PDA

View Full Version : Which model surfs the best?

NLindellDC
04-26-2023, 03:23 PM
So it's a simple question I guess but may be a controversial (or complex maybe) answer. I know everyone will say "it's personal preference" or whatever, but give it to me straight: Which Moomba model produces the best Regular or Port side wave (I don't care about the Goofy wave)? I would guess the Makai, but is that correct?

MJHSupra
04-27-2023, 09:43 AM
Yes, bigger running surface, but needs more weight.
Next would be the Mojo.

larry_arizona
04-27-2023, 10:57 AM
Agree that technically Makai, but it takes significant aftermarket weight and or a Big crew load to reach full potential.

I would argue any running surface 22-24feet will absolutely crush a massive wake set up properly.

New Craz, max and mojo are much closer out of the box than Makai.

All boats will benefit from added weight and displacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mxmark4
04-27-2023, 12:22 PM
My craz wake is probably almost a foot taller than my mondo wake and it was setup well. Still trying to dial in the craz. The brand new craz should be insane with 4k stock ballast. Crew ballast weight distribution

sandm
04-27-2023, 01:03 PM
anything over 21.5ft would be my suggestion. unless you are on the pro circuit, any of the moombas over that will produce waves that are solid. the "best" wave is very subjective and what I say is best might not be what Larry/MJH would say...

the 20-21ft hulls can produce a good wave but mx calls it right. getting to 22-23ft make a night and day difference in the wave.

I'd take up the debate on the makai tho. our tige 22ve had a much better wave that was easier to set up than a friend with a 24ve and my cousin's 2300.
sometimes a longer hull isn't better. everyone remember the MC X80..

HFarr
04-27-2023, 02:44 PM
So it's a simple question I guess but may be a controversial (or complex maybe) answer. I know everyone will say "it's personal preference" or whatever, but give it to me straight: Which Moomba model produces the best Regular or Port side wave (I don't care about the Goofy wave)? I would guess the Makai, but is that correct?LOL! You have asked a question that will still be asked for all eternity! Thats like asking people which car drives the best! [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
04-27-2023, 03:56 PM
Another way of thinking about it is.......

They all surf excellent. If you were a pro, you likely have a sponsor and getting a discounted or free boat.

So grab the boat you want and surf it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh828
04-27-2023, 04:54 PM
I've always heard longer the boat longer the wave..

MJHSupra
04-28-2023, 02:44 PM
I'd take up the debate on the makai tho. our tige 22ve had a much better wave that was easier to set up than a friend with a 24ve and my cousin's 2300.
sometimes a longer hull isn't better. everyone remember the MC X80..

Engineering on the hulls and how that functions with the surf system. As you know . . . .

cucv
05-02-2023, 12:52 PM
I put this chart together to try and get a basic understanding of each boat wake making potential. Weight per foot of boat length. I took out 1500 lbs for wedge Ballast in the main column but put it back in on the right.30833

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Hayden
05-02-2023, 04:18 PM
I put this chart together to try and get a basic understanding of each boat wake making potential. Weight per foot of boat length. I took out 1500 lbs for wedge Ballast in the main column but put it back in on the right.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Never understood what they added to the Supra's to make them 1000 lbs heavier than equivalent length Moomba's. More fiberglass?

HFarr
05-02-2023, 05:33 PM
Never understood what they added to the Supra's to make them 1000 lbs heavier than equivalent length Moomba's. More fiberglass?Tower is probably a lot of it.

HFarr
05-02-2023, 05:37 PM
I put this chart together to try and get a basic understanding of each boat wake making potential. Weight per foot of boat length. I took out 1500 lbs for wedge Ballast in the main column but put it back in on the right.30833

Sent from my SM-S911U using TapatalkInteresting information, but I'm not exactly sure what to make out of the chart. I'll have to think on it a bit. The weight per foot is not going to be an even distribution, and hull shape along with the varying weight distribution will certainly effect the displacement of the boat in the water. [emoji848]

HFarr
05-02-2023, 05:39 PM
I would love to see a demonstration of all these boats on the same lake under the same water conditions making waves. Wonder if myth busters could make that happen! LOL!

MJHSupra
05-03-2023, 09:38 AM
Yea, you need to ride the different boats. Some are mushy and some are firm. You could have a nice looking wake,but feels weak once you are surfing in it OR it may be so strong it's pushing you into the back of the boat. Are they steep or do they have gradual transitions?

Plus, you need a good driver. Some wakes are easy to tweak for the different riders depending on where people decide they are sitting/moving around. Robert at Wake9 is awesome for this. He will make small adjustments (speed/pitch/roll) for each rider to dial-in the wave.

sandm
05-04-2023, 03:25 PM
I would love to see a demonstration of all these boats on the same lake under the same water conditions making waves. Wonder if myth busters could make that happen! LOL!

robert at wake9 used to do the polar bears out west that was very similar to what you describe above and I remember a similar east coast event that tried to mimick the polar bear. dozen boats and you spend 2 days surfing all for the bargain price of $40.
upside- was able to ride a lot of different boats and rate them at the end.
downside- some boats were factory stock right off the showroom floor and some were "modded". was not a true comparison.

the year I went in 2012, the tige z3 was the best of the crop BUT only due to it being roberts personal whip and 400hrs of dial in time. the sanger wave was amazing from a boat that was severely overloaded with ballast and 1500lbs of lead on a shallow hull(most people commented on great wave but totally unsafe) and the centurion 244 was a huge dud as it was bone stock and needed another 2k in weight which most owners add after the fact.

might be a different outcome today with all the added weight companies have put in and the surf systems.

on a related note, it was unfortunate back in '12 that the moomba mojo that was brought was not able to be demo'ed. it's mmandley's personal boat now as he bought after the event and it tossed a great wave but there was some driver/insurance snafu that prevented it from being used on sat/sun. it would have easily been in the top3 or 4.

Hayden
05-04-2023, 05:38 PM
robert at wake9 used to do the polar bears out west that was very similar to what you describe above and I remember a similar east coast event that tried to mimick the polar bear. dozen boats and you spend 2 days surfing all for the bargain price of $40.
upside- was able to ride a lot of different boats and rate them at the end.
downside- some boats were factory stock right off the showroom floor and some were "modded". was not a true comparison.

The equivalent of this in 2017 was the Summer Surf Fest organized by wolfeman131. I couldn't make it there in 2017 but had my bags packed for the one in 2018. Sadly, Wolf got caught up with real life in 2018 and no one has picked up the torch since as far as I know.

I wouldn't want stock boats but getting to surf on 1 or 2 of each brand with a veteran driver/modded setup would be worth much more than $40 to me! Just need one of them organizy-types to come along and put it together.

HFarr
05-04-2023, 10:36 PM
I would go!