PDA

View Full Version : Out with the old and in with the new tow rig

haknslash
01-26-2023, 01:43 PM
Well guys my ole 2010 F150 FX2 with 275k miles blew the head gasket. Rather than dump money into such an old truck I bit the bullet and finally decided to upgrade. Going to be nice not having to worry about being only a 2WD truck at the slick wet ramps now. The amount of tech in this thing is unreal and makes my 2010 feel like an ancient relic! Got the 502A and most options, save for the bed stuff.

Loving it this morning driving in hands free on the interstates lol.

https://i.imgur.com/1Tvrdxi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gqAB0Y5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IrnLyTC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6MkwcKN.jpg

bergermaister
01-26-2023, 02:41 PM
Sure is purdy. I just can't get over how short the bed is.

I won't be tempted by a new truck for quite a while with 2 in college and a shop build about to kick off.

HFarr
01-26-2023, 02:45 PM
Sweet looking ride! And yes the tech is a huge upgrade from 2010. I went from a 2002 to an 18 a few years ago and couldn't even compare the two. I see the screen in that one is even bigger than the 18 model.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

haknslash
01-26-2023, 03:20 PM
Sure is purdy. I just can't get over how short the bed is.

I won't be tempted by a new truck for quite a while with 2 in college and a shop build about to kick off.

Thanks, I am loving this thing! I contemplated going with the longer bed this time around but the short bed hasn’t been an issue for us in the 11 years we had the 2010. I was also worried my wife would not be able to park this beast if it were any larger lol.

haknslash
01-26-2023, 03:25 PM
Sweet looking ride! And yes the tech is a huge upgrade from 2010. I went from a 2002 to an 18 a few years ago and couldn't even compare the two. I see the screen in that one is even bigger than the 18 model.

Thanks man! I really wanted to try and find a 2023 with the new Avalanche color but couldn’t find any with the options I wanted. This is my first white vehicle so, I’m glad I won’t have to deal with the black for at least a while again lol.

My dad recently bought a used 2017 King Ranch that has a big screen probably like yours. The new screen is larger I think. Nice resolution and much easier to read than the small aftermarket radio screen I’ve been looking at for the last few years.

It has the Unleashed B&O sound system with I think 18 freakin speakers. Sounds really clear and much better than the old muddy door speakers my 2010 had lol. Now I just need to figure out if I want to reuse my stealth box and 10” Image Dynamics sub or sell all my old truck stuff.

larry_arizona
01-26-2023, 05:02 PM
Sweet rig, you will love the gen 14. Tech is nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
01-26-2023, 05:42 PM
Congrats!

I did this back in June 2022. Ordered a new truck in March 2022 and then sold the old one a week after. Had to use the wife's suv to tow the boat the first time out.

The upgrades and creature comforts make us spoiled, but so nice.
Is that Oxford, space, or star white?

HFarr
01-26-2023, 05:58 PM
I do have the same B/O Sound system in my 18, and yes it rocks very well. I would just leave your old stuff. You will be happy with it.

MJHSupra
01-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Nice buggy

haknslash
01-26-2023, 11:32 PM
Congrats!

I did this back in June 2022. Ordered a new truck in March 2022 and then sold the old one a week after. Had to use the wife's suv to tow the boat the first time out.

The upgrades and creature comforts make us spoiled, but so nice.
Is that Oxford, space, or star white?

It is Oxford. I also like the new Avalanche color for the 2023’s but none were around optioned out for what I was looking for. Dealer gave me a ceramic coat kit but I want to get some protective film installed on it. Already got my first small rock chip lol :(

Holdmybeer
01-27-2023, 09:37 PM
The Avalanche is nice. I like the cement gray type colors. They are glossy but almost look flat in the right light.

BUT....the Oxford will look good with that Max being pulled behind it.
Need Pacific Blue FX4 stickers!!

larry_arizona
01-28-2023, 10:50 AM
Here ya go

Decal Mods FX4 Off Road Decal Replacement Sticker for Ford F150 (2015-2020) Light Blue - FLTBLU [Set of 2] | FH5A2 https://a.co/d/jfB8fyE

haknslash
01-28-2023, 01:02 PM
Oh damn that would match pretty close to my ultra blue! Hmmmm may have to get those.

I watched a video on how they do a spray in beeline and my heart sank when they went to town sanding. It is what it is thought for the adhesion. Definitely going to get it sprayed before the season starts. My old trucks bed is scratched to hell and back. It was like that when I bought it in 2012 so I didn’t bother me but I’m going to treat the new truck like it should be.

Also looking into protective film wrap for the front end and hood. Any suggestions on film brands I should be looking for the shops to use?

HFarr
01-28-2023, 02:11 PM
I have the factory spray in liner in my truck. It has a lot of texture to it, but stuff still slides around badly. I ended up getting a rubber matt too. You may just want to look into that first. Of course the spray in does protect the sides and fenderwells from scratches too.

Holdmybeer
01-28-2023, 03:41 PM
Depending who you go to your liner can be sprayed in to match the body color. Factory spray in is just black but you get an Oxford white spray and be stealth about it.

Sorry for the pacific and ultra mix up on the Max....but yes the FX4 stickers to match.

haknslash
01-29-2023, 07:17 PM
Being new to 4WD, what settings do I need to use for the boat ramp? Engage rear diff and what 4WD setting? Or should I just use the “slippery’ drive mode which engages 4H?

HFarr
01-29-2023, 08:28 PM
Depends on your ramp. How slippery is it? You can most likely just leave everything in 2wd on a well built ramp. If you start to spin, then just flip the switch to 4high, or pull it out to lock the rear diff if needed. If you're not sure, then just flip the switch to 4 auto and let the truck do its thing. 4 low is pretty low!

larry_arizona
01-29-2023, 08:39 PM
Back in with 2WD, if your rear tires can stay dry, keep it in 2WD. Don’t try and back up and manuver in 4WD on dry pavement or else the truck will Buck and fight you.

If you require to get rear tires wet, hit 4WD and be sure to keep front tires dry. This is the ONLY way you can prevent truck from sliding if rear tires are on slick/slime ramp. 4WD will lock the front wheels from sliding when you put it in park.

Slippery mode won’t help at all and does not auto engage 4WD.

MJHSupra
01-29-2023, 08:50 PM
90% of the time, I never have to use mine. There are a few ramps that are super steep or get a little greasy as the summer moves on. That is when I flip mine into 4wd.

Usually when I’m backing in, close to the water as the truck and trailer are straight.

haknslash
01-29-2023, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys. The ramps I’ll be using require the rear wheels to get wet since these are shallow angle ramps. The reason I was suggesting slippery mode is it does mention it engages 4WD and seemed naturally fitting to a slick ramp. Some of the ramps are well maintained and can get slick from algae growth, moss etc. Another lake we previously used has a very steep ramp which is on a river system. I had a hell of a time on that ramp and swore ever going back for fear of losing my 2WD truck to it. I’ll have more faith with this truck.

This is what I had read on the slippery mode:

Slippery Mode
Slippery mode is beneficial in less than ideal road conditions like snow or ice-covered roads. This mode is often used for crossing terrain where a firm surface is roofed with loose, wet, or slippery material. Slippery mode lowers throttle response and optimizes shifting for slippery surfaces.
The four-wheel-drive auto is the default four-wheel-drive mode. Two-wheel drive high isn’t available in slippery mode.

Holdmybeer
01-29-2023, 10:35 PM
Not sure about the new Fords. My Chevy and wife's GMC have the 2 speed transfer case. I use AUTO awd which will engage the front wheels when the rear slip.

If SLIPPERY mode does the same thing I would use it at the ramp then back to 2wd once ready to drive home.

cucv
01-30-2023, 09:49 AM
My recommendation after working several years next to a busy ramp:
Get the truck and trailer lined up with the ramp and put in 4H or 4L (preferred) prior to decending down the ramp. With the truck in 4H or 4L, the ebrake and transmission are engaging front and rear tires helping prevent the truck going into the drink if the rear tires are on a slippery surface or if the load on the rear tires is reduced during loading. I've had too many close calls with a 2wd truck and seen too many trucks go in the drink to not use 4wd when it's just a push of a button.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
01-30-2023, 10:53 AM
Get the truck and trailer lined up with the ramp and put in 4H or 4L (preferred) prior to decending down the ramp. With the truck in 4H or 4L, the ebrake and transmission are engaging front and rear tires helping prevent the truck going into the drink if the rear tires are on a slippery surface or if the load on the rear tires is reduced during loading. I've had too many close calls with a 2wd truck and seen too many trucks go in the drink to not use 4wd when it's just a push of a button.

