PDA

View Full Version : DIY Rear Sun Shade

996scott
09-14-2022, 11:11 AM
So I decided to see if i could make a rear sun shade for my Craz. I think it came out pretty good so i thought i would pass along the info. I haven't used it yet on the water so i will update in a few weeks after we get back from a fall weekend trip. I basically used a set of adjustible tent polls and a tent tarp i got from Amazon. There are a lot less expensive adjustable tent poles out there but i went with these. The tarp comes is several sizes but i got the 71" X 87" which is basically a 6' X 7' and fits perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K1B91Q?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSHXB7D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

996scott
09-14-2022, 11:15 AM
I used the cup holder on the back of the boat to help secure the tent pole. I had some random bungee cords laying around so i took the hooks off it. I removed the small black plastic drain on the bottom of the cup holder and threaded the bungee through it to make a loop and used a washer underneath the cup holder to hold the knots on the end of the bungee from pulling through. This gave me a loop for the tent pole to slide through.

996scott
09-14-2022, 11:18 AM
I had several velcro straps laying around that we use to tie up our ropes and they worked perfect to secure the bottom of the tent pole to the boat and then the bungee from the cup holer.

996scott
09-14-2022, 11:45 AM
I sewed a loop onto the tarp to go over the tower pole and then just used a couple of bungees to hold the sides of the tarp to the tower. I will have to fool with this and see what is the best anchor point for the tarp to the side of the tower when the bimini is up. I really is quite sturdy and i don't think we will have any problems with it. I'll follow up in a couple of weeks and let you know how it worked.

Holdmybeer
09-14-2022, 12:29 PM
First off, bravo and it looks good.

I only see 3 issues if you plan on using while moving.
1. The poles could rub your transom and leave marks
2. Same for the feet on the swim pad
3. Not sure how the rope will do over the top if you want it up while boarding/surfing

Very interested though. Looks good!

MJHSupra
09-14-2022, 12:31 PM
Nice job. Really covers the entire area.

996scott
09-14-2022, 12:46 PM
First off, bravo and it looks good.

I only see 3 issues if you plan on using while moving.
1. The poles could rub your transom and leave marks
2. Same for the feet on the swim pad
3. Not sure how the rope will do over the top if you want it up while boarding/surfing

Very interested though. Looks good!

I don't plan on using it while moving, just floating/relaxing. It might be interesting to see if we could surf with it. We have a pro tower that has side tow points that might work. We'll have to see if the rope would hit the pole. I definitely would not have it up while trying to teach someone to sure but for those who are seasoned surfers i bet it would be fine. We will see......

HFarr
09-14-2022, 03:16 PM
That really is a nice job. You could go so far as to find sort of flange that mounted to the swim platform to hold the pole securely. Either a surface mount, or drill a hole and recess it if you really got serious. You could probably put a bottom in the recess version and not use a thumb/set screw. Or something similar to these. There are lots of choices out there to accomplish the same.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220914/3e783c7979954eb0f38aad0ec223cbde.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220914/abd30b5be242ad12d2b8d139963cc39a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
09-14-2022, 03:54 PM
That really is a nice job. You could go so far as to find sort of flange that mounted to the swim platform to hold the pole securely. Either a surface mount, or drill a hole and recess it if you really got serious. You could probably put a bottom in the recess version and not use a thumb/set screw. Or something similar to these. There are lots of choices out there to accomplish the same.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220914/3e783c7979954eb0f38aad0ec223cbde.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220914/abd30b5be242ad12d2b8d139963cc39a.jpg

When I was looking into this I was going this route but permanently removing my cup holders. Just put pole mounts in and be done with it. No one uses the transom cup holders in my crew but using the holes they are replaceable when I want to sell.

Mxmark4
09-14-2022, 09:26 PM
@knoxmojo has a setup that uses a tesla sunroof shade that works pretty slick with his SA.

HFarr
09-15-2022, 08:44 AM
Picture of it??

MJHSupra
09-15-2022, 10:48 AM
Picture of it??

I noticed it on Fbook when @knoxmojo was riding with @mxmark4. If I recall it was black Telsa Glass Roof Sunshade from Amazon. Used some clamps and/or straps to hold it to the existing bimini. Looked like it extended about 2' off the back of the existing tower.

@knoxmojo will see this and probably post up a pic. I would bet he might have version 2 changes or something for the front too.

Cool idea for appx $50-60 and some clamps and straps!

sandm
09-15-2022, 01:38 PM
996, looks great.
I am with holdmybeer/hfarr tho that if i was going to do it, I'd remove or modify the rear cupholders and use them as the mounts. iirc nautty does something like what he posted up for theirs but I don't recall what I saw when I was at the dealer a few sleeps ago.

