PDA

View Full Version : Starter

sleepy924
05-15-2007, 10:36 PM
I have a 2001 Outback in need of a new starter. I am having problems finding the one for my boat. Any idea on numbers?

Thanks

Engine Nut
05-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a 2001 Outback in need of a new starter. I am having problems finding the one for my boat.

Any idea on numbers?

Thanks

The Indmar part number forthe starter is S571006. If your dealer doesn't have one on the shelf, we can get one to him before the weekend.

If you go elsewhere for a starter, make sure that it is a marine starter not an automotive starter.Look for the number J1171 on the starter to verify it as a marine component.

deepcove
05-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Why not just get it rebuilt?

Engine Nut
05-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Why not just get it rebuilt?

As long as they are rebuilt to J1171 specifications, rebuilt starters are just fine.

gossman
06-24-2009, 02:34 PM
My boat wouldn't start. Had a mechanic take a look today when he was at our dock. Says the starter's bad. Today is Wednesday and we're leaving next Tuesday to take friends down to the lake for the 4th of July. I won't be able to get to the boat until I'm there with friends. My dad lives where the boat is but he's not too mechanically inclined. How hard is it to replace a starter yourself? I'm guessing pricy since people are recommending rebuilding them. Rebuilding may not be an option to have the boat running by next week.

Any help is appreciated!

mmandley
06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Rebuilding them is mostly due to not wanting to pay the price of a brand new one.

Replacing them is pretty simple.

You need a set of assorted size wrenches and or sockets.

Disconnect at main battery.

You just remove the battery cables from it. Remember where they go. Then there's generally 2 bolts holding it to the engine. Take those off and the starter pulls straight out if it hasn't fallen off already.

Just line the new one up and install it in reverse of removing the old one.

gossman
07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks Mandley! It went just as you said. 2 bolts and about 3 wires to 2 terminals. The starter was along the side of the motor on the bottom. The bolts went straight up into the block from the bottom so it was a bit of a pain getting wrenches under them and removing them. A few cuts and scratches from fitting in the tight spaces. Other than that, it went pretty quick and smooth.

scoot_gt
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
A few cuts and scratches from fitting in the tight spaces. Other than that, it went pretty quick and smooth.

Haha - this made me laugh. I thought this was SOP? Why else would I need beer and curse words?

kaneboats
07-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Yup, beer and those extra words were invented long before man ever opened the hood but never put till proper use till then.

HFarr
08-11-2023, 11:48 AM
My boat wouldn't crank over. A mechanic stopped at our dock today and had a look. A faulty starter, they say. We'll be going on Wednesday to take some friends to the lake for the Fourth of July, which is next Tuesday. Unless I have company, I can't board the boat. My dad has a house near where the boat is, but he isn't very good with machinery. How challenging would it be to change a starter on your own? People are suggesting reconstructing them, therefore I'm assuming they're pricey. The boat probably can't be rebuilt in time to be operational by next week. geometry dash (https://geometry-dash.io/)I smell bot

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

bergermaister
08-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Yeah. AI is going to make this whole moderating thing so much more fun....

HFarr
08-13-2023, 09:02 AM
Yeah. AI is going to make this whole moderating thing so much more fun........and it won't be just on sites like this. It's constantly getting smarter.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk