple weeks, had no high pitch hearing. Luckily, everything healed up in about a month and I got all my hearing back, which I'm told doesn't always happen.

I am shopping around for a helmet with ear protection.

My brother, on his first pull behing his new boat two summers ago, on waterskis, took a fall and just as his head came up out of the water, the ski tagged him square on the nose and broke it (his nose, not the ski). So now, whenever I crash and am separated from my board, I always have my hands on top of my head, with my forearms against my face as I surface, just in case that board is bee-lining towards me.

Hope that helps.

Al