PDA

View Full Version : Heights on the water

Ironman10
04-09-2024, 07:24 AM
Coming to the gurus for some help!
Is there any reference for height on the water?

The background is we are looking at a trip to a lake house on Hartwell this summer. From the location of one of the houses we're interested in, we would have to clear an 8' bridge to get out to the main area of the lake. I don't want to have to drop the tower on my '21 Makai every time we go out.

Height with tower up is 128.5" on the trailer, 28" draft. Only thing missing is height from ground to lowest point of the boat on the trailer. If there isn't a reference, I'll make a trek to the marina to get it. If I nominally need 96" to clear the bridge, I imagine there is more than 4.5" from the ground to the boat, but wanted to verify.

Obviously I can get more clearance by loading with ballast, but there is also the factor of varying lake level.

TIA

trayson
04-09-2024, 10:54 AM
There should be a spec for freeboard (to the top of the gunwales). Add Tower height to that.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

mjb929rr
04-09-2024, 02:06 PM
Coming to the gurus for some help!
Is there any reference for height on the water?

The background is we are looking at a trip to a lake house on Hartwell this summer. From the location of one of the houses we're interested in, we would have to clear an 8' bridge to get out to the main area of the lake. I don't want to have to drop the tower on my '21 Makai every time we go out.

Height with tower up is 128.5" on the trailer, 28" draft. Only thing missing is height from ground to lowest point of the boat on the trailer. If there isn't a reference, I'll make a trek to the marina to get it. If I nominally need 96" to clear the bridge, I imagine there is more than 4.5" from the ground to the boat, but wanted to verify.

Obviously I can get more clearance by loading with ballast, but there is also the factor of varying lake level.

TIA

How far does your swim platform stick out of the water when ballast is empty. I’d use that as a reference and measure up. Mine is 3-4” out when empty.

RUGER761
04-09-2024, 02:20 PM
How far does your swim platform stick out of the water when ballast is empty. I’d use that as a reference and measure up. Mine is 3-4” out when empty.

Yep that's a great idea. Also plan on filling your ballast and sinking it down a bit for extra clearance. Had to do that a few times on our backup lake to clear the bridge.

Ironman10
04-10-2024, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the input all!