PDA

View Full Version : Engine / List of spares to carry

Catdog1
07-14-2003, 11:46 PM
I have the 99 310hp engine and have begun using the boat on camping trips on larger and very rural lakes usually at times when there is little boat traffic, no dealers within 100 miles, and no shore development to paddle towards in event of breakdown.

Can you all help me develop a major wish list of spares to carry, particularly engine and engine electrical? I keep a substantial tool box on board.

List So far: fuel filter, prop/nut/key, impeller; cap + rotor + a couple sparkplugs; a 6" curl of gland nut packing; lengths of heater / radiator hose and various plastic threaded elbow fittings ( had one snap at the header ). ( of course, trailer bearings, puller, spare tire, spare trailer light kit )

What else? From the Supra site there was mention of replacing ignition modules (with special installation lube); replacing 3 prong plugs that interlock electric fuel pump operation with oil pressure ; also, mention that electric fuel pumps are sensitive to varnish build up and can fail.....

should I preemptively stock this stuff.... and what else? Are there any other special little switches or interlocks or sensors that can ruin my week if I don't hold spares of them in my private stock? What other unobtrusive little parts are hanging on the outside of these motors that keeps them ticking? Let's get us a good comprehensive list!

waterboy
07-15-2003, 02:49 AM
Maybe one of those little battery boosters for an emergency jump start, and of course.......duct tape!

Brian

Brian Raymond
07-15-2003, 11:11 PM
A spare alternator belt will close your list. It seems the homework is done, and it is test time. Hopefully you will not need any of these. Make sure you have all the required tools to install,and or repair the above mentioned. Duct tape and wire ties are sometimes your best friend, bring them. Be sure to have an assortment of electrical connectors and various hose clamps. A small ziplock bag of assorted stainless fasteners may also be added to the checklist with electrical and teflon tape. Brian Raymond

Catdog1
07-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks Brian. A complete package.

Can you say a bit more about the electrical interlock for the fuel pump?

Also, the ignition module.....?

Is the ignition module a shared part with autoparts or is it also marine?

Brian Raymond
07-17-2003, 10:29 PM
The only "locking devices on the fuel pump"(lo press.). is the clip that stabilizes the hot and ground on the bottom of the pump, for carb. motors. The Hi-press. fuel pump(only on injected models+lo press. pump), has a self interlocking clip on its power posts, located at the front of the pump. The ignition module used is marine only, and should be purchased by a dealer or Indmar. Whenever this module is replaced, be sure to apply silicone grease to the base of it b4 installing, these rarely go bad. When a cranks, no fire, or spark issue occurs, it will be the coil, the ign. mod., or a wiring connection. It is always best to have, than have not, especially on vacation. Hope this helps, keep me posted. Brian Raymond

Catdog1
07-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Brian

I very much appreciate your reply.

Yes, I will definitely purchase the electrical parts from the dealer.

My opinion is that we have a very solid and professional dealer in Richmond named "Nautical Marine". They handle the Supra line as well .

Eventually the Outback will find a home with one of our older kids and a cushy Supra will end-up in our driveway, but gotta pay a few bills first.

Thanks for helping us all with the technical responses on the website.