PDA

View Full Version : Idling problems

outback 4
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I've got a 06 outback that i got brand new and have put 17 hrs on it, but i continue to have problems with the engine not idling very well. Even after the engine warms up it still will shut off when throttling up to idle speed. Curious if this is somewhat normal or if i should deal with it when i have the 20 hour service done?

Buttafewcoe
05-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Definitely have them check it out (knack for the obvious!?!).
I was pretty hands off, cept for the very minor stuff, when I first got mine, letting the dealer take care of a list that I made up of stuff that needed addressed when I took the boat in for the 1st service. Worked out good.
Hope this helps
B

carsondoc
05-16-2007, 03:17 PM
What kind of engine? Carb or not?

outback 4
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
may sound dumb, but not sure if it's carborated or not. It's the Indmar Assault 310hp V-8.

qb12
05-16-2007, 08:06 PM
may sound dumb, but not sure if it's carborated or not. It's the Indmar Assault 310hp V-8.

carb.

i would have dealer adjust it asap. it might be your elevation.

my old 02 outback did the samething and a client of mine who is a master mechanic took care of it.

dgarcia523
05-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I have a 2002 Mobius LSV with 126 hours and having similar problems. I have not had one single problem with my moomba since i bought it brand new in 02. I have regular maintenance done every year. This season it started on day one, when it is in gear, under 5 mph (no wake zones), for an extended amount of time, it will increase rpm's for a second then engine will die. Can not restart until 10-15 minutes pass. It runs great out in the open. We board behind it, turn it off and on, everything as normal. The problem only happens when it idle at low speed for an extended amount of time. My dealer/repair shop does not have a good answer. Any help?

Engine Nut
05-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I have a 2002 Mobius LSV with 126 hours and having similar problems. I have not had one single problem with my moomba since i bought it brand new in 02. I have regular maintenance done every year. This season it started on day one, when it is in gear, under 5 mph (no wake zones), for an extended amount of time, it will increase rpm's for a second then engine will die. Can not restart until 10-15 minutes pass. It runs great out in the open. We board behind it, turn it off and on, everything as normal. The problem only happens when it idle at low speed for an extended amount of time. My dealer/repair shop does not have a good answer. Any help?

Just a note to anyone posting for assistance with engine issues. Please let us know what engine it is you have as well as the model year of the boat. It helps us to know whether the engine is a Carbureted Assault 310, a Throttle Body Fuel Injected Assault 320, a Multiport Fuel Injected Assault 325, a Multiport Fuel Injected Assault 340, an 8.1L or whatever it is. They all have their unique characteristics and troubleshooting differences. Please help us to help you by giving this information.

dgarcia523
05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I have a 2002 Mobius LSV with 126 hours and having similar problems. I have not had one single problem with my moomba since i bought it brand new in 02. I have regular maintenance done every year. This season it started on day one, when it is in gear, under 5 mph (no wake zones), for an extended amount of time, it will increase rpm's for a second then engine will die. Can not restart until 10-15 minutes pass. It runs great out in the open. We board behind it, turn it off and on, everything as normal. The problem only happens when it idle at low speed for an extended amount of time. My dealer/repair shop does not have a good answer. Any help The engine is a 320 hp indmar 5.7 EFI

Buttafewcoe
06-01-2007, 07:40 AM
I had a similar problem after the 1st winter storage. Turned out to be a sticky anti-siphon valve on top of the gas tank. No worries since.
Hope this helps
B

shinknasty
06-12-2007, 10:03 PM
i have a 06 outback v had the same problems took it to get serviced and told them and they adjusted it and havnt had a problem since

BrightSide
07-08-2008, 11:30 AM
After stopping briefly, and then restarting, the engine cuts out and won't start for 10-15 mintues. Acts a LOT like an old fashioned vapor lock.

I replaced the filter first, it was the last thing that I changed at the beginning of the season, hope that does it. The make/model is a 2002 Outback LS, 310 HP carb. Keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't more.

Also, where is the anti-siphon valve located? This boat has been stellar since I purchased it brand new in 2002, first sign of any trouble, BTW. Love it!!

BrightSide
07-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I found it, it was full of "goop". New filter and this little syphon device (what is the functionality of this, this check device would have been nice in the old mechanical pump days?), I've had it out on the lake for two long runs, came in, and it seems to be starting, running fine.

I hope that was all this was, I'm hearing a lot of 'noise' from the fuel pump, just called the dealer and will drive up to get one, 'just in case'. This forum has been a lot of help, reading all these relevant threads was priceless.

JesseC
07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Where was the anit-syphon device located? I have an 02 and it could probably use a good cleaning.

Gqjeff
07-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Bringing this back from the dead lol. I think our 2003 Moomba Outback 310hp carb is in need do an adj also. It's only got 197 hrs on it and it dies at slow speed and idle also. So my question is where is that anti-syphon valve located? I'm thinking carb could use a good cleaning also.

Gqjeff
07-28-2014, 03:26 PM
found a place about 45 miles away that services Indmar engines. Should hopefully get it back to running like new.

Gqjeff
07-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Carbs messed up so just told them to order a new 1. I'll have a local guy check out the old one and see if he can get it working. If so I'll have a spare or sell it to try and get a few bucks back.

86century
07-30-2014, 08:42 PM
The few years off is probably the key to your problems.

The alcohol in the fuel these days is hard on stuff likely gummed up one of the idle circuits.

Not a big deal to clean.

Gqjeff
07-30-2014, 10:11 PM
The place it's at doesn't do cleaning they said. Said only would save a few hundred compared to just getting a new carb????? I'm no mechanic so taking their word for it????

86century
07-31-2014, 09:22 AM
Cleaning even a marine carb is easy.

Unfortunately most techs now days are push button or more comfortable with a computer controlled system.