PDA

View Full Version : Steering chatter

Bmac
09-10-2023, 03:55 PM
I have a decent amount of chatter and vibration on my 2024 Makai on initiation of the throttle. Even if I have the rudder straight. Does anyone have a fox or know if there is anything I can do? My dealer says it’s because my motor has so much power but none of the other boats I have been on have near the noise I have. Even my passengers look at me and wonder what’s going on. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
09-10-2023, 04:51 PM
Are you experiencing prop slip?

Bmac
09-10-2023, 05:14 PM
I don’t think so. I’m not even punching it. I throttle down slowly but the chatter is significant. I checked the linkage off the rudder and it was loud and had the same noise when some one would play with the rudder. I put electrical tape so that it didn’t have metal on metal and it helped a little. Just wondering if there is another spot that could be causing it. It seems like it is in the steering column but not sure.

sandm
09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
being a 2024, as much as it sucks, I would not try to fix. take back to dealer and put it on them.
maybe the shop tech can offer a quick fix to keep the boat on the water until your season is ended.

HFarr
09-10-2023, 07:53 PM
No amount of engine power will cause what you are describing if your rudder is straight when accelerating. Your dealer SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR SAYING THAT. Something is loose, out of line, or bent. Is the rattle actually your steering, or is the prop shaft/v-drive shaft out of alignment. A shim could have slipped. I would have warranty take care of that as well.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk