PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Makai rear bags

dyrmz134
08-15-2022, 10:35 AM
Got lucky to get some prototype rear bags for the Makai from WM.

The are basically the WM rear bags + an extension (all one piece) to go under the bench seat (halfway). Some rough math = ~600lb addition over the standard WM bags. Only downside was I had to move my tube to the front of the boat for storage.

Install was super easy. I'm considering running an extra vent off the top like many of you have done, but wanted to get an initial test before hand. I'm sure I'm still dealing with some air etc.

How far it fills up the bench storage when full

How it looks under corner seat when full

Bags full ( seemed a few inches lower than before).

Obligatory wave picture. Windy day. Small crew. Bags Full. No autowake, just 100/100/100 fill and tab 70%. Riding the wave: the push is improved and I've moved the speed from 10.4 with the old WM bags to 11.1 with these. I can ride a few feet farther back now. Still need to dial in the settings more.

Dukabor
08-15-2022, 12:33 PM
Looks good, I am assessing options (as I am sure many are) as I run a small crew in a makai as well…

To be clear, are you talking 600lb over the stock bags, or 600lb over the aftermarket bags?

dyrmz134
08-15-2022, 01:04 PM
Looks good, I am assessing options (as I am sure many are) as I run a small crew in a makai as well…

To be clear, are you talking 600lb over the stock bags, or 600lb over the aftermarket bags?

600 over the WM aftermarket bags. So I would say around 1200lbs over stock.

Holdmybeer
08-15-2022, 01:06 PM
So Enzo bags for a Makai.....sweet

HFarr
08-15-2022, 02:00 PM
That's impressive, but I am not so sure how I feel about losing the space in the hinged seat area. We keep a cooler there, anchor, bumpers, and jackets etc... I was hoping it would only go slightly past the smaller corner seat. But I understand that would be less weight if it were shorter.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

TXSurf4
08-15-2022, 02:04 PM
That's impressive, but I am not so sure how I feel about losing the space in the hinged seat area. We keep a cooler there, anchor, bumpers, and jackets etc... I was hoping it would only go slightly past the smaller corner seat. But I understand that would be less weight if it were shorter.

With your boat being on the water you would be better suited to use lead in that space IMO. You could fit 600# in the space you are talking about pretty easily.

Dukabor
08-15-2022, 02:22 PM
600 over the WM aftermarket bags. So I would say around 1200lbs over stock.

Damnnnnnnnnn Thats right about where I was thinking I needed to be…. Sweet

larry_arizona
08-15-2022, 02:28 PM
With your boat being on the water you would be better suited to use lead in that space IMO. You could fit 600# in the space you are talking about pretty easily.

I second this, lead or storage, pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyrmz134
08-15-2022, 02:34 PM

I agree. Unfortunately my tow rig is about maxed out and I travel to and from the water each time. So far the storage isn’t an issue, just had to relocate the tube.

Dukabor
08-15-2022, 02:57 PM
I agree. Unfortunately my tow rig is about maxed out and I travel to and from the water each time. So far the storage isn’t an issue, just had to relocate the tube.

This feels like my dilemma as well, lots of hard mountain passes to tow over with the lakes I enjoy here, every little bit helps the tow rig, but I imagine there are many circumstances where the storage could be an issue…

To the OP…. Any word on the prototype status? Something for next season or sooner?

dyrmz134
08-15-2022, 04:25 PM
This feels like my dilemma as well, lots of hard mountain passes to tow over with the lakes I enjoy here, every little bit helps the tow rig, but I imagine there are many circumstances where the storage could be an issue…

To the OP…. Any word on the prototype status? Something for next season or sooner?

I got the feeling (from the wording in emails) that it would be available this year.

Imo the makai is huge and has plenty of storage. I’ve got 8-10 life jackets , an anchor , rear shade , bumpers , ropes , front windscreen and a three person tube. And, I could put more if I needed it. So, I’m satisfied with using some of it for ballast.

Also, I use basically a portable, small refrigerator for a cooler that sits on my floor anyways, so that’s a factor.

Dukabor
08-16-2022, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info….

Spent a lot of time out on the lake yesterday going over storage and what I can ‘afford’ to live with/without…. I guess having a jeep for camping makes a guy understand maximizing space….