I agree with this 99%, only minor correction is the Ebrake only applies the rear brakes, but the key to 4WD is it locks the front tires through trans and transfer case as you mentioned.

I too have experienced sliding backwards on a slippery ramp as soon as you release brake pedal in park.

I have also seen 4WD trucks slide with 4WD engaged when front tires are wet on the slick part of ramp.

sandm
01-30-2023, 11:06 AM

this was our preferred as well. as mentioned, we have slid on the ramp while stopping so we always pull up far enough to ensure a stop on dry pavement then back up and in.

bergermaister
01-30-2023, 03:48 PM
Captain obvious here, but didn't see this mentioned so....

If your rear is spinning on a slick ramp I would NOT engage 4wd while "in motion" if the front is on dryer/less slick pavement. Stop, engage 4wd, proceed with the burnout up the ramp.

In the snow or sand or mud, 4wd while on light throttle shouldn't hurt. Just be mindful.

haknslash
01-30-2023, 06:42 PM
Good info everyone. Thanks again! Loving this new truck a lot!

HFarr
01-30-2023, 07:24 PM
Yes, or rather NO. Don't ever engage 4wd while spinning. Bad things can happen. Another thing I always tell people is to use your emergency brake if you have to get out of the truck on the ramp. I have seen people put a wheel chock on the front tire too just as an extra safety. Ideally, if you have someone that can stay in the truck with their foot on the brake, that is best as it locks all 4 tires. Remember park generally only locks 1 wheel on a 2wd.

larry_arizona
01-30-2023, 10:11 PM
Yes, or rather NO. Don't ever engage 4wd while spinning. Bad things can happen. Another thing I always tell people is to use your emergency brake if you have to get out of the truck on the ramp. I have seen people put a wheel chock on the front tire too just as an extra safety. Ideally, if you have someone that can stay in the truck with their foot on the brake, that is best as it locks all 4 tires. Remember park generally only locks 1 wheel on a 2wd.

Emergency brake only locks rear wheels, only way to get out of truck with all 4 wheels locked with foot off brake is 4WD engaged in park.

larry_arizona
01-30-2023, 10:30 PM
Emergency brake only locks rear wheels, only way to get out of truck with all 4 wheels locked with foot off brake is 4WD engaged in park.

Or add a line lock on front brake lines

haknslash
01-31-2023, 06:55 PM
My wife stays in the truck covering foot on brake anytime the boat is being loaded or unloaded on the ramp. So we good there. When solo I would use a chock sometimes on sketchy ramps. I’ve also forgot to remove the chock prior to pulling out and let me tell ya, a plastic chock will sound like a double barrel shotgun when it explodes and you’ll get all kinds of funny looks from the ramp crowds :D

sandm
01-31-2023, 09:29 PM
a plastic chock will sound like a double barrel shotgun when it explodes

I know this sound. don't ask me how :)

haknslash
02-08-2023, 05:23 PM
First mod: get rid of the stupid incandescent license plate bulbs and replace with LED to match everything. I can’t believe Ford went from LED on the 2021’s to incandescent for the 2022+ trucks. Supply chain my ass this was just stupid when everything else is LED and new tech lol. Whatever, it looks much better now and no more ugly yellow light.

https://i.imgur.com/K6nw1io.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5JYadku.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XT5IV4r.jpg

Holdmybeer
02-08-2023, 11:17 PM
I need to do this to my new truck also....thanks for reminding me.

cucv
02-09-2023, 09:17 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWith the transfer case in 4wd, the emergency brakes on the rear wheels act like a cardan shaft brake, locking the front wheel(s). You truly get all 4 wheels this way with a front diff lock. There is no park with a manual transmission, but one can use the engine as a brake with it turned off.

larry_arizona
02-09-2023, 12:43 PM
With the transfer case in 4wd, the emergency brakes on the rear wheels act like a cardan shaft brake, locking the front wheel(s). You truly get all 4 wheels this way with a front diff lock. There is no park with a manual transmission, but one can use the engine as a brake with it turned off.

I disagree, with 4wd engaged, the only thing that will prevent the front wheels from rolling is the parking pawl engaged on an automatic transmission.

