PDA

View Full Version : Gator step on back seat and engine lid cutting people

rockymtnsurfer
08-18-2022, 06:35 PM
2022 New Max: I am on 17hrs so far and 3 people have cut their knee, toe and ass on the seat gator step down and1 on the back engine lid. Anyone else? and. is there a fix. I have a hard time imagining I am the only one with this problem.

Dukabor
08-18-2022, 09:49 PM
While I do appreciate it as a nice place to step down into the boat, I have had to warn people about it, sometimes I just lay a towel across it

haknslash
08-19-2022, 06:05 AM
How? I’ve never cut myself with the stuff.

rockymtnsurfer
08-19-2022, 07:33 AM
While I do appreciate it as a nice place to step down into the boat, I have had to warn people about it, sometimes I just lay a towel across it

That was my solution the other day......Do you think they can round the edges of the hard plastic it's mounted on. I really think Moomba should address the problem. I used more bandaids in one day yesterday then I have used in 4 years on the boat.....knock on wood!

rockymtnsurfer
08-19-2022, 07:39 AM
How? I’ve never cut myself with the stuff.
Hak, on the new Max, the gator step on the back engine lid and the observers seat have a hard plastic base under the gatorstep. My guess is that it makes it not flex and makes it a more stable and solid area to step on....which makes sense. The base though is about a 1/4" thick and has a very sharp edge. Clean right angle. If you step on its side, kneel on is, scootch over, etc it seems to want to cut you. We all were saying on the boat that even if that edge was a rounded edge, it would be way better. But with the ChillTech material and how close you would have toe use a grinder, and how much money I spent on the boat, I would never attempt it my self. I am going to try to reach out to my dealer and see what his thoughts are.

Holdmybeer
08-19-2022, 08:30 AM
Rocky....can you post a picture?
Thinking you might be able to use painters tape around the whole thing and use a hand rasp or file and do what you need without damage.

Could you add a clear film (clear bra for cars) overtop the edge? Not sure how close to the chilltech we are talking.

However, being new, I would involve the dealer also.

RUGER761
08-19-2022, 08:48 AM
Picture wise on their site, doesn't look much different than the pad on our Makai. Wonder what they did different as we've never had that happen.

HFarr
08-19-2022, 08:54 AM
I would like to see a few pictures too. I have the same step on my 21 Makai, but something must be a little different. Though it is hard and uncomfortable to sit on, nobody has ever cut themselves on it. I am wondering if the design actually changed or if its a matter of a batch from the supplier that didn't get trimmed properly.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

996scott
08-19-2022, 09:05 AM
i've never had a problem on my Craz. Post a picture, i'd love to see it as well.

rockymtnsurfer
08-19-2022, 09:56 AM
Tried my best

rockymtnsurfer
08-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Might have some repeats

larry_arizona
08-19-2022, 02:38 PM
Run a deburring tool on that.

But honestly SC needs to address that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
08-19-2022, 03:04 PM
Run a deburring tool on that.

But honestly SC needs to address that.

brand new boat, I'd expect skiers to fix it over the winter and use the towel trick rest of this year..
try to do it yourself and if you jack it up, it's likely on you.

Holdmybeer
08-19-2022, 04:20 PM
Tried my best

I would take thick poster board and tuck it under the sharp surface to protect everything.
Use a fine tooth half moon file and by hand see if you could round the edge. The chilltech is pulling away enough to make this work without damage.
The rounded edge should help the chilltech not get cut or tear also.

HFarr
08-19-2022, 05:42 PM
I agree with the poster board and file idea. It shouldn't take very much to get rid of that edge to make it not cut you.

haknslash
08-19-2022, 07:04 PM
Yea that needs to be addressed.

Recently I’ve noticed there is something that cuts my right thumb every time I use the boat it seems. I’m thinking it’s a burr on the throttle ball. I need to address it but forget every time I’m on the boat to look. ....until I get home and realize the same sliver cut lol.

rockymtnsurfer
08-19-2022, 08:30 PM
I think I like Larry's choice. I know I could fix this myself.....and was going to, but with it being not even 20hrs old, I would hate to mess anything up and be liable for it and then not be able to get it fixed. Towel for the next 4 week and then I ll take it in for the winter and see what they do. I really was hoping more people would have had the same problem, but I guess not. I hate spending over 100k and then have little twirks like this happen. At the end of the day...the boat is still sweet and I have enjoyed the upgrades and the 450 vs my old 400. The only other gripe I have is will they at some point ever made a engine divider board that will hold up to the upgraded bags!. Even Wakemakers bars didn't work...so I fabricated my own steel plates in my shope that are overkill, but work.

HFarr
08-19-2022, 08:40 PM
Yep. The dreaded engine panels!! Cheap

brad460
08-20-2022, 06:35 PM
We’ve never had any issues cutting ourselves, but I am not a fan of these walk thru areas because they make is uncomfortable to sit out back. I really dislike the one on the rear cushion inside the boat.

I prefer just cushion in the back.

dyrmz134
08-21-2022, 11:23 AM
Yep. The dreaded engine panels!! Cheap

Yeah I installed the WM braces and those got bent too. And my "rear" (carpet covered) panels are almost a "C" shape now. About to rig up some angle iron and call it a day.

HFarr
08-21-2022, 11:29 AM
I made my own side panel supports using c channel I bought from Lowes. Made them longer than what the wakemakers kit comes with. Except for the narrow back panel, I put 2 pieces on each section panel. And now of course my rear carpet panel is bent and popped out. Guess it will be next for me.

rockymtnsurfer
08-22-2022, 08:36 AM
I made my own side panel supports using c channel I bought from Lowes. Made them longer than what the wakemakers kit comes with. Except for the narrow back panel, I put 2 pieces on each section panel. And now of course my rear carpet panel is bent and popped out. Guess it will be next for me.

Blows me away that the most simple issues people have been facing with these boats for years do not get upgraded, but of course we now have 2 wireless chargers in the boat. This has been a issue since 18' with the max (I could be wrong on this) Do any of the engineers or designers own the boat? Maybe this has something to do with keeping the cost down, or a liabilty issue with adding more weight than they recommend, not sure. Laughing...not unhappy.....LOVE the upgraded boat

sandm
08-22-2022, 11:19 AM
Blows me away that the most simple issues people have been facing with these boats for years do not get upgraded,

been an issue for a LONG time. our '06 supra had crappy divider panels that we had to reinforce once we added 1100's in the lockers. it's not just skiers choice. 16 years later people are still having to "upgrade".
doubtful they will ever do anything with it.

does make you wonder where the thoughts come from. recent model boats I always wondered who dreamed up the great idea to put the cell phone place on top of the dash under the windshield. not smart AT ALL in the southwest.

larry_arizona
08-22-2022, 11:38 AM
My 2018SA dividers used to bow and pop out of tracks once in awhile with stock ballast. It’s not just moombas.

Mobius22
08-22-2022, 04:38 PM
This was addressed on the 2023s. New design is similar to Supra

HFarr
08-22-2022, 05:06 PM
This was addressed on the 2023s. New design is similar to SupraI gotta see that! Any pictures?

Dukabor
09-17-2022, 05:38 PM
Here is a pic from a buddies new Mojo