PDA

View Full Version : 20 Hr Service

Pike
06-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Just wondering how much everyone paid for their 20 hr service. I just had mine done and it was quite pricy....

Buttafewcoe
06-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I think it was $220.00 for my DD
B

outback 4
06-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm do for my 20 hour service and was quoted $290 from the local dealer and $330 from the dealer i actually got the boat from. Pretty ridiculous for an oil change.

JoeTechie
06-02-2007, 12:15 PM
The first 10-20 hour is the most important service. It is a full fluids change out (oil, v-drive, trans) and an inspection for obvious problems - steering linkage, stuffing box, exhaust, bilge, etc. Later services are usually less demanding ( sometimes cheaper, sometimes not depending on dealer) those are up to you IMHO.

I've heard as low as $150 and as high as $350... but 180-250 seem to be the norm.

-J

csumerall
06-02-2007, 12:16 PM
My dealer charges 440 for the 20hr service 600 for winterization and 400 for summerizing boats. needless to say i do all my own maintence after my experience with the 20 hr

Wake Master
06-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I paid $160 for the 20 hr service.

Pike
06-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Geez, I got a sick feeling in my stomach after seeing what you guys paid....I paid $400 for my 20 hr!! Oh well hopefully it wont be as much next year

Dave A
06-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I think I paid $100.00. My dealer hated the fact that you pick up your 35k boat and then you get stuck for an expensive service after it is barely broken in.

Pike
06-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I think I paid $100.00. My dealer hated the fact that you pick up your 35k boat and then you get stuck for an expensive service after it is barely broken in.

Geez I wish I paid 35k, closer to 50k and I still paid $400!!

Dave A
06-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Yes, but your swim platform looks much better than mine. :D

Madtown Mobius
06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I have an '06 LSV that's due for it's 20 hour service. I talked to an Indmar service tech and was told at the 20 hour service they only change the engine oil. I checked the owners manual and it says the same thing. I'm curious how many owners had all their fluids changed at 20 hours and what reason for changing the V-drive and tranny fluid?

Dave A
06-06-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't think they change anything but the engine oil. I think the service is really to check everything out and make sure the motor a transmision will continue to perform the way they are meant to perform. The dealer can probably give you a list of what it is that they check.

Heck, what's another $400 for a little piece of mind. So far, aside from gas, the 20hr, 50hr, & 100hr service are the only thing I have spent money on. The boat has operated perfectly.

B*O*A*T

Break Out Another Thousand

Hole in the water you throw money into

Happiest times are when you buy and sell

Bla, Bla, Bla

Everyone's nervous when they make a big, luxury purchase. I have had my boat 2-1/2 years and the only time I even remotely felt bad was in the winter when it was sitting in the garage. I feel good everytime I get in it, whether I am cleaning it, driving it, or just sitting in the back seat drinking a beer during the winter when I can't take it out.

How much is a little happieness worth?

Pike
06-07-2007, 03:33 AM
I have an '06 LSV that's due for it's 20 hour service. I talked to an Indmar service tech and was told at the 20 hour service they only change the engine oil. I checked the owners manual and it says the same thing. I'm curious how many owners had all their fluids changed at 20 hours and what reason for changing the V-drive and tranny fluid?

They didn't list all of what was done at my 20 hr, but they did say they changed the oil and changed the fuel filter. Also a few other minor things

Chefwong
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
105.99 for mine

FSULax
06-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Paid $198 for the 20hr. Included a new battery cable.

outback 4
06-09-2007, 11:29 AM
just got the service completed and it was $160. a lot better price then i was quoted from the local dealer, which was $300. too bad i had to go to a malibu/centurion shop to get it done. $140 in gas money goes a long way. :D

Bleebik
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I just had my 20 hr service done on my 07 LSV. They changed the oil in the engine and vdrive, checked all other fluids, checked hose clamps, ballast system,steering linkage,shaft, prop, etc., along with warranty items that I had a list of: depth finder needed to be glued down as it had become unglued, rewire battery switch as it did not turn off power to accessories when in the 0 (off) position, as well as around 8 minor things. I was very pleased when I got the bill for 97.00 which included tax!
Moritz Sport and Marine rocks!

Bob

Pike
06-15-2007, 03:00 PM
OK, OK People!! Enough with the stories of how you got a great deal!! It makes me sick to think that I got bent over paying $400 for my service!!! :evil:

Bleebik
06-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Pike,

Sorry for the insensitivity - won't happen again.

Pike
06-18-2007, 02:49 AM
Pike,

Sorry for the insensitivity - won't happen again.

LOL I guess I should have put something in my message about my "sarcasm".... No need at all to apologize, I was totally kidding around. I just see it as a learning experiance. :D

Madtown Mobius
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Well I got my 20 hr service done. Oil, filter change and checked all fluids and such. Total damage was $240. The boat ran flawless before taking it in, two minutes away from the dock after the service the engine quits. It did start again right away and ran fine the little bit we took her out for that evening. The next time we took the boat out we had problems. More than a few times while cruising on plane the boat would suddenly slow down, we would throttle down and nack up again and it would take right off. Also noticed that when the engine would be running over 3k the needle on the tach would keep dropping down around 1k then back up to it's normal reading, but the engine would be running steady the whole time. Anybody have any ideas out there? It's an 06' LSV with the 325. Also the tech noted some non-active codes stored in the computer which they cleared. One code did return after running the engine, ecm health co-processor failure, any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, but the boat ran like a charm until she was serviced :(

cab13367
06-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Okay, my turn for the 20 hr service. Went on a 4 day boat trip this weekend and my 2006 LSV now has 23 hours on the clock. Dealer wants $250 for the service so I am looking into doing it myself. In looking at the owner's manual for the boat, it recommends changing the engine oil and filter and checking the trans fluid and v-drive fluid. However, the Indmar manual that came with the boat shows that the trans fluid and the v-drive fluid should be changed during the 20 hr service. So which is correct?

If anyone has changed the v-drive fluid and the tranny fluid, is it any more difficult than changing the engine oil?

Engine Nut, I would greatly appreciate if could you please comment.

Thanks,

Al

cab13367
06-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Also, the Indmar manual refers to 3 different transmissions and three differnet V-drive units. How do I know which model my boat is equipped with?

Thanks,

Al

JoeTechie
06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Let the dealer do the 20 hour.

All the rest are basic oil/fluid/impeller changes, the 20 hour is really best for the dealer to do a full checkout.

I think all the v-drives take the same fluid, and all the tranys take the same fluid - but again - let the dealer do the 20 hour.

just my $0.02,

Joe

Buttafewcoe
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Joe is right. Hopefully, if needed, you've made a list of things that the dealer can address at the same time you take it in for your 20 hr. checkup.
Even if you are concerned about any detail, bring it to the dealer's attention and I believe your dealer will do his best to make sure you are a satisfied customer or at least give you input.
Hope this helps,
B

cab13367
06-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Butta & Joe,

The different tranny's and v-drives do not take the same fluid and/or the capacities are different.

Everything on my boat is working fine. What little issues I've had I've fixed myself. I did all the maintenance on my previous boat which I owned for 15 years with no problems. I don't mind paying the dealer for something if I can't do it myself. I am quite capable of changing engine oil and have changed the tranny oil, transfer case oil, and differential oil on my tow vehicle, and replaced the motor mounts too, so I think I can manage the v-drive oil change and the trans fluid change unless there's something I don't know about. I read up on how to check alignment of the output shaft so I will do that as well. If it's out of spec, then I'll bring it in to the dealer. That's really the only thing that concerns me.

I did call the dealer today and they tell me that they would change the tranny and v-drive fluid at the 20 hour and all it entails is sucking the fluid out of the fill hole. I can handle that. They did not mention that they would change the impeller at the 20 hr.

I enjoy tinkering with the boat and I don't mind doing the maintenance myself especially if it saves me $200+. I can put that towards getting larger fat sacs and wakesurf racks (or a full tank of gas and dinner). :)

Al

Buttafewcoe
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Did not mean to insult your intelligence, nor imply or infer you couldn't do the tasks at hand. I let the dealer do my 20 hr for a couple reasons, one main reason was to establish a relationship with the service dept. I want top notch service (doesn't everyone?) and my equipment returned to me reasonably quickly. I don't go there often, but they know me and take an interest whenever I come in.
Ever since then, I do it myself. If I need advice, they say do not hesitate to call.
BTW, your tranny make and model should be on a plate attached or stamped into the casting of the tranny. Mine is.
Hope this helps
B

cab13367
06-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Butta,

No offense taken. Just wanted you to know where I was coming from.

I will look for any identifying marks on the tranny and v-drive. Thanks for the tip.

Al

Buttafewcoe
06-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Cool, I was concerned about it. Just trying to share the luv 8)
B