Park brake applies either a rear axle “drum in hat” mechanism or engages the rear brake calipers only.

If you are in 4WD, park brake engaged in neutral and the rear tires start sliding on slick ramp, the front wheels will roll.

haknslash
02-13-2023, 09:18 AM
Ordered some Husky rear wheel well liners. Why Ford continues to skimp on these and charge as an option is beyond me. Liners should arrive Thursday. Also getting a stage 1 polish and detail and PPF wrap with Xpel Ultimate+ on Friday to help protect the paint since I commute so far to work on the highways.

BTW Anyone running the Curt 45900 adjustable drop hitch? My last setup was all Curt hardware and it seems well built. I like there is a gusset welded in for support compared to other higher prices adjustable hitches.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45900-Adjustable-Trailer-Receiver/dp/B004SMGAJ6/ref=asc_df_B004SMGAJ6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312141063511&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2699021199124699334&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060223&hvtargid=pla-451379589068&psc=1

MJHSupra
02-13-2023, 11:39 AM
BTW Anyone running the Curt 45900 adjustable drop hitch? My last setup was all Curt hardware and it seems well built. I like there is a gusset welded in for support compared to other higher prices adjustable hitches.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45900-Adjustable-Trailer-Receiver/dp/B004SMGAJ6/ref=asc_df_B004SMGAJ6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312141063511&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2699021199124699334&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060223&hvtargid=pla-451379589068&psc=1

A friend has one and I helped him tow a loaded car-hauler with my tow rig.

It was pretty solid, and it was easy to adjust to get the trailer level. The only thing I questioned was the hitch pins and clips to hold the in the channel. This one was not locking on his setup, but they probably sell them.

Holdmybeer
02-13-2023, 11:52 AM
Hak

I bought one of these 2 years ago. It makes everything much more comfortable going down the road. Also adjustable and I use this to tow everything besides the boat. Not trying to spend more of your money just sharing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/CURT/C83WR.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google%20%7C%20Shop%20-%20Trailer%20Hitch%20Ball%20Mount&adgroupid=87631909362&campaignid=1672411804&creative=404001588902&device=m&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9014889&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=CjwKCAiA3KefBhByEiwAi2LDHK1SdPix1aObdGosEuKy s6JAsoFWGq0vXDKXBZEwKIFxW7iagGVVkxoCmJQQAvD_BwE

haknslash
02-13-2023, 06:20 PM
A friend has one and I helped him tow a loaded car-hauler with my tow rig.

It was pretty solid, and it was easy to adjust to get the trailer level. The only thing I questioned was the hitch pins and clips to hold the in the channel. This one was not locking on his setup, but they probably sell them.

I noticed the pins didn’t have any security either. I figured I could either have my work machine me new longer pins to add locks if they don’t already offer them or just remove the balls when I’m not towing to prevent any theft.

Holdmybeer,those are nice and super beefy but way more than I really care to spend. If I were towing more weight and needed those I would certainly give them some good thought. But yea, between the truck payment and the boat payment trying to keep wife happy and not push it too far lol.

bergermaister
02-13-2023, 06:35 PM
Come on now, I'm more than happy to spend your money for you.

I went with a Fastway Aluminum hitch a few years ago and couldn't be happier since I tow 4 different trailers. What I really like about it is no pins to lose and hidden locking mechanisms.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/fastway-flash-silent-tow-ball-mount-47-00-3806/_/R-FHKQ-47-00-3806

MJHSupra
02-15-2023, 11:20 AM
I noticed the pins didn’t have any security either. I figured I could either have my work machine me new longer pins to add locks if they don’t already offer them or just remove the balls when I’m not towing to prevent any theft.

I'm sure there are other companies that would sell the pins/locks that would fit once you know the size. Web sites such as etrailer basically sell everything.

Nice that some companies sell this in an all-in one package - drop-hitch, pins, locks, keys, etc.

haknslash
02-17-2023, 07:20 AM
Installed some Husky wheel liners last night, in the pouring rain of course. Looks much better in the rear wheel wells and matches the front now.

Before
https://i.imgur.com/HInOH2b.jpg

After
https://i.imgur.com/dCSuwcR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3p2ScOO.jpg

HFarr
02-17-2023, 11:39 AM
Hey that does make a difference I may have to do that to mine.

haknslash
02-17-2023, 12:43 PM
Definitely looks much better. These cover the frame rails also. Not the best fit in the drivers side compared to the passenger side but for $160 can’t really complain I suppose.