Dukabor
08-23-2022, 12:25 PM
FYI I was emailing WM and was told they are ‘hopeful’ the bags will be available this fall, but did not have a date firm in hand, I asked to be notified once available, they said they are not set up for that but would add to the website when they are ready….

dyrmz134
08-24-2022, 04:43 AM
FYI I was emailing WM and was told they are ‘hopeful’ the bags will be available this fall, but did not have a date firm in hand, I asked to be notified once available, they said they are not set up for that but would add to the website when they are ready….

10-4, good luck!

If you want to get some more ballast before the season is over, I'll sell you my "regular" WM bags at a deal. Let me know.

Dukabor
08-24-2022, 01:53 PM
10-4, good luck!

If you want to get some more ballast before the season is over, I'll sell you my "regular" WM bags at a deal. Let me know.

Ha…. I am trying very hard to become a buy it once and right guy….. you aren’t helping!

dyrmz134
08-24-2022, 01:55 PM
Ha…. I am trying very hard to become a buy it once and right guy….. you aren’t helping!

Haha understood. Pro’s and con’s with both.

FYI whether you get mine or wait , install is a breeze(minus a little stretching your arms to reach down into the bottom of the boat) and you can be up and running in 30 min or less.

Dukabor
08-24-2022, 01:58 PM
Looking forward to it, did you do anything, or did they recommend doing anything, with the sensors? Or was that done with the previous bag install already?

dyrmz134
08-24-2022, 01:59 PM
Looking forward to it, did you do anything, or did they recommend doing anything, with the sensors? Or was that done with the previous bag install already?

Wake makers doesn’t have much to say about it. But many on here have relocated theirs and swear by it.

I find that it is an issue, but if you use the switches to kick the pumps back on , I can override the sensors so I haven’t been motivated to move them.

Dukabor
08-24-2022, 02:03 PM
Thanks…. I do enjoy trying one thing at a time, the pump cycling keeps popping my panels, do I attacked that issue yesterday, preemptive strike for bigger bags I think

dyrmz134
08-24-2022, 02:04 PM
Thanks…. I do enjoy trying one thing at a time, the pump cycling keeps popping my panels, do I attacked that issue yesterday, preemptive strike for bigger bags I think

I did the wake maker supports and I’m still bending the panels. I’m going to use angle iron and reinforce all of them.

eder10986
08-25-2022, 08:08 AM

Sorry for the hijack but what did you find was tripping the switch?

Mine do that from time to time and I have not been able to figure it out.

Thanks!

Dukabor
08-25-2022, 11:00 AM
Hi there, not sure exactly your question….

My pumps shut off when the sensors trigger them, and usually the bags were not completely full, usually have to wait for the air to leak out or burp it manually), the panels popping I referred to is the engine divider panels popping inwards towards the engine….

eder10986
08-25-2022, 11:28 PM
Hi there, not sure exactly your question….

My pumps shut off when the sensors trigger them, and usually the bags were not completely full, usually have to wait for the air to leak out or burp it manually), the panels popping I referred to is the engine divider panels popping inwards towards the engine….

Ah. I misunderstood!

Every so often mine trip the breaker switch. I’ve been chasing an electrical gremlin for some time.

Getting closer though!

Thanks for the response.

Dukabor
11-25-2022, 10:14 PM
As I follow up, I was emailing Wakemakers today about the status of the new bags and was advised they are still in the Engineering-Development phase…. Not available yet, and no timeline available, but still in the works….

Dukabor
12-08-2022, 06:54 PM
Another update…. For those that may be interested…. January release is likely and the bags are currently rating at 1723lb each… if I recall correct the stock bags are 1000lb… so potentially 1400 more lbs ballast….

HFarr
12-09-2022, 09:26 AM
Yes stock are 1,000 lb. For one rear corner bag.

dyrmz134
12-09-2022, 11:21 AM
Another update…. For those that may be interested…. January release is likely and the bags are currently rating at 1723lb each… if I recall correct the stock bags are 1000lb… so potentially 1400 more lbs ballast….

Very cool! I hope to continue to dial in my setup next year. Trying to balance out messing with it vs just having fun on the water.

dyrmz134
01-03-2023, 04:42 PM
Question for you guys/gals:

I still need to vent these bags and WM recommend a dedicated vent with a new thru-hull port- AKA cut a hole in the side of the boat.

They claim that this helps know what part of the bag is full. I'm not sure I totally understand this but it does make sense to have it dedicated. Any thoughts?

Hayden
01-03-2023, 08:25 PM

I still need to vent these bags and WM recommend a dedicated vent with a new thru-hull port- AKA cut a hole in the side of the boat.

