PDA

View Full Version : Long Memorial Day - citation and fender bender

Wolf-
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Had to share this with ya'll.

Day started with the 06 310' idling fine, but dying every time put it into reverse to back off the trailer. I could put it into forward, no problem. There was an undercurrent that was holding the exhaust flaps closed, causing too much back pressure in reverse as I was trying to back off and stalling the engine. Mental note made.

I got my first marine citation this weekend. Careless Operator.
One of our guys got up off the back seat and walked to the front while we were underway. I asked him to sit down, he did and we got pulled over. Officer hunted for anything. Life vests, fire ext, was disappointed when no hint of brew was found on board.

$223... Debating the drive back down to sit in a courtroom. But then, w/ fuel at $3 a gallon, thats almost 78 gallons of fuel.

We are boarding in a cove, and a jetski runs past a downed rider only just missing him (3-4 feet). "Da tree yoots' were oblivious.

Helped 3 drunks load their (wait for it) homemade pontoon boat onto their (wait for it) homemade pontoon trailer so it was no longer sitting broadside across three ramps. Apparently the engine doesn't run without fuel! This thing was a beast, maybe 28-30 feet long.

We finally get close to home, and are going to stop for dinner.
In stop and go traffic, a lady hits the back of the boat.
Honestly, much more damage to her SUV than the boat.

Ski platform took most of the hit. I have vertical chips where the grill hit.
Moved the boat about an inch on the trailer. If I had actually managed to get the bow eye up on the front roller when we loaded it, we would have had more damage.

Drive train wasn't touched. and no external damage that I can see.
Will see if any damage to the bunks (and possibly bottom burn) from it sliding on dry bunks.

Other than pulling the bottom of the ski locker and checking the swim platform mounts for cracking, anything else I need to think about?

04OUTBACK
05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Sorry WOLF..... DANGIT MAN!
Makes my bent prop seem small!
I hope Mississippi does not write tickets when someone gets up an walks while underway!
It was amazing the number of boaters out this weekend... Lots of 3 times a year boaters (Memorial, 4th and Labor Day). I would find the best fiberglass shop around and have them check the boat from stem to stern.. I would hate for something to rear it's head later... I am hoping your careless driver had insurance!

BW

iaonbb
05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Dude, ouch...WTF kind of ticket is that? Never even heard of a law about that? BS IMHO...same here, went out for "Amateur day at the lake" LAST TIME I'll ever do that. Hope the boat is OK! Got me thinking, I'll leave a few extra inches on the bow when I load her up just in case I get tapped next time I'm towing like you did.

Wolf-
05-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Dude, ouch...WTF kind of ticket is that? Never even heard of a law about that? BS IMHO...same here, went out for "Amateur day at the lake" LAST TIME I'll ever do that. Hope the boat is OK! Got me thinking, I'll leave a few extra inches on the bow when I load her up just in case I get tapped next time I'm towing like you did.

He wrote me up under AL Code 33-5-70(b)
Seems to be a "catch all" provision.

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/33-5-70.htm

Date to appear is 7/25. We had already planned on being down there the weekend of the 28th, so, I might actually go down early and seek clarification on how exactly I violated the law, you know, so I don't do it again! We shall see.

pickle311
05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
that sux, hope your boat is OK. I would bring it somewhere and have it checked out like previously stated. The ticket sounds like BS to me, what's wrong with moving to the front of the boat while it's uderway? Good luck with it.

pickle311
05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
that sux, hope your boat is OK. I would bring it somewhere and have it checked out like previously stated. The ticket sounds like BS to me, what's wrong with moving to the front of the boat while it's uderway? Good luck with it.

gotmyboat
05-30-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't see how a passenger getting up while you were underway should constitute 'Careless Operator'. Maybe 'Careless Passenger' depending on your speed. I would love to hear this office explain himself to the judge. Sounds like he was just out harassing folks during amateur hour on the lake. He didn't realize that you were a seasoned veteran at boating, and boating safety. You showed great restraint by not telling him to pound sand. Is there a law against insulting a Marine Police Office?

In Nevada and No. California, they pretty much leave us alone. They never patrol my favorite lake. The lakes that they do, they are truly looking out for safety. Drunk and reckless are the only ones that I have heard them write.

