PDA

View Full Version : Screw Loose

tazz3069
05-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Everytime I go out on the water, I come back with a bolt missing from my tower. This is the third bolt in the last Month. Has anyone had the same problem with their boat?

Pike
05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Everytime I go out on the water, I come back with a bolt missing from my tower. This is the third bolt in the last Month. Has anyone had the same problem with their boat?

I haven't lost one yet but on my third trip out I noticed one of the bolts above the driver seat on the tower was about to fall out.....I tightened all the bolts and so far so good

I think just a regular check before you go out should do the trick....keep an alan handy

qb12
05-24-2007, 07:39 PM
if you don't have to lower your tower use thread lock.

i did last year and have yet to have one come lose.

llxlv
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
I always tighten tower mounting thru hull bolts at the beginning and middle of the season, same with racks, speakers, mirror and all tower pivot or joint fastners.

iaonbb
05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Yep, same here...almost lost one last month. The thinner towers suck imho...too much flex. I check mine every other trip or so. No solution other than loc-tite or dilligence.

tazz3069
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to buy a few to keep in the boat, just in case. Lock tight is also a great idea. I was just wondering why when they assemble the boat, they don't use lock tight. Still love the boat. I am in the process of installing my new speaker and light system.
Mark

qb12
05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
tazz, i think when the boats are shipped they are done so without the tower. it is the dealer who does the install??? :?

i thought you guys were referring to the bolts that go in the tower uprights, not where it attaches to the top of the deck.

tazz3069
05-25-2007, 08:33 AM
QB,
It is the big Allen Screw that connects the pole base to the upright. I noticed it gone when I started my stereo install. Skiers Choice told me that it woulb be cheaper to find the Allen Bolt at a hardware store for a few dollars. If I can not find it, I need to pay for the shipping, which is 3 times the amount of the bolt.
Mark

zabooda
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
In Vegas, you should be able to find a bolt and fastener store that can match the bolt and I beleive they are Stainless Steel. I almost memorized my hardware parts selection and you would be hard pressed to find a allen head bolt that size in SS.

zabooda
05-25-2007, 12:29 PM
There you go Tazz. I think Ed owes you a buck but then it takes away from the "Send Ed Down Under" fund.

gotmyboat
05-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I guess when it comes to having a screw loose, Ed's your guy!! :lol: :lol:

Dave

csumerall
05-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Tacoma screw has them Im not sure where all their locations are but you can usually find a screw/bolt store in any industrial area I think I paid $2 for 12 of them

Wolf-
05-26-2007, 09:39 AM
LOL! hey! I possibly may resemble that remark.

Well, I guess I do.

That's what I do for a living - design mechanical assemblies (for outdoor circuit breakers) and specify the hardware to put it all together.

I thought you drank beer and wakesurfed and mechanical design was a hobby that paid well.