PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Outback Test Drive

daneav8
06-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Hello all Outback owners. I test drove a 2000 Outback today from a dealer. I thought the boat really handled funny. At about mid speed (25 MPH) the boat would all of a sudden yaw like stepping on the rudder pedal in an airplane. The boat would sort of list to the left and the stern felt like it was being pushed left. I thought this to be very unusual; however I have never driven a Moomba. After trailering the boat we inspected the running gear and nothing seemed abnormal; no bent or mis-aligned drive shaft or rudder, and the skegs (fins) where tight and true.

I expected nice straight tracking and precise steering like a go-cart.

What are your experiences with Outback handling characteristics?

I will be test driving another 2000 Outback Monday, which cosmetically looks to be a better cared for boat compared to the other one.

SiglooLSV
06-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Never heard of anythig like that. Mine pretty much goes exactly where you point it and will turn on a dime. I bet the other one feels different to you on Monday.

-Chris

Sled491
06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
A ski boat, any brand is supposed to run true. There was probably something wrong that the naked eye couldn't see. My Moomba is the bomb wouldn't trade it for anything!

BensonWdby
06-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I have a 99 Mobius which I think is basically the same boat. I have not experienced this. But you can't let go of the wheel and expect it to run straight. The boats are very sensitive to weight distribution (IMHO), so If you have half filled bags in there, or a lot of bilge water, or people moving around you could see a shift. But in most casea I would not expect the same shift all the time.

bobwells
06-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Ditto on my '98 mobius/outback. first time I drove it (my first inboard) seemed kinda weird steering to me, had a couple folks in it and when one of'em moved around some weight shift made boat seem to shift/track a little weird for a sec. when weight is properly distributed it drives like a car. I think just getting use to rudder steering vs. prop thrust just takes alittle time, I have never regretted one second buying this boat, I love it! we got it at Christmas '06 and I turned 100 + hrs. this wk.end... nothing but oil changes and fuel, dont think I'll ever go back to a "clamp-on ski" boat. :wink:
I'm sure you will love it when you get it, bob

daneav8
06-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Hello. I took another ride in the above mentioned boat. It was a little better after the dealer tweaked the steering cable, but still not great. The boat had a hard life. Well, he just happened to take in on trade another 2000 Outback (Black) that drove and looked great. I bought it.
Thanks all for your help.

Buttafewcoe
06-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Can we see a pic?
:p
B

daneav8
06-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Sure, I won't pick up the boat until next week (week of June 18th 2007). Then I'll give her a bath and wax and snap some pics of her.
:D