Dropped the truck off this morning for the PPF wrap and can’t wait to see how it turns out when I pick it up tomorrow.

haknslash
02-18-2023, 06:30 PM
Got the truck back today from the PPF install. They did an amazing job!!

https://youtu.be/1UJsK6AcaQw

haknslash
02-18-2023, 08:34 PM
Wiped the truck down with some Ignition from Shine Products. Man this stuff shines good and smells even better. Cleaned the film right up and looks nice against the sunset!

https://youtu.be/fPjGPQ9yRxM

haknslash
02-19-2023, 10:30 AM
Realized in my previous post the video didn’t upload in 4K so I’ve reuploaded it….

https://youtu.be/aJQ4e_UQjHk

larry_arizona
02-19-2023, 02:37 PM
Rig looks sweet!!!

haknslash
02-21-2023, 11:10 AM
Thanks Larry! Can’t wait to see the boat hooked up to it. Now it will finally match better than my black truck :D

cucv
02-21-2023, 02:48 PM
Lookin good @haknslash, I love the drive to get the fender wells in regardless of the weather. I keep thinking of getting PPF for my trailers as they could really use it.

rdlangston13
02-24-2023, 07:32 AM
Ordered some Husky rear wheel well liners. Why Ford continues to skimp on these and charge as an option is beyond me. Liners should arrive Thursday. Also getting a stage 1 polish and detail and PPF wrap with Xpel Ultimate+ on Friday to help protect the paint since I commute so far to work on the highways.

If i were you I would go with the BW tow and stow... They make different drop lengths and when not in use it tucks up under the truck so you dont bash any shins

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Hitches-Adjustable-Hitch-Mount/dp/B000S0N2S4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2KZORJZFBG1T7&keywords=tow+and+stow&qid=1677238241&s=automotive&sprefix=%2Cautomotive%2C1196&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.e3dc0fa2-4ee8-4881-a97d-5992ecbdb227

haknslash
03-06-2023, 10:03 PM
Ended up going with the Curt 45900 and it’s a beast! Solid throughout and I just feel safer with the beefier gusset design. Ready to tow for the season.

https://i.imgur.com/ASq1nKa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sKWi19D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FL30j5x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JDE9QaR.jpg

HFarr
03-07-2023, 10:31 AM
It's definitely heavy looking. I am sure the picture angle is deceptive, but it looks like the bottom of that hitch is only a few inches from the ground?

haknslash
03-07-2023, 02:26 PM
It's definitely heavy looking. I am sure the picture angle is deceptive, but it looks like the bottom of that hitch is only a few inches from the ground?

Yea it’s just the angle I took the pic last night. It has just over 12 1/2” clearance from the bottom of the hitch to the ground.

https://i.imgur.com/QqxYaAR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bbG64un.jpg

HFarr
03-07-2023, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah! That's plenty. I was starting to think you might plow some fields during the off season with that first picture! LOL!

larry_arizona
03-07-2023, 06:19 PM
That Curt is nice, and 10k# for the 2" ball is plenty.

2in2out
03-09-2023, 08:49 AM
If you invert it, it’ll keep you from from high centering when backing out of steep driveway. Ask me how I know!

Check to ensure your tailgate won’t drop on it when inverted. Again, ask me how I know.

On a bright side, it saved the coupler from denting the bumper when I asked a friend to back my truck up to my trailer.

2022 SA 450

cucv
03-10-2023, 02:49 PM
Yes it's a Curt! Great quality at a great price. This is a pic I forgot to post on an earlier topic in the thread on how the rear e-brakes have a braking effect on the front wheels while in 4H or 4L. Transmission in Neutral, transfer case in 4H, e-brake on, the suburban is not moving with the rear wheels off the ground. Mind you, this may not work when you are in "Auto" 4WD with an open "differential" in the transfer case. The tractor picking it up actually only has one drum brake on the pinion shaft side of the front axle and applies braking force thru the driveline to all the wheels for the e-brake.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230310/fde485daa3b96883584e327ab8c8d7ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

HFarr
03-11-2023, 01:54 PM
I have to ask......what the hell happened here!? [emoji848]

MJHSupra
03-11-2023, 02:55 PM
Must be going for the old skool muscle car rake look

cucv
03-14-2023, 01:39 PM
I have to ask......what the hell happened here!? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk I'm a snow plow contractor and was out preparing for a storm. We end up moving things that are in the way in non conventional ways... I was thinking of this thread and figured I could further explain my point on e-brakes with a picture, so I put the chain on my suburban to prove the point.

