PDA

View Full Version : Got a leak 2018 Moomba Mojo

jnr4817
06-13-2023, 12:48 PM
Team,

I have developed a leak. I had a bad shaft seal and it has been replaced and rechecked. It is working as intended and is the glide drip-less. I can confirm this isn't the leak. I assume its a ballast fitting or my hard tank. I've checked all the ballast fitting I have access to without taking the floor up and haven't found the leak yet. Are there and where are the ballast fittings I need to check that are under the floor or hard to get to. that is my next option to look. Is there some other place to look. I've checked all the thru-hull fittings and this isn't an issue either.

Thanks for any advice.

Jason

HFarr
06-13-2023, 01:58 PM
I guess you checked your center plug? Also the ballast pump for the front bag should be right there close by that access hatch too. How fast does your leak show up? If you run the boat without using any of the ballast pumps does it still leak? That may help narrow some things down if it does not leak. Then maybe run one pump, or set of pumps, at the time to see when water shows up. Also, do you have a heater? Check all those hose connections if so.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

eder10986
06-13-2023, 03:44 PM
You could have a leak through the prop shaft too…see how much water comes out after you pull out of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
06-13-2023, 04:46 PM
If the water develops using ballast, it is a bag, floor tank, hose, or pump.
If the water appears magically, prop shaft, thru hull fitting, rudder box, heater circuit.

My dripless is Glide now but my factory leaked after 595hrs.
My rudder box o-ring (yep $0.15 part keeps boat floating) was replaced at 575hrs.

jnr4817
06-13-2023, 06:36 PM
Excellent ideas, I need to do more testing this weekend. Plugs are good. No heater. I only noticed it after I filled ballast full and started surfing. After an hour the bilge pump came on. I'm going to run no ballast and bone dry next weekend to see if she leaks, If not then Ill start with doing the ballast one by one.

Cheers homies for the help. I'll keep you posted.

Holdmybeer
06-13-2023, 07:15 PM
Excellent ideas, I need to do more testing this weekend. Plugs are good. No heater. I only noticed it after I filled ballast full and started surfing. After an hour the bilge pump came on. I'm going to run no ballast and bone dry next weekend to see if she leaks, If not then Ill start with doing the ballast one by one.

Cheers homies for the help. I'll keep you posted.

Considering we have the same bow bag, check the hose connection under the storage locker. The fitting comes thru the wall and directly in the corner of the bag. My comes loose and will leak. Also, the vents on top of the same bag. I open mine under the bow cushions in winter and always forget to close them.

jnr4817
06-14-2023, 10:19 AM
Thank you sir. Another place to check. I did run my hand on the carpet in the storage locker to see if it was wet and didn't feel any water. I also got eyes on it, but didnt do a thorough assessment, but Ill do a closer inspection, when filling each bag separately this weekend.

Zog
06-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Do you notice any loss of volume in any ballast bag after running for a while? We had a slow leak through a fitting in one of our bags that want from minor to severe over about a month. I would also suggest checking the connections to all your pumps. Additionally, you can isolate your ballast tubing using the valves at the thru fitting, but make sure you don't close the one for your engine impeller.

jnr4817
06-20-2023, 09:54 AM
I was OOT this past week. We are going to troubleshoot this weekend. I've got a place in place to check everything I can. I hope it's an easy find.

jnr4817
06-25-2023, 09:45 AM
Ok I found the area for the source of the leak. It’s coming from the bow. It only happens when filling the bow ballast. It appears to happen when the hard tank is full and the bow bag starts to fill. I can see water actively draining from under the ballast hard tank on port side bilge. It flows a lot fills up the bilge up enough to turn pump on. For troubleshooting, I can see The connections of the hard tank and ballast pumps. No leaking front house.

What other connections are up under the tank in the bilge I can’t access. If it nots a fitting then the hard tank has a crack in it. The bow ballast bag itself isn’t leaking either. I checked those. The only other place I can check is the thru hole from the bilge to under the helm where an elbow is to fill the bow bag from the hard tank.

I have a few months of warranty left so I’m going to rank it to the dealer.

Any other thoughts?

Holdmybeer
06-25-2023, 12:14 PM
If you have warranty, let them deal with it. The hard tank is a pain to remove since the fuel tank has to come out first.

Bow leak:

Hard tank itself
Bow bag itself (checked good)
Lines from tank to bag
Thru fitting under port helm locker
G6 pump system - tank/bow pumps are under floor

How long does it take to kick the pump on? Minutes = cracked tank or broken line. Hours = any of the above things

jnr4817
06-25-2023, 04:07 PM
It takes Minutes. I’m hoping it’s a line under the locker. Is g3 not g6. Only 3 pumps.

