PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump

Dannad
05-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone has run into problems with their ballast pump (There is only 1 pump, right?)
I filled up all 3 ballasts on the weekend then when I went to empty them only 2 emptied. When I flip the switch on the third with the other 2 off there is no reaction. No pump noise, nothing.
Is this most likely a wiring problem? Would the wiring problem be right behind the switches or where is the next place I look for wire connections?
Thanks for any input.
Dan

JoeTechie
05-22-2007, 08:42 PM
I think there is one for each bag.

-J

JesseC
05-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Which bag did not empty. There is one pump per bag. So you have a total of three evac pumps. I have burned up two of the stock 700gph pumps and I replaced them with the 500gph pumps and the problem seems to have stopped.

Dannad
05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I have only put 3 hours on the boat. Is it possible that the pump is burned out already?
I went out to the lake tonight to see if I could fix the problme. No dice.
There was an inaccuracy in my first post though. The lights on the switch do work when the switch is switched to fill or empty. I disconnected the selnoid and when I switch the switch to fill the selnoid activates (i don't know what this means but I do know that the selnoid works).
Is there a haynes manual for these things?

JesseC
05-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I am not sure if the 07 are plumbed like the older models, but in my LSV, the "filling" solenoids have nothing to do with the ballast emptying process. Here is how the setup works.

Fill:
When you press any of the switches to the Fill position, the fill pump is activated, there is only one of these pumps. If you follow the hose from the fill pump to the "solenoid tree" you will see three seperate hoses coming off of the "tree". Depending on which switch(s) you flipped the "solenoid tree" will open the appropriate solenoid to allow water to go to the appropriate bag. The solenoid tree is only used during the fill process.

Empty:
When you press any of the switches to the empty position, an evac pump is activated that is locate on or near each bag. There are three of these pumps, one per bag. I had one burn up realy quickly when a weed became lodged in the evac pump itself and I was not paying attention to the thru-hull port not passing any water. The only way to check these pumps is to locat them, have somone sit near them and turn them on, you should hear a high pitched whirr if they are working properly. Try listening for one you know is working and then trouble shoot the one that is dead.

Here is a schematic of the setup on my 02 LSV.
Ignore the one way valves, I added those to help with venting the trapped air and overfilling issues.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/BallastLayout.jpg

guinsha54
06-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I recently bought a used 2005 mobius lsv and ran into the same problem. I just wanted to know if you found an easy solution. I am almost 100% sure that my front ballast evac pump has burned out and needs to be replaced. I would like to buy a new one and change it out myself but I’m not really sure how to go about doing so being that the pump is completely wired in. Any advise?

JesseC
06-04-2007, 12:18 AM
I recently bought a used 2005 mobius lsv and ran into the same problem. I just wanted to know if you found an easy solution. I am almost 100% sure that my front ballast evac pump has burned out and needs to be replaced. I would like to buy a new one and change it out myself but I’m not really sure how to go about doing so being that the pump is completely wired in. Any advise?

Have you tested your front bag evac pump. You can hold it in your hand and have someone flip the switch, if it runs you have another issue. If it lies lifeless in your hands it is probably dead. As a final test check, see if there is twelve volts at the pump itself. Swith the boat option to empty for that bag in question, you will need a volt meter with sharp leads to puncture the wire to test for voltage. If there is not voltage, you may have a bad switch or blown fuse, just use electrical tape to tape the hole that the leads made and troubleshoot the switch and fuses. If there is twelve volts then the pump is dead and you can cut the wires to the pump where the hole from the leads were left.

I bought my 02 used and the right evac pump was burned out. All you have to do to replace these pumps is to cut the wires close to the body of the old pump and wire in the new one. The new one will come with about 2 feet of wire and you only use about a foot max. I would soulder the wires together and use heat shrink to seal the wire to avoid issues with water. I also use electrical tape over and around the heat shrink to minimize the possibility of water issues.

smokedog2
06-04-2007, 07:37 AM
In an 07 an engine hose flipped the switch on the pump. The switch looks a bit like a ring or ring pin right by the pump.

switched back, tied back the hose and away we went.