PDA

View Full Version : 2021 SL owners?

Dukabor
10-18-2023, 11:48 AM
Hey there all…. As the season wraps up here and I dash my dreams of a 2024 SL to replace the Makai (sticker shock), I may have an opportunity to jump into a low hour 2021 SL450….

I know a bunch about the 2021SL physically, but is there anything about the tech/surf systems, anything that jumps out as an ‘avoid’ for this boat ?

Holdmybeer
10-18-2023, 01:25 PM
I can speak as a searcher but not an owner.

I was shopping 2021 Supras earlier and it seems like tech from 2021 to 2023 is the same. Only problems were heater pump leaks, ethernet cables for the screens to controllers, limited thruster controller faults. I was seriously looking and if interest rates wouldn't have jumped I would have a 2021 I'm my garage.

Good luck in your search. I know Georgia dealers had quite a few used if you want to make the trip from BC.

HFarr
10-18-2023, 02:19 PM
Atlanta Marine. They have more than just these 2https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231018/60fa897020d94681df0cc9010e896cac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
10-18-2023, 03:12 PM
2021 is the Gen 1 SL but it's still got everything good about a Supra. It was introduced in 2018 and the first Supra with true sun floor ballast and awesome storage.

Surf and wake tech is latest greatest too, if the price is right, don't hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukabor
10-18-2023, 03:25 PM
Thanks gents….

This one hits my buttons for colors as well, but I am scouring the net for others to comp… the fact it is a 21 with under 70 hours is a big plus, I dont even think the Bimini has even been unfolded!

Now, to list up the Makai to see if I can make the difference be what I ‘want’ it to be lol

MJHSupra
10-18-2023, 11:43 PM
Hey there all…. As the season wraps up here and I dash my dreams of a 2024 SL to replace the Makai (sticker shock), I may have an opportunity to jump into a low hour 2021 SL450….

I know a bunch about the 2021SL physically, but is there anything about the tech/surf systems, anything that jumps out as an ‘avoid’ for this boat ?

I know several people with 21 SLs. Nothing major from them.

I’m not sure if this was the first year of the captains chair. I recall some mounting issues if so, support for the chair.

Lots of big changes from my 2018 - chill seats, screens, flip seats, trans package. After the 21s the prices started really heading north.

larry_arizona
10-19-2023, 09:38 AM
21 was the first year for new captains chair, there was a mounting hardware recall for it. Easy fix.

Also first year for new heated steering wheel and controls, although early builds didn't have it yet.

Gatorstep was also new and the windshield changed.

First year for thruster option, I recall pricing a 20 Vs a 21 and it was $5k more, but mid year the Covid supply chain issues hit hard and I think post Feb builds saw an added price increase.

Dukabor
10-19-2023, 09:42 AM
I know several people with 21 SLs. Nothing major from them.

I’m not sure if this was the first year of the captains chair. I recall some mounting issues if so, support for the chair.

Lots of big changes from my 2018 - chill seats, screens, flip seats, trans package. After the 21s the prices started really heading north.

Thanks, the 21 does have the new captains chair, I will inspect and try out all functions for any issues…. Does anyone know if the 21’s have the new ratio trans (1.76?)?

larry_arizona
10-19-2023, 10:53 AM
Thanks, the 21 does have the new captains chair, I will inspect and try out all functions for any issues…. Does anyone know if the 21’s have the new ratio trans (1.76?)?

There was no loss of seat functions, the bolts could come loose and wobble, new hardware kits prevents that.

The 21's have the 1.76 trans, Supra added that in 2020.

The tag on my trans says 1.7, because somewhere is 21-22 they changed from 1.76 to 1.7

MJHSupra
10-19-2023, 09:07 PM
^^ This ^^

Being able to spin a bigger prop with the new trans makes a difference. Most of my friends with the SA or SL have the 400 motor around Knoxville.

Dukabor
10-20-2023, 03:21 PM
^^ This ^^

Being able to spin a bigger prop with the new trans makes a difference. Most of my friends with the SA or SL have the 400 motor around Knoxville.

Thanks, the one I am looking at is the 450, and will be confirming the trans ratio shortly…. My elevation is pretty low, so the 400 pushed the Makai around at full weight and with the 3409 prop very well…. I’ll also be confirming the prop on the SL too

Would be a nice upgrade for sure, but I do really like the Makai…. I guess I have to see if I can get the price I’d like out of it….

HFarr
10-20-2023, 07:49 PM
Thanks, the one I am looking at is the 450, and will be confirming the trans ratio shortly…. My elevation is pretty low, so the 400 pushed the Makai around at full weight and with the 3409 prop very well…. I’ll also be confirming the prop on the SL too

Would be a nice upgrade for sure, but I do really like the Makai…. I guess I have to see if I can get the price I’d like out of it….Yes. What you are doing is what I would probably go to if I were to change boats. Of course now you will have to figure out which person to leave behind since you will only be able to carry 17! LOL!

Dukabor
10-21-2023, 02:30 PM
Yes. What you are doing is what I would probably go to if I were to change boats. Of course now you will have to figure out which person to leave behind since you will only be able to carry 17! LOL!

Ha…. I never filled out the Makai (with people anyways)…. So that should work out ok….

All things equal though, I was concerned about the step down in size, the Makai bow is huuuuuuge compared to the SL, and storage was something I really needed to look into, but given the sub floor ballast in the rear lockers instead of those being filled to the brim with the WM bags that was alleviated…. At least for now !

MJHSupra
10-23-2023, 08:51 PM
All things equal though, I was concerned about the step down in size, the Makai bow is huuuuuuge compared to the SL, and storage was something I really needed to look into, but given the sub floor ballast in the rear lockers instead of those being filled to the brim with the WM bags that was alleviated…. At least for now !

Lots of storage on the SL.

If we get 3 families w/kids on the boat - and each one brings a Yeti cooler bag, snacks, and other bags, you just need to get what is used the most organized.

HFarr
02-27-2024, 04:39 PM
So did you get an SL??

Dukabor
02-29-2024, 07:34 AM
No…. Not yet anyways….

Went down a few paths, am about to list the Makai on OI, the 2021 remains available, and I have built/priced out a 2024 SL and despite some sticker shock that remains an option….

I remain very happy with the Makai, which will soften the blow if the market does not bring what I would want for it in order to make the jump to the SL…

First world problems I know!

MJHSupra
02-29-2024, 10:18 AM
There must be some pretty big price variances between the 21 vs the 24 SL.

Heck, there are big discounts on the 23 vs 24 SLs because of dealer looking to get rid of inventory.

Dukabor
02-29-2024, 11:00 AM
Oh for sure, a massive price gap between the 21 (even with low hours) and the new 24…. Of course lots of new features on the 24 and the exact optioned up model I would want….

I did find a 23 SL575 that was very close to what I would build in SLC that was listed for $214k and has recently sold (I am sure for less than that)

I guess if/when the Makai sells I will be at a decision point, do I jump into the 21SL which is (hopefully) still sitting there, or order up a new 24 and live with the gap without a boat…

larry_arizona
02-29-2024, 11:21 AM
or order up a new 24 and live with the gap without a boat…

This is a bit of new territory in that build slots for custom orders have been sold out by now the last 4/5 years. Perhaps 2024 is different, but worth confirming with your local dealer.

Dukabor
02-29-2024, 11:42 AM
This is a bit of new territory in that build slots for custom orders have been sold out by now the last 4/5 years. Perhaps 2024 is different, but worth confirming with your local dealer.

For sure, I am aligned with my dealer on using one of their build slots… but you are correct in that there is a clock ticking on that as well….

mgswake
02-29-2024, 01:24 PM
Looking at prices and dealer inventory it would appear the market is slowing down. I'm glad you still have a build slot open, and hopefully it is still available if/when you sell the Makai.

I ordered my boat in October of 2021 and did not get a build slot until July of 2022 because the dealer didn't have the spot they sold me available anymore even though I signed a check the day of the demo. Anyway, it worked out that I was able to get into a 2023 instead of a 2022, but I had to go all summer without a boat as I didn't take delivery until early August.

Ordering and picking all the options was a very fun/stressful/exciting/nerveracking experience. But the boat turned out great. Good luck on whatever you decide. Keep us updated if you do upgrade.