Holdmybeer
06-25-2023, 04:41 PM
Ok I found the area for the source of the leak. It’s coming from the bow. It only happens when filling the bow ballast. It appears to happen when the hard tank is full and the bow bag starts to fill.

Based on this comment and Minutes to fill....the line from the tank to the bow bag failed. Could be a fitting or a bad clamp. Can you get to this connection on the tank?

jnr4817
06-25-2023, 11:48 PM
I see the connection from the bow bag hose to the tank thru the little port hole in the floor. I can’t get visual of the other side of the hose where is cones up into the locker. I think that’s where my problem is unless it’s the tank itself.

jnr4817
06-29-2023, 09:26 AM
Im so confused. Where at all the hoses going and coming from to the hard tank and now bag. I’ve got one hose that’s running down the middle of the hard tank and I can’t figure out where it connects. I can take the thru-hull intake to pump, pump to tank, and tank to port side bow bag. I assume it’s the bow bag back to tank, but I can’t find where it connects to the tank. 30876

HFarr
06-29-2023, 09:50 AM
I wonder if Skiers Choice could post or send you a schematic diagram of the plumbing? Sure would make life easier. I wouldn't think something like that should be a trade secret.

Holdmybeer
06-29-2023, 11:43 AM
I don't believe you have a bow back to tank hose. The fill hose is the drain and the other hose from the bow bag goes to the thru-hull vent on the starboard side bow.
If you have 2 lines (3 including vent) then both fill and both drain and the 2nd thru hull from tank to bag in under the driver's helm behind your subwoofer.
Also, the "extra ports" on the bow bag can come loose. I have lost gallons this way myself.

jnr4817
06-29-2023, 03:34 PM
I don't believe you have a bow back to tank hose. The fill hose is the drain and the other hose from the bow bag goes to the thru-hull vent on the starboard side bow.
If you have 2 lines (3 including vent) then both fill and both drain and the 2nd thru hull from tank to bag in under the driver's helm behind your subwoofer.
Also, the "extra ports" on the bow bag can come loose. I have lost gallons this way myself.

The bow bag has 2 lines coming and going from it. I took off the bow little circle piece and found where that mystery hose goes, to top of hard tank. It wasnt leaking. Went to lake today with dad to troubleshoot. I fill my center tank and it gets almost full and the starts to build pressure to the bow bag and then it starts leaking. It flowing strong and is coming from the port side and draining under the tank. I wonder how hard it is to tank gas tank and hard tank out if my warranty is gone?

jnr4817
06-29-2023, 04:09 PM
Warranty expired in April of this year. I am so sick. Oh well, now I need to find a way to fix this .

Mxmark4
06-29-2023, 05:35 PM
Pulling fuel tank won't be too hard if it's empty. That will be the most important thing to make sure of. You will need a fuel line release tool to pop the fuel pressure line off. Other than that it's just 4 brackets cut some zip ties and you could lift it up using a ratchet strap and the tower. Once it's out of the way I have no idea from there but I was 3/4 of the way thru removing my tank last week

Holdmybeer
06-29-2023, 05:38 PM
Does the bow bag ever get water?

Sound like the hose on the port side from tank to bow bag is the problem. The fuel tank is under the floor panel and straight forward removal, it just looks painful.

Once the fuel tank is out the hard tank slides toward the back and is removed out of the same hole. As for lines and what to remove, go slow and take pictures to remember what part go where for reassembly.

Really sucks you can see the water, but there zero access to the hose. Have you checked for an access panel under the port locker. Mine is carpet but I have never pulled it up to check for an access cover.

jnr4817
06-29-2023, 05:43 PM
Does your hard tank have a leak too or were you doing some other kind of maintenance? I’ll draw a schematic of how I think the hoses are
Plumbed. The bilge is working well. We are going to finish the season. Im going to get a quote from dealer but will probably fix it myself.

HFarr
06-29-2023, 06:32 PM
Have you thought about getting one of these to look around with? Some have LED lights too. They have gotten super cheap now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230629/57fe9ba55b36e9906a7c4ac6527c5d42.jpg

jnr4817
06-29-2023, 06:59 PM
Have you thought about getting one of these to look around with? Some have LED lights too. They have gotten super cheap now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230629/57fe9ba55b36e9906a7c4ac6527c5d42.jpg

Great idea. Buying now.

jnr4817
06-29-2023, 07:31 PM
Does the bow bag ever get water?

