PDA

View Full Version : 4 rev 10'

stretch55
02-23-2023, 05:00 PM
Looking for pics of towers with 4 rev 10' on them. Debating to ad a pair of rev 10 HDs to the stock pair of swap out with 1 pair of rev 12 HD.

Mxmark4
02-23-2023, 09:31 PM
Saleman at our local dealer put 4 rev 12s on his supra last year for the Norris Moomba Supra meetup. I havent seen a Moomba with the 12sbut have seen a couple Malibus.

stretch55
02-24-2023, 12:09 AM
Saleman at our local dealer put 4 rev 12s on his supra last year for the Norris Moomba Supra meetup. I havent seen a Moomba with the 12sbut have seen a couple Malibus.

I either want to do 4 rev10 HD or 2 rev12 HD.

rdlangston13
02-24-2023, 07:15 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/663ae7c438ced9aab36f8f5c47a4972d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/4ecfc7e3e79f87db2c0bc460b2e5032f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/5d9ed977c35008bf5e2b599fc14df54a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2in2out
02-24-2023, 11:11 AM
4 rev 12’s on a Supra tower would cause me permanent brain injury the amount of times I smack my head on the damn things. And I’m short.

Whatever you do, but a set of helmets for yourself and crew.

2022 SA 450

larry_arizona
02-24-2023, 11:25 AM
4 rev 12’s on a Supra tower would cause me permanent brain injury the amount of times I smack my head on the damn things. And I’m short.

Whatever you do, but a set of helmets for yourself and crew.

2022 SA 450

I think the 12's have better head clearance. But 4 12's would give me permanent hearing loss.

stretch55
02-24-2023, 04:52 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/663ae7c438ced9aab36f8f5c47a4972d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/4ecfc7e3e79f87db2c0bc460b2e5032f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230224/5d9ed977c35008bf5e2b599fc14df54a.jpg

Don’t you wack your head on those all the time? How do you like the Wetsounds systems vs Exile? I am coming from a full Exile system to Wetsounds. Looks like you did as well.

Mxmark4
02-24-2023, 05:38 PM
Im 5'10" and cleared the 12s just fine. The 10s on my craz are also out of the way. Adding a second set would be nice but I dont think I need them. I would want something with more bass than rev 10s

stretch55
02-24-2023, 07:54 PM
Im 5'10" and cleared the 12s just fine. The 10s on my craz are also out of the way. Adding a second set would be nice but I dont think I need them. I would want something with more bass than rev 10s

The new Rev 10’ (HD’s) are supposed to have more bass. That’s what’s on the 2023 models. We don’t have our boat yet so I can’t verify. But that’s what Wetsounds says.

rdlangston13
02-25-2023, 07:31 AM
Don’t you wack your head on those all the time? How do you like the Wetsounds systems vs Exile? I am coming from a full Exile system to Wetsounds. Looks like you did as well.

I'm a hair over 5' 11" and its pretty easy to avoid hitting your head. I won't say I have never hit my head but after you do it a couple of times you figure out how to make it not a regular occurrence.

As far as going from exile to wetsounds. I feel like my exile sub hit harder than my WS but I also bought a low end WS sub due to budget constraints. I am sure the XXX hits much harder but what I have is adequate. As far as XM9s vs REV10s there is no comparison. The Rev10s blow them out of the water, which is the main reason I made the change. Got tired of being drown out by WS systems. Overall I am much happier with the WS system and I have never had an overheating issue (my original exile amps would over heat and shut down all the time). The newer class D exile amps due seem to have fixed this problem however.

MLA
02-25-2023, 09:39 AM
Due to the recessed mounting perch on the HD series, the 12HD has only slightly more hang height even though the driver is 2" larger in Dia., when comparing to a rev-10v2 with tube clamp to 12HD with 2 clamp.