HFarr
03-14-2023, 04:26 PM
I'm a snow plow contractor and was out preparing for a storm. We end up moving things that are in the way in non conventional ways... I was thinking of this thread and figured I could further explain my point on e-brakes with a picture, so I put the chain on my suburban to prove the point.

Sent from my SM-S911U using TapatalkOk! I was trying to make this be a picture of a trailer that popped off the ball while loading a tractor on it, or something of that nature that was way too heavy for the truck. And I couldn't for the life of me figure out why your safety chain was so damn long! LOL!

HFarr
03-14-2023, 04:29 PM
Now that I zoom in on the picture, I can see it's not a trailer at the top, and it's a chain looped round the hitch.

cucv
03-14-2023, 06:03 PM
View from the office today. Mother nature has dumped almost a foot of cement and still snowing at over an inch an hour. Trees down all over taking out power.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230314/3fd530a03a926b260554b7cb492d3faf.jpg

HFarr
03-14-2023, 08:20 PM
Wow! That's insane!

sandm
03-14-2023, 11:41 PM
Reminds me of my days in green bay...

Best day ever was the day I sold the ariens blower.....

haknslash
03-24-2023, 07:05 PM
Went down to the storage unit to start getting the boat ready for the season. Hooked it up to the truck for the first time and also setup the pro backup assist and program the trailer to the truck. Definitely matches the boat much better than my old truck!

https://i.imgur.com/wxKDbEI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eKK94F8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/drjzUud.jpg

larry_arizona
03-25-2023, 08:27 AM
Nice rig match for sure. What are your thoughts on the pro trailer back up assist?

Does your PTA use the sensor box mounted to trailer with the wire harness pig tail?

I have it, it works, but I don't use it. I am quicker/more efficient without it

haknslash
03-25-2023, 09:36 AM
Mine came with the older sticker setup instead of the newer sensor and harness. I don’t plan to use PTA but wanted to set it up in hopes I can get the wife to help a little more around the boat ramp. Hoping this will ease her nerves a bit but I must admit it made me nervous using it lol. I was much faster and better doing it the tried and true old school way. I DO love the added super wide camera view you get once you program a trailer to Sync though!

larry_arizona
03-25-2023, 10:11 AM
Mine came with the older sticker setup instead of the newer sensor and harness. I don’t plan to use PTA but wanted to set it up in hopes I can get the wife to help a little more around the boat ramp. Hoping this will ease her nerves a bit but I must admit it made me nervous using it lol. I was much faster and better doing it the tried and true old school way. I DO love the added super wide camera view you get once you program a trailer to Sync though!

I think PTA is only effective for someone who has never learned trailer backing. I can't deprogram myself.

Good luck on getting your wife to learn.

The 360 cameras are nice.

HFarr
03-25-2023, 11:21 AM
Boat looks good back there. You should get some blue fx stickers for your truck to make it a slam dunk.

Mxmark4
03-25-2023, 02:06 PM
I tried to use it in my moms f150 and didnt realize you have to put stickers on thebtrailer and program some stuff to get it workin. Oh well I can back a trailer just fine the old fashioned way.

larry_arizona
03-25-2023, 02:48 PM
I tried to use it in my moms f150 and didnt realize you have to put stickers on thebtrailer and program some stuff to get it workin. Oh well I can back a trailer just fine the old fashioned way.

The 1st Gen uses the trailer stickers, 2nd Gen uses a sensor that attaches to trailer.

Although I have heard 2nd Gen can now do the stickers as an option. The yaw sensor kits are $300 per trailer.

haknslash
03-25-2023, 08:55 PM
From what I gather it was based on build dates which got them. Supply chain and all that. I don’t mind the sticker as it was a breeze to setup plus if you have multiple trailers you’re set.

MJHSupra
03-25-2023, 08:58 PM
Boat looks good back there. You should get some blue fx stickers for your truck to make it a slam dunk.

Good call