I wish I would have built something like this for the vegas sun. it was brutal in july and we typically pulled off the water by 1pm as it was too hot to sit anywhere but under the bimini or in the water. rear seats and sundeck were all but off limits and the gator on the floor was unbearable without socks on.

Mxmark4
09-15-2022, 03:34 PM
I sewed a loop onto the tarp to go over the tower pole and then just used a couple of bungees to hold the sides of the tarp to the tower. I will have to fool with this and see what is the best anchor point for the tarp to the side of the tower when the bimini is up. I really is quite sturdy and i don't think we will have any problems with it. I'll follow up in a couple of weeks and let you know how it worked.

That looks awesome. Didnt get a chance to look at it earlier this mornong when I read thru your posts. Wonder if you drilled holes thru the swim platform to sink the tent poles into to lock them in where it didnt need the cupholder bungees. Maybe sink two shallow rod holders into the swim platform? Either way for chillin in the cove thats a sweet setup and as long as you came in under the 1000 dollars Supra charges you came out way ahead.

WildH
09-15-2022, 08:19 PM
I noticed it on Fbook when @knoxmojo was riding with @mxmark4. If I recall it was black Telsa Glass Roof Sunshade from Amazon. Used some clamps and/or straps to hold it to the existing bimini. Looked like it extended about 2' off the back of the existing tower.

@knoxmojo will see this and probably post up a pic. I would bet he might have version 2 changes or something for the front too.

Cool idea for appx $50-60 and some clamps and straps!

Here's a pic. Not mine. Was on Facebook. Looks like an easy way to make a solid shade. 3065730657

Mxmark4
09-15-2022, 08:39 PM
Yeah thats KnoxMojos boat. Thats the day I went out with him. Sweet setup for 60 bucks.

HFarr
09-15-2022, 10:22 PM
Yeah thats KnoxMojos boat. Thats the day I went out with him. Sweet setup for 60 bucks.Ok. I gotta have more info on that. You say it's a Tesla sunshade? It looks bigger. Whatever it is, it looks factory.

Mxmark4
09-16-2022, 01:03 AM
Ok. I gotta have more info on that. You say it's a Tesla sunshade? It looks bigger. Whatever it is, it looks factory.

Pm hin for info. We used the surf straps to hold it along with a couple clamps. Worked great! The Supra rear shade helped support it better than what my A3 tower would. I noticed that part for sure. But with so.e ingenuity im sure it would be a viable option for moomba towers

MJHSupra
09-16-2022, 09:56 AM
I was just texting him last night about riding of the lake. On Amazon, try to search for: pavaaidan tesla model y roof sunshade - ? I think that is how the company is spelled?. That is from the post above by @wildh on the Fbook thread with the pic listed above.

A few other have tired it too and like the function. One guy had 4 spring clamps holding it on. I will see if I have the pic on my phone - not on that device right now.

MJHSupra
09-16-2022, 02:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220916/b5280c44d08710f05eac40291c77bc65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
09-16-2022, 02:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220916/b47f0fea25bd283cdcbc5d331893a221.jpg

MJHSupra
09-16-2022, 02:48 PM
From the FBook thread when someone else was trying @knoxmojo’s idea.

Zog
09-16-2022, 05:23 PM
I wonder how well that would work with my Sewlong Bimini... :cool:

htfit
09-17-2022, 09:13 AM
Maybe just put some snaps on it like the boat covers. I would think 5 or 6 snaps would keep it on no problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

HFarr
09-17-2022, 10:45 AM
Looks simple enough!

KnoxMojo
09-17-2022, 11:07 AM
Just now seeing these. I do have version 2.0. MJH knows I can't leave anything alone. I took 2 of my ratcheting clamps and drilled holes in them. Took a couple zip ties and a strap. Now I can clamp it at the bimini frame, the surf strap and around the tower tow point. Before it didn't budge at surf speed, now it doesn't move at wakeboard speeds. You could clamp it off the front as well, but wouldn't drive around like that.

MJHSupra
09-17-2022, 08:15 PM
Just now seeing these. I do have version 2.0. MJH knows I can't leave anything alone. I took 2 of my ratcheting clamps and drilled holes in them. Took a couple zip ties and a strap. Now I can clamp it at the bimini frame, the surf strap and around the tower tow point. Before it didn't budge at surf speed, now it doesn't move at wakeboard speeds. You could clamp it off the front as well, but wouldn't drive around like that.

Truth. Success I doing something at 22mph.