No tower can produce bass. Mid-bass? Yes. The 10HD really isnt going to produce more mid-bass, as this is a product of the mid-bass driver size. Both are 10". The new HD pod is slightly larger in volume, v's the original rev, which will help with mid-bass extension. However, I think measurable difference would be inaudible in the wild. What does give the 10HD the appearance of producing more mid-bass, is the all new cross-over and compression driver. When you rain in and tone down the harsher frequencies, the drivers "seems" to produce more mid-bass. So all in all, the HD is a larger step in HLCD performance over the Rev v2 series.

Lets talk woofers, since they were mentioned. There is nothing magic that one brand can do to make their woofer hit, slam, pound, etc, harder then another. There are 4 real factors that effect output. driver size, enclosure, wattage supplied and the drivers excursion. The first 3, we as a consumer/installer can control. So, if two woofers are the same size, in the same enclosure type/size and supplied the same wattage, their output (choose your buzz word: hit slam pound) would be about the same. If you are comparing two woofers any one of the 3 previous factors is not the same between the two, its not the woofer's brands you are comparing, but rather the larger woofer to a smaller woofer, the one in a ported enclosure v's the one in the sealed or IB enclosure or the one thats fed more wattage.

XM9 to rev-10; Keep in mind, despite Brian's efforts to pass the xm9 off as a 9" driver, is was an 8". So comparing an 8" HLCD to a 10" HLCD is no comparison. Again, its not a brand thing. The rev-10 also had a slightly larger compression driver.

Class A/B amps can and will overheat on a boat, in July, when heavily loaded. Brian gave some bad advice by telling buyers to run the 6-pod hybrid setup at 1.5 ohm p/chnl on their 2 chnl amp, even though the amp was only intended for a minimum of a 2 ohm load p/chnl. Moving to the more efficient class-D amps is a move in the right direction to avoid thermal shutdown, but also knowing how to properly setup and tune any amp, is equally important.

HFarr
02-25-2023, 11:05 AM
Due to the recessed mounting perch on the HD series, the 12HD has only slightly more hang height even though the driver is 2" larger in Dia., when comparing to a rev-10v2 with tube clamp to 12HD with 2 clamp.

No tower can produce bass. Mid-bass? Yes. The 10HD really isnt going to produce more mid-bass, as this is a product of the mid-bass driver size. Both are 10". The new HD pod is slightly larger in volume, v's the original rev, which will help with mid-bass extension. However, I think measurable difference would be inaudible in the wild. What does give the 10HD the appearance of producing more mid-bass, is the all new cross-over and compression driver. When you rain in and tone down the harsher frequencies, the drivers "seems" to produce more mid-bass. So all in all, the HD is a larger step in HLCD performance over the Rev v2 series.

Lets talk woofers, since they were mentioned. There is nothing magic that one brand can do to make their woofer hit, slam, pound, etc, harder then another. There are 4 real factors that effect output. driver size, enclosure, wattage supplied and the drivers excursion. The first 3, we as a consumer/installer can control. So, if two woofers are the same size, in the same enclosure type/size and supplied the same wattage, their output (choose your buzz word: hit slam pound) would be about the same. If you are comparing two woofers any one of the 3 previous factors is not the same between the two, its not the woofer's brands you are comparing, but rather the larger woofer to a smaller woofer, the one in a ported enclosure v's the one in the sealed or IB enclosure or the one thats fed more wattage.

XM9 to rev-10; Keep in mind, despite Brian's efforts to pass the xm9 off as a 9" driver, is was an 8". So comparing an 8" HLCD to a 10" HLCD is no comparison. Again, its not a brand thing. The rev-10 also had a slightly larger compression driver.

Class A/B amps can and will overheat on a boat, in July, when heavily loaded. Brian gave some bad advice by telling buyers to run the 6-pod hybrid setup at 1.5 ohm p/chnl on their 2 chnl amp, even though the amp was only intended for a minimum of a 2 ohm load p/chnl. Moving to the more efficient class-D amps is a move in the right direction to avoid thermal shutdown, but also knowing how to properly setup and tune any amp, is equally important.Let me know if you ever come near South Georgia. LOL. Got a system for tou to tune up!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

stretch55
02-25-2023, 03:00 PM

Class A/B amps can and will overheat on a boat, in July, when heavily loaded. Brian gave some bad advice by telling buyers to run the 6-pod hybrid setup at 1.5 ohm p/chnl on their 2 chnl amp, even though the amp was only intended for a minimum of a 2 ohm load p/chnl. Moving to the more efficient class-D amps is a move in the right direction to avoid thermal shutdown, but also knowing how to properly setup and tune any amp, is equally important.

In your opinion, what do you think will sound better? 4 Rev 10 HD’s or 2 Rev 12 HD’s?

MLA
02-25-2023, 03:59 PM
Hard to put a finger on "better". However, 4 HLCDs, although smaller mid-bass drivers, will be louder then 2 larger HLCD. However, rule of thumb is that the larger driver will have deeper mid-bass. So a little better sound quality near field.

I have not heard the Rev-10HD yet, just the rev-10v2 v's the Rev-12HD when swapping out my v2's the 12HD.

stretch55
02-25-2023, 04:47 PM
Hard to put a finger on "better". However, 4 HLCDs, although smaller mid-bass drivers, will be louder then 2 larger HLCD. However, rule of thumb is that the larger driver will have deeper mid-bass. So a little better sound quality near field.

I have not heard the Rev-10HD yet, just the rev-10v2 v's the Rev-12HD when swapping out my v2's the 12HD.

So you have just the two 12 HD’s on your boat? Do you have the A3 tower?

MLA
02-25-2023, 05:24 PM
Something like that, its a homemade tower. :wink:

stretch55
02-25-2023, 06:14 PM
I'm a hair over 5' 11" and its pretty easy to avoid hitting your head. I won't say I have never hit my head but after you do it a couple of times you figure out how to make it not a regular occurrence.

As far as going from exile to wetsounds. I feel like my exile sub hit harder than my WS but I also bought a low end WS sub due to budget constraints. I am sure the XXX hits much harder but what I have is adequate. As far as XM9s vs REV10s there is no comparison. The Rev10s blow them out of the water, which is the main reason I made the change. Got tired of being drown out by WS systems. Overall I am much happier with the WS system and I have never had an overheating issue (my original exile amps would over heat and shut down all the time). The newer class D exile amps due seem to have fixed this problem however.

Oh lol. You’re happy with the Rev 12’s though? My gut tells me to keep them to keep the tower less crowded and avoid having to get another amp.

stretch55
02-25-2023, 08:24 PM
Something like that, its a homemade tower. :wink:

Oh lol. You’re happy with the Rev 12’s though? My gut tells me to keep them to keep the tower less crowded and avoid having to get another amp.

stretch55
03-27-2023, 04:18 PM

I replaced the REV 10 HD;s with REV 12 HD;s. I also replaced the 10" Revo 10 sub with a 12" Revo 12" sub. I am not impressed with it at all. I am swinging into Exile and picking up a 12" Xi12 sub today on my way home before I go tune everything in.

Mxmark4
03-27-2023, 07:03 PM
It the sub free air or in a box?

MLA
03-27-2023, 07:42 PM
I replaced the REV 10 HD;s with REV 12 HD;s. I also replaced the 10" Revo 10 sub with a 12" Revo 12" sub. I am not impressed with it at all. I am swinging into Exile and picking up a 12" Xi12 sub today on my way home before I go tune everything in.

Im interested in what you had prior to the Rev-10HD and you didnt just go straight to the rev-12HD?

If you removed a Revo-10FA and cut a larger hole and installed a Revo-12FA and now plain to replace it with another brand 12", I dont see you being happy with it as well. NO woofer of any brand, designed for a small enclosure, is going to perform well when running infinite-baffle. If your Revo-10HP was in a small enclosure, replacing it with the larger Revo-12HP, would reduce the internal net volume, thus narrowing the band width. The results with the exile would be similar.

