PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting rear sensors for larger bags.

BrentC5Z
06-06-2023, 05:22 PM
It’s frustrating to upgrade the bags only to fight with your boat to fill them.
#1 you will need to upgrade / reinforce your engine panels. Perhaps even the rear access panels.
#2 purchase 2 check valves 32003-100 from Wakemakers ($17 ea) and 6 hose clamps size 16.
#3 you’ll need a heat gun. Everything else is done with basic tools.
This process will net you 6” higher sensors and prevent air from entering your bags when you drain them.
Remove both overflow assemblies. From the bags to the through hull fittings. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/77fed25fb3ca2788ec7cc305c041fcb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrentC5Z
06-06-2023, 05:25 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/e8caea1c8f71005bf8ade1d868e60fd4.jpg
Cut the long hose about 14” from the straight fitting that connects to the top of the sensor.
Remove the straight fitting from the short hose that went between the bag and the sensor. Use it on the 14” section pointed at.
You will need to heat the hose to get it over the barb on the fitting.

BrentC5Z
06-06-2023, 05:27 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/2dc136720161569f8d308fab94d5ee2b.jpg
Install the check valve between the end of the short hose and the rest of the long hose that goes to the through hull fitting. You’ll need to cut off the end that was pressed on the fitting.
Make sure it lets air move the direction of the through hull end.

BrentC5Z
06-06-2023, 05:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/6bee5e4fcf3fc5a720836113fece01ad.jpg
The finished assemblies will look like this.

BrentC5Z
06-06-2023, 05:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/eac4cf56840d54b1497891d71b116a78.jpg
When reinstalled, they will look something like this. Connect the bag first, then place everything else off to the side where there’s room for the 90° on top of the sensor to be touching the bottom side of your rear deck.

BrentC5Z
06-06-2023, 05:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/ec78618fd911277b14b42c9d732c8e3d.jpg
Finally, cut whatever extra you have from the long hose at the through hull fitting.
Hose clamp was just draped over the fitting in this photo.

BrentC5Z
06-06-2023, 05:36 PM
Here’s a before photo for comparison. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/9523e477aa9af9757eed418d453dd36e.jpg

Hayden
06-06-2023, 08:32 PM
Great guide Brent. This is the way.

HFarr
06-07-2023, 08:13 AM
Brent, you are correct in your comment about reinforcing the rear, or what I call the stern, panel. The port side popped out on mine after putting in the WM upgrade. I have not addressed it yet. The only good thing is it can't move very far. But it can put pressure against the pumps and hoses that are behind it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
06-07-2023, 09:10 AM
That is also some easy access to change any impellers.

MJHSupra
06-07-2023, 09:11 AM
How big are each of the upgrade bags and total weight?

Are you adding lead to move around too?

BrentC5Z
06-07-2023, 03:44 PM
How big are each of the upgrade bags and total weight?

Are you adding lead to move around too?

From about 900 to 1,345 per side in the rear. Close to 5,000 total now. No lead. We are completely satisfied with the wake.

HFarr
06-07-2023, 06:48 PM
From about 900 to 1,345 per side in the rear. Close to 5,000 total now. No lead. We are completely satisfied with the wake.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI did the same to my 2021 Makai. Honestly my wake is great in my opinion too. Even with a crew of only 5 or so in the boat. Dukabor and Hayden and some others have also added lead to this same setup. Im sure their waves are even bigger, and I had considered adding lead to mine too. Hayden's, wave is probably gigantic with what he has added! And I am in no way against being able to produce a giant wave. But, my son last week was asking me if I could lower the wave some for him when I had 10 peeps in the boat. So I'm satisfied with the simple bag swap to the wakemakers without lead. Just my opinion. For now anyway......

Dukabor
06-08-2023, 04:53 PM
Thanks for this write up, I know on the test run it was like I was back in my low rider days hitting the switches to get the bags to fill…. I have accumulated all the parts for the vent hose upgrade as well, I’ll gather up these parts and do it as a whole!

