PDA

View Full Version : Nearly dead in the water

Mikey
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I am proud to say I am the the new owner of an 07Outback and so far hve had nothing but good experiences untill now. We we out breakin in the boat with 8/1/2hrson it when the fun began.After a short run we stopped and began going again when suddenly there was no go.It seamed as if possibly the throttle cable had dissengaged at the linkage or something. The boat did move barely in forward and not bad in reverse but there was nothing more. full throttle resulted in nothing. Checking and feeling for anything loose or out of the norm was nothing. Opened the engine hatch and carefully poked around,still nothing. After getting ready to be towed,tryed trottle one more time and all was well.Has anyone else had this problem.Talked to the dealer and becase it fixed itself he is stumped and because engine light never came on no codes are there to check. Its as if engine went into limp home mode but not. Anyone else have similar problems?

cptmoomba
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
This happened to me quite often before I replaced the factory ez cruise system with Perfect pass.

When i would engage ez cruise, skier would fall and I slow the throttle, then on take off again, about 1 in 10 pulls would result in nothing more than an idle response.

If you use the ez cruise, I hope this helps.

JoeTechie
06-06-2007, 03:01 AM
The '07 is throttle by wire - you should be able to see the servo working as you work the throttle. Take it out of gear (push the pivot point of the throttle lever and pull out - see owners manual) and move it up and back to see if it is working. The servo may be sluggish, or the cable could be kinked, etc. The connections at the throttle lever could be loose, dirty, etc.

Perfect Pass AND EZ Cruise both use these devices and then add their own - PP actually has a servo reset function that resets the cable position in case it has all gone whaky.

Could also be clogged/kinked fuel line - though you would probably have noticed more roughness even at idle. Seems that on a lot of new boats junk gets in the system and has to work its way out.

Hope this helps,

Joe

cptmoomba
06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
In 2007 all Moombas were installed with PP wiring harnesses from the factory. It was a 30 minute install even for someone who's experience with auto/boats stops at upgrading stereos. Again I am not all that mechanically inclined when it comes to engines, but the only thing I had to install under the clamshell was a shorting plug that shorted out EZ Cruise and allowed PP to take over control of the throttle.

Basically, if Mikey has been experimenting with EZ Cruise, my only point is that with PP you can see in digits the speed and/or rpms that you are set for. With EZ Cruise it is possible to accidentally set your rpms to idle speed and forget about it as you take off the next time.

bergermaister
06-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Actually had this happen to me once last summer. Had been running fine all morning, then after a quick stop started shuddering and no throtle at all - like we were in limp home mode. Jumped in to inspect underneath and make sure the prop wasn't making love with someone's anchor line - all clear. Then went into the engine compartment. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Idled back to the beach and loaded up to go home. Started heading out and tried it one last time - everything was back to normal. VERY WEIRD AND BOTHERSOME, but it has never happened again and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

I suspect it was crud in fuel line causing a kink or blockage because it would idle fine but nothing more. Not sure if these boat engines use any kind of in-line fuel filter but I'm tempted to install one after that...

I had an '89 Chevy pickup that did the exact same thing. Idled fine but no throttle or acted like a slug in limp home mode. New fuel filter and it was back in action.

cptmoomba
06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
My 07 does have an inline fuel filter. Check with your dealer, mine just called me about a technical bulletin they received on changing the fuel filter with every oil change.

kcsideways
06-06-2007, 05:26 PM
If the EZ Cruise system is engaged when the ignition is turned off, the operator will have no throttle control, because the Cruise system will engage at idle RPM. Hope this helps out.

kcsideways
06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
If the EZ Cruise system is engaged when the ignition is turned off, the operator will have no throttle control, because the Cruise system will engage at idle RPM. Hope this helps out.