They claim that this helps know what part of the bag is full. I'm not sure I totally understand this but it does make sense to have it dedicated. Any thoughts?

I will let the Makai owners speak to it directly because I don't know the specifics of the WM upgrade you bought but I'd bet you could tie into the existing vent lines and save drilling holes pretty easily.

As well, something to think about, if you are adding a considerable amount of weight over stock with this upgrade, say, +750-1000 lbs, or you have more than 5-6 large adults on the boat or any combination of the two, a propeller with a pitch of 16.5 may not be enough to get you upto the standard speed/pitch values that most on here would say makes a good wave with enough push for adults.

dyrmz134
01-04-2023, 08:49 AM
I will let the Makai owners speak to it directly because I don't know the specifics of the WM upgrade you bought but I'd bet you could tie into the existing vent lines and save drilling holes pretty easily.

As well, something to think about, if you are adding a considerable amount of weight over stock with this upgrade, say, +750-1000 lbs, or you have more than 5-6 large adults on the boat or any combination of the two, a propeller with a pitch of 16.5 may not be enough to get you upto the standard speed/pitch values that most on here would say makes a good wave with enough push for adults.

Do you mean from a speed perspective? The 16.5 seems to get me to about 13mph max speed with full throttle and full ballast and a medium size crew. I’m usually surfing around 11 - 11.5 depending on the weight of the rider. I was thinking about trying a 15 this summer through.

Dukabor
01-04-2023, 05:47 PM

Interesting, I know in conversations with WM they had a stated internal goal of making these plug and play without any changes to sensor locations and vent lines…. Not that us tweakers wouldn’t play around with them at all

Re: the comments about the prop, at least in my circumstance, my crew always runs very small - 4-5 tops, and the bag upgrade was to replace the crew size with adjustable weight to maximize…. I know if they actually came into production I would likely crank them 100 percent full and see what kind of wake I could create, but hopefully my brain would kick in and use the ‘available weight’ to dial it in

Hayden
01-04-2023, 05:51 PM
All of the following is very subjective and if you've got something that works for you and your family/crew then I'd stick with it.

With that said, I did full ballast upgrades on both of my boats, adding easily +1800 lbs over stock on my 2005LSV and +2500 lbs over stock on my 2021 Mojo. I had to do prop upgrades in both cases to hit, (this is the subjective part), a speed of 10.5-11.5mph and a pitch of 9.5-10 degrees. I've personally had the best results, especially for large adults, with 11mph/10 degree pitch.

With my 2021 Mojo and the standard OJ surf prop 15.5x15 it could not get past 9mph once you're on there with +4 adults and the extra ballast I have added. One other quick point is that I'm losing around 9% power being at medium altititude lake, so there's that as well - the elevation of your lake.

I'm really just trying to relay the experience I had when I upgraded my ballast. Whether you need to do anything will depend on all of the points discussed above in my opinion.

dyrmz134
01-06-2023, 06:52 AM
All of the following is very subjective and if you've got something that works for you and your family/crew then I'd stick with it.

With that said, I did full ballast upgrades on both of my boats, adding easily +1800 lbs over stock on my 2005LSV and +2500 lbs over stock on my 2021 Mojo. I had to do prop upgrades in both cases to hit, (this is the subjective part), a speed of 10.5-11.5mph and a pitch of 9.5-10 degrees. I've personally had the best results, especially for large adults, with 11mph/10 degree pitch.

With my 2021 Mojo and the standard OJ surf prop 15.5x15 it could not get past 9mph once you're on there with +4 adults and the extra ballast I have added. One other quick point is that I'm losing around 9% power being at medium altititude lake, so there's that as well - the elevation of your lake.

I'm really just trying to relay the experience I had when I upgraded my ballast. Whether you need to do anything will depend on all of the points discussed above in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback! Can't hurt to try out something different- other than my wallet ha!

dyrmz134
01-06-2023, 06:53 AM
Interesting, I know in conversations with WM they had a stated internal goal of making these plug and play without any changes to sensor locations and vent lines…. Not that us tweakers wouldn’t play around with them at all

Re: the comments about the prop, at least in my circumstance, my crew always runs very small - 4-5 tops, and the bag upgrade was to replace the crew size with adjustable weight to maximize…. I know if they actually came into production I would likely crank them 100 percent full and see what kind of wake I could create, but hopefully my brain would kick in and use the ‘available weight’ to dial it in

They definitely are plug-and-play. It's just an issue (like the stock bags) of getting the air out of them. WM , and my dealership swear the sensors don't need to be moved, but several on here and some common sense would say otherwise. It doesn't seem to hard to move them, so I probably will.

benny32
01-11-2023, 06:02 PM
I don't know why they would say you don't have to move the sensor but in my experience with their bags in my Makai I had to. I didn't initially and it got no where close to full and I would have manually flip switches off and on until it filled. Moved sensor, no more flipping switches.