We have Coast Guard on Lake Tahoe. They are a pretty serious bunch, but also very nice. They do random checks for safety equipment for boater education. If they pull you over and you don't have all the necessary gear, they will write you a fix-it ticket. If you are just short a PFD or two, they will give you a couple of orange ones. If you have all of your safety equipment and ALL passengers are wearing PFDs, they give you a gift certificate for a free pizza.

I'm glad that you didn't let the bogus ticket ruin your day. Definitely fight it if you can.

Good luck,
Dave

Pike
05-31-2007, 02:12 AM
Very sorry to hear about your weekend....I didn't realize that these big holidays were amateur boater weekends... I went out for a day trip and it seemed like every downed rider had a target on their head. So many Jet Skis either not paying attention or just plain ignorant to the meaning of an orange flag.

I was tempted to drive home and get a paintball gun with orange paint to make my point to all the morons. Luckily no one was hurt.

Buttafewcoe
05-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Couple things.............wildlife officers (wats wez callz deem round deez parts) are like state troopers. You don't harass them or call them down. You are cordial and assist them any way you can: deem boyz cans ruins yer dayz...............rookies or amatures are the only ones I know of that'll ski on a lake, river, or whatever, with a lot of traffic. Heck, I chose to go to the race (Charlotte Coca-Cola 600) over the weekend just because whoever coined the phrase 'amature hour' didn't' know how close to home that is.
Sure we went Monday, and there was still a few whoops and hollars, but not like earlier in the weekend
btw, I've been off work all this week, water has been glass, I tell ya what.
B

Rugburn
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
The county sheriff dept. patrols our chain of lakes here in Madison. Seems the only time they do a safety check is if there is a nice bikini in the boat.

I dont like it when folks move around the boat when we are under way but sometimes the bow gets misty or too bumpy and they move to the back.

I bet that officer realized once he pulled you over he wished he hadnt but was committed. Good luck with that court day bro, hopefully the judge is old school Cypress Gardens.

JoeTechie
06-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I had never heard of this infraction...

I've searched the Coast Guard and safe boating docs for FL and GA and none come up as that being a law.

Am I missing something, or did the cop make that up just to come check you out thinking you'de be another clueless boater and pay.

-Joe

Buttafewcoe
06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I thought moving around in a boat while underway was just not good safety practice, like Joe, never thought it was a law
crikey :!:
B

Wolf-
06-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Reckless & Dangerous Operation:

Boat and PWC operators must exercise the degree of care necessary to prevent endangering life, limb, or property. Care shall be taken to operate any vessel so as not to bring harm to you, your passengers, and other boaters.

Some activities considered negligent or reckless operation in Georgia:

* Operating a vessel (or towing a person) at greater than idle speed within 100 feet of a dock, pier, or bridge; any vessel that is moored, anchored or adrift; or any public park, beach or persons swimming in the water.
* Following too closely behind another vessel, jumping the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of that vessel, or changing course or direction in order to jump the wake of another vessel.
* Riding or allowing passengers to ride on the bow or gunwales if not properly equipped with a protective railing device designed to keep occupants aboard.
* Running around or within 100 feet of another boat at greater than idle speed unless passing the other vessel in compliance with navigation rules regarding encountering vessels.
* Buzzing or spraying another vessel or causing damage from the wake of your vessel.
* Overloading the boat with passengers or cargo beyond its safe loading capacity.

------------

One of the guys standing sat on the gunwales but only after we were stopping and I told them to sit down as the officer approached.

Yeah, seems kind of fishy.

I had never heard of this infraction...

I've searched the Coast Guard and safe boating docs for FL and GA and none come up as that being a law.

Am I missing something, or did the cop make that up just to come check you out thinking you'de be another clueless boater and pay.

-Joe

JoeTechie
06-08-2007, 11:39 PM
From the Georgia Statutes:

§ 52-7-12.1. Reckless operation of vessel or other water device

Any person who operates any vessel or manipulates any water skis, aquaplane, surfboard, tube, or similar device in reckless disregard for the safety of persons or property commits the offense of reckless operation of a vessel or other water device.

Pretty generic - so up to the officer to interpret. Still easy to get out of if you want to take the drive.

-Joe

Buttafewcoe
06-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Too bad the class on common sense was discontinued.
B