As a note, we did pop a panel (I have mine reinforced with angle iron) when filling the new bags, but after draining and readjusting them the bloated up huge without popping the panels, I am going to add some angle iron to reinforce the bottom channel just for the heck of it as well though

I will also say, I am so glad to be right of the storage trays to fit these bags, sooo easy to ‘guide’ them when filling !

Thanks again for an awesome write up!

MJHSupra
06-08-2023, 09:27 PM

Sweet. Rode in 2017 SG last summer with those big bags. Nice wave. All water weight.

Hayden
06-26-2023, 08:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230606/77fed25fb3ca2788ec7cc305c041fcb8.jpg

I think this is also your draft sensor, yes? I've attached a picture of mine and where they placed it in the Mojo. I think it's odd that they put it in-line with the vent in one boat and standalone, above the trasmission, in another boat. I guess there wouldn't be any difference as it's just measuring when the water hits a certain level but wondering why they didn't standardize.

https://i.imgur.com/ezVRmUQ.jpg

BrentC5Z
06-28-2023, 08:28 PM
Actually that’s a separate system altogether. My boat has that sensor bar too. Hooked directly to the hull floor with a ball valve.

HFarr
06-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Exactly what Brent just said...the draft sensor is not the same as the ballast fill sensors. That last photo shows it, but here is a zoomed out photo as well. It is attached in front of the engine on the "firewall", between the back seat and engine.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230629/d36a19a5ec879c8b684fbaf40c92c3b4.jpg

Hayden
06-29-2023, 11:55 AM
So then why does the Makai have a Waketouch tube on (I assume) each of the rear ballast compartments? The mojo just has the circuit board part of the water sensor wrapped around the vent hose, but not the tube.

If you have a draft sensor above the transmission like I do, what is the waketouch tube doing in your rear ballast compartments? What is it measuring?

haknslash
07-02-2023, 08:30 PM
The water sensors wrapped around the vent hoses are the sensors that shutoff the pumps. The draft sensor/pole is for autowake to determine your amplitude/amount of draft. Autowake boats will have both sensors. I want to say after 2021 some boats or either some years they changed the sensor style to a longer tube vs the slide on style but can’t be sure when and which boats. I think I’ve seen it both ways. Mine has the style that just slide along the tubing.

Hayden
07-03-2023, 05:50 PM
The water sensors wrapped around the vent hoses are the sensors that shutoff the pumps.

Yep. Agreed.

The draft sensor/pole is for autowake to determine your amplitude/amount of draft. Autowake boats will have both sensors. I want to say after 2021 some boats or either some years they changed the sensor style to a longer tube vs the slide on style but can’t be sure when and which boats. I think I’ve seen it both ways. Mine has the style that just slide along the tubing.

Kinda hard to say....in the first picture Brent has, it looks possible that the sensor is separate from the tube. But if he also has the draft sensor above the transmission, like I've posted in mine, what does the tube do on his rear bags? Maybe the 22's are measuring draft in different places? Multiple draft sensors?

If the older water sensor is smaller/compact, I would find it odd that they made a newer one that was larger and more obtuse to mount. It's just measuring whether water is in the line or not.

Mxmark4
07-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Pulled my sensor tube out today to do this mod since I have such a poor wave. My tube has a straight barbed fitting on the top and a hard 90 made into the bottom. I have a walemakers overflow hose with check valve they sent with my old bags that I never installed that I may fit into the top hose. I am going to see if adding some length to the bottom hose will be enough to raise the whole unit without kinking the new piece of hose.

HFarr
07-10-2023, 05:28 PM
Send some pics of before and after

haknslash
07-11-2023, 12:52 PM
Matt Brown posted some good info on the FB group and he plans to discuss more on the forum. I always appreciate his insight and learned more about the ballast system.

Here is his post:

Sounds like we need to do another "tips of the day" series. There are 2 different ballast sensors. Both are looking for actual water. The front uses a "flow" sensor that is toward the end of the vent line. By the time water reaches that sensor, the water in the bag is full and that is why you see water flowing out. The rear sensor is on a tube. Because the tube is closer to bag, the system shuts off when the bag is full and you don't see water come out. But on the screen you will see a red dot indicating the sensor is actually full. If you are overfilling then you are really only putting more pressure on the bags and especially the bag fittings. If you keep doing that you will likely have problems with your bag fittings as they will become the weak link if you over pressurize the bags. The system actually measures the time and will learn and increase or decrease your timers automatically after 5 fill cycles. You can go to vessel settings and you can see the change in timers. As to venting, there are vent fittings built in that will slowly vent air. There is also an auto fill in smart tech that will go back and fill as air vents out.