Dukabor
01-12-2023, 10:06 AM
I don't know why they would say you don't have to move the sensor but in my experience with their bags in my Makai I had to. I didn't initially and it got no where close to full and I would have manually flip switches off and on until it filled. Moved sensor, no more flipping switches.

I think the ‘no need move the sensor’ is from conversations with SC and WM, I am sure the all know we as owners will probably do that, but you can see ho w a boat manufacturer and aftermarket equipment maker would want that to be the official line for a few reasons… less people jumping in and modding boats on warranty that may have other impacts, say you move then sensors and something screws up (whatever it may be) and SC may have to be in a position to deny a warranty claim…. WM for certain wants to maintain a great relationship with manufacturers, to be able to develop products quickly from prototypes and working hand in hand…. They just dont want to step on SC (or any other manufacturers tes)….

I have no doubt the actual product developers and techs at WM, would ‘off the record’ state, you gotta raise your sensors, or create another hole through the hull… but the official line should be plug and play…

Think about it with things like aftermarket lift kits for trucks and the concerns everyone has with warranties there, a manufacturer should not have to take responsibility for an aftermarket product and how it was installed…. So this is how the cover their butts

I believe moving the sensor is the right thing to do, for all of the reasons you stated, and if/when these bags become available and I install I will do exactly that, and maybe beef up my engine panels a little bit more as well lol

HFarr
01-12-2023, 10:50 AM
Oh there is no doubt you will need to beef up, stiffen, the engine panels!

Dukabor
01-12-2023, 12:59 PM
Oh there is no doubt you will need to beef up, stiffen, the engine panels!

Oh yes, I already have two angle iron supports on the center panels, but still had a pop or two with the stock bags, but that may have been because of the other panels… going to add angle iron to each of those, as well as adding a few more clips at the top…. I believe that will be the new weak point and I dont want the glass to crack, so I will add some more to share the load…. Overkill, sure, but I just think of it as added weight=even better wake ha ha

Dukabor
01-26-2023, 12:31 PM
Fired off an email to WM this morning to see if there was a status update….

Dukabor
01-30-2023, 05:09 PM
Update this morning from WM…. Still no word on release dates, still in the production/development stage

Dukabor
04-26-2023, 05:50 PM
UPDATE!!!

Received an email from WakeMakers that these super size Makai bags are now available for ordering as of today…. B0651 and B0652 are the part numbers….

I did not ask for any of the other details nor specs as I went with the standard oversized bags and lead…. But who know what will happen in the future!

If anyone takes the plunge would love to hear all about it !!

HFarr
04-26-2023, 07:31 PM
Dont see them on the website yet

Dukabor
04-26-2023, 08:06 PM
They said they would be on there as of today…..

I checked the link they sent me and it heads to the dealer login screen…. Not sure if that means they are just available through their dealers at this point?

cucv
04-27-2023, 10:26 AM
Any idea of cost? 1400lbs is a nice upgrade.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

dyrmz134
04-30-2023, 09:47 AM
Thought I'd show a little wave video with the new bags.

My 14 year old (~145lbs) on the board for the first time this year. Wave had great push for him at 11.1mph, I rode it at 10.8 and also great push.

Water depth between 35-100 ft. Water temp 77 :)

3 adults (one driving, two the wake side, no one in bow) + 1 6yr old (~550lbs total) in the boat. Bags full. No autowake.

https://youtube.com/shorts/S9svAGadYyk?feature=share

HFarr
04-30-2023, 10:25 AM
Looks good!

Hayden
04-30-2023, 01:54 PM
The dream; to be in the water in by April. Nice wave!

dyrmz134
04-30-2023, 08:57 PM
The dream; to be in the water in by April. Nice wave!

Just barely! Air temp was 73, water 77. This lake is warmed via a power plant ( waiting on my tail to grow) so that always helps.

Dukabor
05-02-2023, 05:16 PM
Looks great!!