PDA

View Full Version : Indmar - Oil Change Intervals on 2022

jcredible
08-10-2022, 01:37 PM
Hey all, 22 SA is new to me and I received the 20 hour service a few weeks back.

I have put an additional 25 hours on it and yesterday it popped up on the screen stating I require another oil change after 25 hours.

I read the Indmar manual and it states on "Severe Conditions" which is operating on a small lake where you don't get >4000 RPMs often for greater than 15 minutes.

Couple questions:

1) Is it normal for the 25 hour service to pop up automatically?

2) Or does the computer actually do some analysis against your use of the boat, monitoring of RPMs, etc?

Thanks!

Justin

larry_arizona
08-10-2022, 02:16 PM
My 21 did the same, perhaps your dealer didn’t reset the interval counter.

Mine says I need oil change, trans and V drive.

All were done at 21 hours and I have 72 hours total on boat.

51 hours is not enough for oil, trans and V drive.

Interesting that Indmar doesn’t like slow boating, but we surf every time out for enough time and load to clear out any moisture in the oil etc, but never see over 4000 rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
08-10-2022, 05:43 PM
I'm sure if they hook up a PC to read the computer it stores the specifics. When I had a leaking heater and loss coolant, the dealer could tell me exactly how hot the motor ran during that period when I threw that error code.

HFarr
08-10-2022, 05:53 PM
So is this indmar message system specific to supra only? I have a 2021 Moomba, with an Indmar motor of course, and was not able to get a 20 hour service due to the "pandemic". As a matter of fact I hit 120 hours before I could get worked in for my first service. Never had one lick of trouble with anything, and also never had any messages pop up for service.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
08-10-2022, 08:00 PM
Supras have a handful of maintenance counters for fluids and ballast impellers.

SONIC
08-11-2022, 08:17 AM
So is this indmar message system specific to supra only? I have a 2021 Moomba, with an Indmar motor of course, and was not able to get a 20 hour service due to the "pandemic". As a matter of fact I hit 120 hours before I could get worked in for my first service. Never had one lick of trouble with anything, and also never had any messages pop up for service.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

120 hours on break-in oil? Uy, I'd delete that post if it were me so a future buyer doesn't find it ;)

Dunno about the Makai but my SA has the same reminders at seemingly random intervals.
I ignore them and use the book numbers.

jcredible
08-11-2022, 11:04 AM
Cool, that is kinda my thoughts on it pops up for everyone every 25 hours...vs it detecting RPMs and doing anything intelligent.

Thanks!

larry_arizona
08-11-2022, 11:51 AM
I follow the book too, which turns out to be 1 year for engine, trans and V drive oils, impeller and every 2 years for coolant.

Haven’t had to change ballast pump impellers yet.

vdubnick
11-04-2022, 12:37 PM
I follow the book too, which turns out to be 1 year for engine, trans and V drive oils, impeller and every 2 years for coolant.

Haven’t had to change ballast pump impellers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOil is 10-20hr, then every 75 for regular use. Or 25 for severe.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221104/0524134cf7eee74cfc07e73375c402ce.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221104/bc2b5cca5d1b6cd703be0148963d7b8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

vdubnick
11-04-2022, 12:41 PM
Weird that the manual contradicts itself. One area says 10, other says 20, then in the chart it doesnt mark the annually box. [emoji1745]

I guess for the money, ite better to waste money changing the oil early, than to pay for it later.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

vdubnick
11-04-2022, 12:47 PM
Also, manual specifically states required use of API-SN ... but for those that dont know, API-SP supersedes SN and is backwards compatible.

https://news.kixxoil.com/your-comprehensive-guide-to-api-sp/

MJHSupra
11-07-2022, 10:46 AM
Also, manual specifically states required use of API-SN ... but for those that dont know, API-SP supersedes SN and is backwards compatible.

https://news.kixxoil.com/your-comprehensive-guide-to-api-sp/

What brand of oil are you using for API-SP? And how much does that cost per quart?

Charts and boxes aside, dealers are telling people to get their boats in for that 20-hour service - where they change the oil among other things.
Then you go back to your routine based on how you use the boat. Even back in my I/O days and a low hour season, I still changed the oil 1x per year. I've had people tell me that 50 is the norm for surf boats - so if that makes them happy and sleep better at night - my response was go for it.

I think it's more important to check your levels during that first 100 hours to make sure you are not running low. Don't really hear this on the Raptors, but I know back on the GM motors and the bigger 496 motor it liked to burn a little oil. Also, when changing oil, not to overfill or underfill the levels.

vdubnick
11-07-2022, 10:56 AM
What brand of oil are you using for API-SP? And how much does that cost per quart?

Charts and boxes aside, dealers are telling people to get their boats in for that 20-hour service - where they change the oil among other things.
Then you go back to your routine based on how you use the boat. Even back in my I/O days and a low hour season, I still changed the oil 1x per year. I've had people tell me that 50 is the norm for surf boats - so if that makes them happy and sleep better at night - my response was go for it.

I think it's more important to check your levels during that first 100 hours to make sure you are not running low. Don't really hear this on the Raptors, but I know back on the GM motors and the bigger 496 motor it liked to burn a little oil. Also, when changing oil, not to overfill or underfill the levels.

i went with penzoil full synthetic 5w-30, its actually one of the lowest cost at walmart (only 24 for a 5 quart jug) I have always preferred mobil, but penzoil makes good stuff. infact, their platinum full syn (from nat gas) performs better than mobil.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Full-Synthetic-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/707572996?fulfillmentIntent=In-store

MANN oil filters, they are only about 9 bucks each, MAN-HU7198X, its the same as what the newer volvo 2.5 turbos use, same cartridge as the VW 2.5 (MAN-HU7196X) as well (gasket is different tho).

and yeah, regardless of how much you use the boat, the annual change is just a good habbit as it gives you time to look other things over. I havent seen anyone analyze their oil like i do in the car scene, but if you really wanted to know if it needs changes, send a sample to blackstone labs. but if you are doing the change yourself, the cost doesnt make sense. 40 bucks for me to change the oil, im sure the dealer will charge a couple hundred more to change it and pull some water plugs

MJHSupra
11-07-2022, 02:43 PM
I know a little while back that someone on social media posted about sending the boat oil to Blackstone Labs at the oil change interval. Their test came back normal

Yea, with the remote filters and drain hoses it's really easy for anyone to change oil and avoid that dealer up-charge.

Tommy2slow
11-07-2022, 09:54 PM
I think any Caterpillar equipment dealer will be able to lab test your fluids. Purchase a sample bottle for each fluid you want tested. The lab will check the condition of the fluid, including the condition of the additives along with presence of contaminants such as dirt, metal, fuel, water , etc. This is a great way to see if you need to change the oil as often as SC recommends. It might also come in handy if you are ever in a warranty dispute and they are claiming you ran your oil too long and it failed.

MJHSupra
11-07-2022, 10:22 PM
I think any Caterpillar equipment dealer will be able to lab test your fluids. Purchase a sample bottle for each fluid you want tested. The lab will check the condition of the fluid, including the condition of the additives along with presence of contaminants such as dirt, metal, fuel, water , etc. This is a great way to see if you need to change the oil as often as SC recommends. It might also come in handy if you are ever in a warranty dispute and they are claiming you ran your oil too long and it failed.

Ahh, that is where I read about sending oil off to the lab - it was a warranty issue on a bad motor.