This doesnt even touch on the benefits of upgrading the amp wattage, to gain a full return on the woofer's potential.

cozilla
03-28-2023, 08:25 AM
What I have found on my 21 Mojo is that the sub out from the Fusion radio is weak. Once I added an EQ that raised the voltage going to the amp the sub and the whole system really woke up.

Mxmark4
03-28-2023, 01:12 PM
What I have found on my 21 Mojo is that the sub out from the Fusion radio is weak. Once I added an EQ that raised the voltage going to the amp the sub and the whole system really woke up.

What eq did you add? My craz came with a 12 in kicker in a box stuffed under observers compartment. I dont likethe location and was going to move it but I want to hear how the factory wetsounds sub sounds before I make any adjustments. I found that it has a plastic enclosure around the back of the WS sub that I assume takes the place of a box.

cozilla
03-28-2023, 01:54 PM
I used a Clarion EQ that I had in my old boat. https://a.co/d/cKxqCjC. Works well. Wetsounds has one as well that might be better.

HFarr
03-28-2023, 10:31 PM
What I have found on my 21 Mojo is that the sub out from the Fusion radio is weak. Once I added an EQ that raised the voltage going to the amp the sub and the whole system really woke up.Can you elaborate on how you hooked it up and what settings you used? Is it just for your sub? I have a 21 Makai, which I would assume has the same Wetsound system your Mojo has. ( Two 10" tower, 10" sub" , 6" bow and rear/midship speakers. )

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

MLA
03-28-2023, 11:10 PM
For those of you with the Fusion media units and poor sub output. Before you get too krazy on doing anything, you have to go into the sub settings and up the factory default cross-over to its highest setting, then, retune the amps.

stretch55
03-30-2023, 07:51 PM
Im interested in what you had prior to the Rev-10HD and you didnt just go straight to the rev-12HD?

If you removed a Revo-10FA and cut a larger hole and installed a Revo-12FA and now plain to replace it with another brand 12", I dont see you being happy with it as well. NO woofer of any brand, designed for a small enclosure, is going to perform well when running infinite-baffle. If your Revo-10HP was in a small enclosure, replacing it with the larger Revo-12HP, would reduce the internal net volume, thus narrowing the band width. The results with the exile would be similar.

This doesnt even touch on the benefits of upgrading the amp wattage, to gain a full return on the woofer's potential.

Boat came with the rev 10 hd’s I just upgraded to the rev 12 hd’s. As far as subs go. It came with a Revo 10 hp in a ported box. I replaced that with a Revo 12 hp in a ported box and then ended up replacing the Revo 12 hp with an Exile xi12d. The exile hits way harder than the wet sounds.

MLA
03-30-2023, 09:23 PM
Interesting that a April 2023 Moomba had HD's but they didnt hit the general market till June 23.

I can say, without any hesitation, that one 12 in the same box as another 12 with same wattage, does not "hit", "slam" or "pound" any harder then the other. Theres more to this, as I stated earlier, its not a brand thing.

stretch55
03-30-2023, 10:57 PM
Interesting that a April 2023 Moomba had HD's but they didnt hit the general market till June 23.

I can say, without any hesitation, that one 12 in the same box as another 12 with same wattage, does not "hit", "slam" or "pound" any harder then the other. Theres more to this, as I stated earlier, its not a brand thing.

Maybe, but according to my ears. The exile sub sounds way better. The 12 hd’s seem to have more mid “tones” I’ll say not base over the 10 hd’s. Plus they fill the tower better. I’m 6’6” and there is no way to have 4 10’s without a concussion or two in my near future. All in all I am very very happy with swapping the 10 hd’s for 12’s, the 10” sub for a 12” sub and adding a 420 EQ.