Bottom line is there is a lot going on in the system. Use it however you like but just be warned that if you are always overfilling your rear bags you might eventually pop a fitting.

I will try to explain more later on the Moomba forum.

HFarr
07-11-2023, 04:28 PM
My only problem with the vent caps he refers to is that they are extremely slow to vent. I have not added a vent hoses with my wakemaker bags and if I dont open one of those perforated caps and get all the air out while they are filling, my bags end up with a huge air pocket bubble across the whole top of them.

Hayden
07-11-2023, 09:00 PM
Matt Brown posted some good info on the FB group and he plans to discuss more on the forum. I always appreciate his insight and learned more about the ballast system.

Here is his post:

Sounds like we need to do another "tips of the day" series. There are 2 different ballast sensors. Both are looking for actual water. The front uses a "flow" sensor that is toward the end of the vent line. By the time water reaches that sensor, the water in the bag is full and that is why you see water flowing out. The rear sensor is on a tube. Because the tube is closer to bag, the system shuts off when the bag is full and you don't see water come out. But on the screen you will see a red dot indicating the sensor is actually full. If you are overfilling then you are really only putting more pressure on the bags and especially the bag fittings. If you keep doing that you will likely have problems with your bag fittings as they will become the weak link if you over pressurize the bags. The system actually measures the time and will learn and increase or decrease your timers automatically after 5 fill cycles. You can go to vessel settings and you can see the change in timers. As to venting, there are vent fittings built in that will slowly vent air. There is also an auto fill in smart tech that will go back and fill as air vents out.

Bottom line is there is a lot going on in the system. Use it however you like but just be warned that if you are always overfilling your rear bags you might eventually pop a fitting.

I will try to explain more later on the Moomba forum.

Thank you for posting this Hak but I gotta say, I'm really disappointed that SC didn't reply here...to this thread, first.

The Moomba FB group is great resource for people that opt-in to FB, but forum.moomba.com should be the first place all of the public, technical, bulletins/advice/etc from official SC sources lands.

What got me to buy my latest boat and the reason I show any degree of brand loyalty to SC, was all the support I got on here (from all of you) for my previous LSV and the advice I continue to get with my Mojo.

I know I'm just one guy but if they choose to shift their online community management to focus more on FB then I'm out.

haknslash
07-12-2023, 10:23 AM
He used to be active on here and would provide great details and insight. I too wished they would post this stuff here as well be FB.

HFarr
07-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Yep. According to my wife and kids I may be weird, but am not a FB user.

MJHSupra
07-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Thank you for posting this Hak but I gotta say, I'm really disappointed that SC didn't reply here...to this thread, first.

The social media Fbook side has over 20k members now. A lot more "eyes" than here.

But I agree, this forum-type of media is better for searching and thread discussions. Thus why Matt will eventually post something here.

A YouTube video would be cool to explain while in the boat showing the screen and/or sensors.

HFarr
07-12-2023, 04:54 PM
Wonder how many of those FB users are bots? I have been to some security conferences that had Homeland Security, FBI, NSA, and GEMA speakers/presenters. And you would be surprised at how many artificial intelligence bots are out there on social media sites and apps posting just like real people. We may have some scary times ahead.

duch17
09-11-2023, 08:09 PM
Pulled my sensor tube out today to do this mod since I have such a poor wave. My tube has a straight barbed fitting on the top and a hard 90 made into the bottom. I have a walemakers overflow hose with check valve they sent with my old bags that I never installed that I may fit into the top hose. I am going to see if adding some length to the bottom hose will be enough to raise the whole unit without kinking the new piece of hose.

My boat is a 2019 and has the same fittings as yours, did you manage to change it up?