Sound like the hose on the port side from tank to bow bag is the problem. The fuel tank is under the floor panel and straight forward removal, it just looks painful.

Once the fuel tank is out the hard tank slides toward the back and is removed out of the same hole. As for lines and what to remove, go slow and take pictures to remember what part go where for reassembly.

Really sucks you can see the water, but there zero access to the hose. Have you checked for an access panel under the port locker. Mine is carpet but I have never pulled it up to check for an access cover.

Oh yea. The bow bag fills no issue. The leak only starts when the tanks is almost full and the bow bag begins to fill.

Holdmybeer
06-30-2023, 12:26 PM
I just have issue where I leave vents open or I have plugs come loose and leak on my rear bags. The thru hull from the hard tank into the port locker only leaked when I didn't have it seated all the way.

My hard tank is good and the leaks I had in the past was a dripless seal and rudder box o-ring.

jnr4817
07-02-2023, 08:32 PM
I found the leak with my new bore scope camera. It appears to be the hose that runs along the top of the hard tank. It connects the top of the hard tank to the starboard ballast bow bag. Gotta get a new hose ordered. How are y’all connecting hose to hard tank to bow bag.

HFarr
07-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Not sure on the connection there, but glad you found the culprit!

Holdmybeer
07-02-2023, 10:07 PM
Bow bag should be quick connect fittings with red slide locks. The hard tank I thought was hose barb fitting and hose clamps.

Can you get to it without much effort?

jnr4817
07-03-2023, 10:31 AM
Looks like hose barb on tank to qd on bag. Rerouting the hose is going to be a pain in the ass. I might just wrap with flex seal tape and patch for now, until the season is over. What I can’t fathom is how this hose failed or got punctured.

Holdmybeer
07-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Looks like hose barb on tank to qd on bag. Rerouting the hose is going to be a pain in the ass. I might just wrap with flex seal tape and patch for now, until the season is over. What I can’t fathom is how this hose failed or got punctured.

I would bet lunch there is a screw point close to that hose and after years of making contact it finally punctured.

jnr4817
07-03-2023, 10:41 AM
I looked for one with my bore scope. It’s directly under the walkway from midship to bow. There is nothing there. So weird. I’m
Going to pull the hose today from the hard tank side and inspect and wrap with flex seal tape. I’ll take some pics of the failure.

jnr4817
07-04-2023, 02:34 PM
Spoke to soon. It’s not the hose. I wrapped with flex seal. Started to fill. Once center tank got to top I saw the leak. Here is a video of leak. It’s coming from the top mod tank where the circular hole for structure is located. https://imgur.com/a/L5Hpf0E

https://imgur.com/a/L5Hpf0E

As long as my bilge works. We are going to surf. Once the bow bag fills and the bar drank is full and not under pressure the leak stops. Good I hope Moomba will do something for me since I’m out of warranty.

Holdmybeer
07-04-2023, 07:15 PM
Spoke to soon. It’s not the hose. I wrapped with flex seal. Started to fill. Once center tank got to top I saw the leak. Here is a video of leak. It’s coming from the top mod tank where the circular hole for structure is located. https://imgur.com/a/L5Hpf0E

https://imgur.com/a/L5Hpf0E

As long as my bilge works. We are going to surf. Once the bow bag fills and the bar drank is full and not under pressure the leak stops. Good I hope Moomba will do something for me since I’m out of warranty.

So not sure how that happens. Either a weak spot in the mold of the tank or your tank was over 1/2 full during the winter. I highly doubt you left the tank with water in it over the winter but I cannot mansplain that hole location at all.

Can you get epoxy in that area? I would dry the area, wipe with alcohol to clean, and try to epoxy fill the hole/seam.

jnr4817
07-04-2023, 09:11 PM
It was definitely empty thru the winter lol. Me either. Really kisses me off. I hope the dealer is kind. Drew tinker from the blog said go see the dealer. It kills me because my warranty just ran out and leaky hard tanks are rare. Well, I got one.

Not sure I can get in there with epoxy. Maybe. Im not even sure what to use. Im going to see what the dealer says. If it’s astronomical, I’ll try and pull tank this winter.

jnr4817
07-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know how to buy an additional cover for the hole that covers the access to the center drain plug?

jnr4817
04-16-2024, 05:50 PM
Finally getting around to dealing with this. I’ve got to empty my fuel tank before I can pull that and hard tank. What is the best way. I bought hand pump for fuel but the tubing is too short to reach the gas in the tank. Anyone know how long of a hose I need to reach the bottom of the fuel tank or a better way to do this. Of course the fuel tank is full from winterizing.

