PDA

View Full Version : Oil Dump

TobesDubai
05-21-2007, 06:22 AM
F:A:O: Engine Nut or anybody else

I had my boat serviced by my local Marina last week and then ran her for about 4hrs over the next couple of days.

We had Daniel Tolson from Liquid Malisha in Dubai last week and I had the pleasure of taking him out behind my boat, which was an amazing experience watching a pro boarder doing crazy stuff behind your very own boat.

Towards the end of the day we suddenly lost all power and came to a stand still, we opened the engine compartment to find smoke coming out the dip stick tube and she had 4 to 5 inches of oil under the transmission area. So that was curtains on the day.

I’ve been assured by the service guys that they have put the right oil and tightened the oil filter correctly, I then found out they used Diesel oil 15w 40w which I am told is not a problem, is this true..???

Please could any tell me were else oil can escape other than the oil filter.?? Do these engines have sump plugs?? Is it possible for them to corrode??

Do the Indmar engines have an automatic cut off, for when oil levels get dangerously low??

I have tried to turn her over quickly and she did sound if she tried to start which I’m praying is a good sign..Sorry for all the questions but I guess this is the beauty of this forum..

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I’m not fortunate enough to have a Moomba Dealer out here or any one that has ever worked on a Indmar engine.. :cry: :cry:

98outback
05-21-2007, 07:46 AM
I have a 98 outback with the 5.7 carb and it does have a safety shut off. If the oil pressure drops below a certain level it will kill the engine. Hope this helps

Nafplio
05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Sounds bad. I'd thoroughly inspect the engine to find where the oil is coming from. For starters, locate the oil change hose and make sure the cap is on tight. Walk the hose to the bottom of the oil pan and check the fitting there. If everything is OK, you might have bigger problems.
Considering your last statement, I think you'll be better off learning to do the service yourself. Good luck.

Engine Nut
05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
F:A:O: Engine Nut or anybody else

I had my boat serviced by my local Marina last week and then ran her for about 4hrs over the next couple of days.

We had Daniel Tolson from Liquid Malisha in Dubai last week and I had the pleasure of taking him out behind my boat, which was an amazing experience watching a pro boarder doing crazy stuff behind your very own boat.

Towards the end of the day we suddenly lost all power and came to a stand still, we opened the engine compartment to find smoke coming out the dip stick tube and she had 4 to 5 inches of oil under the transmission area. So that was curtains on the day.

I’ve been assured by the service guys that they have put the right oil and tightened the oil filter correctly, I then found out they used Diesel oil 15w 40w which I am told is not a problem, is this true..???

Please could any tell me were else oil can escape other than the oil filter.?? Do these engines have sump plugs?? Is it possible for them to corrode??

Do the Indmar engines have an automatic cut off, for when oil levels get dangerously low??

I have tried to turn her over quickly and she did sound if she tried to start which I’m praying is a good sign..Sorry for all the questions but I guess this is the beauty of this forum..

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I’m not fortunate enough to have a Moomba Dealer out here or any one that has ever worked on a Indmar engine.. :cry: :cry:

The 15W40 oil is correct even id it says for diesel use.

The engine does not have a shut off for low oil pressure.

Check the oildrain hose and the oil filter relocator and associated hoses.If you can't find an obvious leak point, fill the engine with oil, start it up if you can and look for the leak.

smokedog2
05-21-2007, 10:53 PM
wear safety glasses 8)

TobesDubai
05-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Thank you very much guys, i will keep you posted.

TobesDubai
05-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Could you tell me the location of the oil drain hose..? Is it easy to locate.??

Engine Nut
05-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Could you tell me the location of the oil drain hose..? Is it easy to locate.??

One end of the oil drain hoas attaches to a special fitting at the bottom of the oil pan. The other end has a clip on it and it generally attaches to the engine lift ring at the front of the engine. The hose has a brass cap that you remove to let the oil drain out.

bobwells
05-29-2007, 07:21 AM
If you have already taken it back to shop, is probally too late to check, but I have seen a a cpl. of occasions when oil filter is changed the old gasket sticks to the engine side, people many times just discard filter and dont check ,just screwing new filter in place,thereby not get a good seal and dumping oil out. I know a super-lube did this once and cost a guy an engine, I had mine do it one time(old gasket stuck) after someone else changed oil for me. I always run a thin coat of oil around top of gasket before srewing into place, seems to help. sounds encouraging if engine is turning and wanting to fire up. I'd check/change filter, re-oil fire off and take a look. keep an eye on the oil pressure/temp gauge when running !!! any serious changes in pressure, (dropping) needs a look. oil pres. & temp. are the heart of the motor... hope all fires off and is good!, bob