PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning flame arrestor?

996scott
09-04-2023, 09:24 PM
My flame arrestor is looking pretty dirty on top after 300+ hrs. The raptor owners manual says...

"High-Performance Element-Type Flame Arrestor
Your engine is equipped with a high-performance USCG-approved
element-type flame arrestor; special procedures are required.
Consult your dealer for special servicing instructions for this flame
arrestor or go to https://www.knfilters.com/cleaning."

If you follow that link it takes you to K&N filters and looks like it is an "oiled cotton" material that says you need special cleaner and then oil it. Anyone cleaned theirs? Do I need their cleaner and oil or can anything else be used?

larry_arizona
09-05-2023, 06:38 AM
Cleaned many KN filters over the years, the cleaner is effectively simple green, but I wouldn't substitute the oil.

Key is to not over saturate the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFarr
09-05-2023, 07:52 AM
Yes to that. Here is a link to cleaning it on K&N if you haven't already seen it. But even this seems to be heavy on the oul in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/rzuBnnCHJOY?feature=shared

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HFarr
09-05-2023, 07:55 AM
Here is another one that discusses the oiling a little more in detail. And it sounds like your listening to a food chef! LOL!

https://youtu.be/wHnea2FykEk?feature=shared

Holdmybeer
09-05-2023, 08:22 AM
Definitely caution when oiling. A little goes far.

In land vehicles to much oil causes sensor failure and then you spend all day cleaning them to get the motor to run correctly....don't ask.

MJHSupra
09-05-2023, 08:53 AM
Cleaned many KN filters over the years, the cleaner is effectively simple green, but I wouldn't substitute the oil.

Key is to not over saturate the oil.

I follow this same process with the Simple Green, Hose Off, let it dry, then oil with the K&N stuff (have it in the garage for other vehicles).

Surprised on how much stuff I use Simple Green to clean.

996scott
09-05-2023, 11:27 AM
thanks guys, I've never used K&N so wanted to double check. I have watched a few of the videos and I ordered a kit with cleaner and oil and will do it this weekend.

Tommy2slow
09-05-2023, 01:02 PM
Heed the advice above about not using too much of the oil(available from most auto parts stores FYI), too much will cause you lots of headaches. Do a light initial application and let it sit for a bit. You can then do a second, light application to the areas that need a bit more as they will be easily visible.

sandm
09-05-2023, 01:29 PM
thanks guys, I've never used K&N so wanted to double check.

now go buy kn's for your road rigs. saves having to buy filters or have the lube guy bring you out a filter and the hard sell to buy a new one :)
all of my rigs have had kn's for 15 years or so.

HFarr
09-05-2023, 03:59 PM
now go buy kn's for your road rigs. saves having to buy filters or have the lube guy bring you out a filter and the hard sell to buy a new one :)
all of my rigs have had kn's for 15 years or so.The air filter push! Yep! Every single time!!

larry_arizona
09-05-2023, 09:53 PM
The air filter push! Yep! Every single time!!

I have used an amsoil reusable for 250k miles. They last.

Holdmybeer
09-06-2023, 06:06 PM
I run dry filters now after having troubles. You clean them the same but air dry them and go.

I use my battery leaf blower to help get the water out and the sun does the rest.