PDA

View Full Version : Cleats

Waynes345
05-31-2007, 07:05 PM
I just picked up a nice '99 Outback that does not have any cleats. Does anyone have a recommendation for a retractable cleat that would keep the surface neat and smooth but allow me to tie up reasonably securely? Thanks.

csumerall
06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Talk to your local dealer. The OEM pop up cleats are the only way to go if you want to keep everything looking neat. you can buy some from westmarine that are pop up but for the price of 4 its actually cheaper to get them installed at a dealer(it was for me anyways)

carsondoc
06-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Attwood pop-ups are great.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Attwood_Stainless_Steel_Neat_Cle at_4_1/2L_x_1_5/16W&r=view&i=34759&aID=

Waynes345
06-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I looked at those on Overtons and ordered the OEM cleats from the nearest dealer. Sounded like the same thing and the price was the same. They told me they came with a template and instructions. Other than the fear of drilling through my boat, anything to worry about? I've only got a few hours on my first Moomba, but am loving it.

Buttafewcoe
06-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Whichever you decide to get, make sure you occasionally check the retainer nuts, esp if rafting up alot. Those nuts can work loose and can do havoc on the gelcoat.
B

carsondoc
06-02-2007, 03:47 PM
There are plenty of posts about the proper way to drill through the gelcoat that you can reference on this site. I used a hole saw for installation of the cleats. It makes a very neat hole.

My only advice would be that you measure back along your rub rail, starting at the front tip of the boat, to make sure you get your front cleats mounted symmetrically. The back ones are pretty easy to get symmetric. Also, I think it takes a 1 1/4" deep socket to tighten the nuts on the underside of the cleats. Not something most people have lying around in their garages.

Just remember: Measure twice and cut/drill once.
Good luck. It's not too hard.

cab13367
06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Also remember to drill in reverse until you get through the gelcoat to prevent chipping it.

Waynes345
06-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm new to this site and am still poking around.