HFarr
04-17-2024, 10:32 AM
Can you just disconnect the line leaving the fuel pump and attach a hose there to fill your cans? Let the boats fuel pump do the work.

jnr4817
04-17-2024, 03:06 PM
Maybe. Haven’t thought of that.

Holdmybeer
04-17-2024, 04:37 PM
Becareful doing this.

The fuel pump runs to prime the system prior to starting. Since you are pumping and not priming it could throw a code and then to clear it you would need the dealer.

Other option is to just use your hand pump after you disconnect your fill line. The hand pump should turn into a siphon once it gets going.

Mjhknox
04-17-2024, 09:51 PM
When my boat was on the trailer, I used a clear tube and created a siphon. I knew there was appx 15- 20 gallons in the boat, so I had my plastic red 5 gallon jugs ready.

jnr4817
04-18-2024, 10:51 AM
Where did you enter the boat at? I’ve never drained a boat tank. Not sure if I should go thru the gas cap, take off floor and direct to fuel tank, etc.

When my boat was on the trailer, I used a clear tube and created a siphon. I knew there was appx 15- 20 gallons in the boat, so I had my plastic red 5 gallon jugs ready.

jnr4817
04-18-2024, 10:51 AM
Where did you enter the boat at? I’ve never drained a boat tank. Not sure if I should go thru the gas cap, take off floor and direct to fuel tank, etc.

Mxmark4
04-18-2024, 03:19 PM
Drop a clear hose down the filler neck.

Mjhknox
04-20-2024, 08:19 PM
Drop a clear hose down the filler neck.

^^ This ^^

And tilt the boat back on the trailer.

HFarr
04-21-2024, 09:29 AM
^^ This ^^

And tilt the boat back on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..........then tilt your head back and finish the cup! [emoji106]

jnr4817
05-21-2024, 11:20 PM
Done.
$3500 later everything is as good as new.
My dealer said this has been the first moomba he has had to change a ballast tank on. All the other brands, they are changing them monthly.

jnr4817
05-28-2024, 04:13 PM
Just uncovered the boat to clean it up for the summer and found these cracks in the gel coat. Dealer said there is no way they would have caused this. I’ve called Moomba. Not sure where to go from here. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240528/bf11e6635cbf3285bdd3619e13a52f10.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240528/4da0841c914e22fba8a12b155565a0ae.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240528/55e36cddca5715a155c4a5fd026f05f8.jpg

jnr4817
05-28-2024, 04:15 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240528/879d2d89ad1c1cc71fd2e33d49380e04.jpg

jnr4817
05-28-2024, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure if I can even use the boat now. Never had to deal with gel coat cracks.

rdlangston13
05-29-2024, 11:03 AM
That's a lot of cracking for just appearing after not having used the boat for the winter. Never seen that before. I hope you can get it fixed. That would make me sick to my stomach.

jnr4817
05-29-2024, 01:19 PM
That was my wife and I first thought how in the hell did this happen over the course of three or four days from picking up the boat to setting under my carport we haven’t used the boat yet this season and they weren’t there before I dropped it off. Again the dealer says there’s no way they calls that and I believe them but I don’t know how they just appeared. It’s not a very long rough drive to and from I contacted Mama. They called me back within the hour. I’m taking it back to the dealer for pictures and to see if there’s anything structural , hopefully Moomba will cover it. If not just another 2000 before I can even use the boat this summer.

HFarr
05-29-2024, 03:51 PM
Was it being stored at a dealership? Did they winterize and cover it?

jnr4817
06-01-2024, 07:30 AM
Restored at my house under a carport so the temperature is consistent. It doesn’t get moved in and out side. I winterized it myself. That’s a non-issue the dealer admits. There was no cracking before the job as there was a walk-through performed, but he states I didn’t caused this and it could’ve happened on the drive home for the 45 days and sat around settling, or I could look at the boat Due to being on shift. They’re working with me so it’s all good just frustrating. By the way I was back at the dealer and they had my old car tank. There’s a picture of it in the crack in case you’re curious who submitted that to Skiers choice so hopefully they will reimburse in the labor replacing it.

jnr4817
06-01-2024, 07:32 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240601/8f876142d0e3b24e4b4b342b4df30add.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240601/9b7aa50218fad40ccfe8cc19fd2e181e.jpg