PDA

View Full Version : Help on using Hula gnarly #9 water spot remover.

larry_arizona
07-31-2022, 11:46 AM
I have used several boat specific water spot/detailers.

Used up the last of hot sauce which was wipe on wipe off easy, and decided to try hula gnarly #9.

Gnarly is giving me fits and is not wipe on wipe off easy.

I mist a 2’x2’ section and let it sit for 30 seconds and wipe off, then chase with a separate clean microfiber and it streaks badly, is tacky/sticky and then really difficult to buff to a slick shine.

What am I doing wrong?

Is gnarly intended for a wet boat wipe down?

I called hula and they said I was using way too much. I backed way off and still a mess to use.

My gut says I am using it incorrectly and this is not the same type of product as hot sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFarr
07-31-2022, 12:10 PM
I'm sure you have watched their video, but it sounds simple. It does say make sure not to let it dry, because it will leave a residue. Hard to beat the Hot Sauce though.....

https://youtu.be/Z2oYBv0FNiE

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
07-31-2022, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the video, I am using way less than they use, it’s that dry tacky residue I am fighting.

I went back to carpro Ech20 detailer with 25% white vinegar and works so much better.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220731/8dc289be319878376eaa079710c0c650.jpg

Dilute Ech2o 10:1 with distilled water. Makes over 4 gallons of waterless wash. Then I add 25% white vinegar to a spray bottle, 75% waterless wash. Easy wipe on wipe off. Nets 5 gallons with added vinegar for about $32

I guess #9 isn’t for me.

Mxmark4
07-31-2022, 04:24 PM
So you are using the ech as your water spot preventer when you pull out of the water? How well does it work? Im looking for a hot sauce alternative. Do you spray it down with boat wet ?

larry_arizona
07-31-2022, 04:43 PM
Ech2o is a detailer/waterless wash with ceramic in it.

I never wipe my boat down coming out of the lake. I wipe it down in my barn the next day, using ech2o + vinegar to lubricate surface a d dissolve water spots.

The modified echo works as good or better than hot sauce at a fraction of the cost.

Next lake day, I may try to use the mix at the launch.

Mxmark4
07-31-2022, 05:41 PM
Ech2o is a detailer/waterless wash with ceramic in it.

I never wipe my boat down coming out of the lake. I wipe it down in my barn the next day, using ech2o + vinegar to lubricate surface a d dissolve water spots.

The modified echo works as good or better than hot sauce at a fraction of the cost.

Next lake day, I may try to use the mix at the launch.

Let me know how it goes. I always sprayed hot sauce on mine after I pulled it out of the water and it was part of my wipedown. Now you are making me doubt if I ever did any of it right. Post up the results if you try it wet!

Holdmybeer
07-31-2022, 09:13 PM
The benefits of hot sauce is it doesn't attack the wax and ceramic spray that is on my boat.

Larry if the EchO2 and vinegar mix is the same and doesn't affect my coatings (not true ceramic) then I am in.
Just got back from a lake day and found out my hot sauce bottles were empty.

WildH
07-31-2022, 10:21 PM
Keep updates on this. I use hot sauce at the end of every weekend at the lake, but it's not nearly as cheap as your solution.

Work on windows?

larry_arizona
08-01-2022, 07:52 AM
Tried it last night after pulling it out of lake

Works great with boat wet as a wipe down, actually sheds water as soon as you spray it on.

Works great on glass also.

It has not effected my ceramic coating at all and because Ech20 has ceramic in it, it buffs to a slick gloss shine.

I have been using this combination for 5 years and honestly don’t know why I even tried hot sauce or gnarly, I guess curiosity mostly. I liked HS, disliked gnarly, but see no advantage.

HS and Ech20 with vinegar added both stink like vinegar……lol

I may try to use some descented vinegar in the future.

Mxmark4
08-01-2022, 07:59 AM
Thanks Larry! Gonna order some up today!

larry_arizona
08-01-2022, 08:27 AM
Honestly, any automotive waterless wash or quick detailer with some vinegar added will work great. Just need that acid to tackle the water spots.

Holdmybeer
08-01-2022, 10:40 AM
It was either buy HS or buy EchO2.

4-5 gallons for $32 or 32oz for $20.
Pretty easy decision...thanks

larry_arizona
08-01-2022, 11:52 AM
It was either buy HS or buy EchO2.

4-5 gallons for $32 or 32oz for $20.
Pretty easy decision...thanks

Add cost of distilled water and white vinegar too…….lol

I could probably reduce vinegar amount to 10-15%, but it works great at 25%.

I throw on some nitrile gloves because it stinks, but did the same with HS.

Holdmybeer
08-01-2022, 01:21 PM
Add cost of distilled water and white vinegar too…….lol

I could probably reduce vinegar amount to 10-15%, but it works great at 25%.

I throw on some nitrile gloves because it stinks, but did the same with HS.

$45 for 4 gallons....that math still makes sense over HS.

RUGER761
08-09-2022, 04:24 PM
Interesting it was giving you issues although I haven't used Hula water spot remover in a long time. I swapped to their detail spray #11 , it works very well, wet or dry, but I also don't have a ceramic coated boat either just waxed using Hula's wax and sealer.

Mxmark4
08-09-2022, 06:22 PM
Mine arrived in 2 days and is currently awaiting a spray bottle to put it in. I am excited to try this out and see how it does!

Mxmark4
08-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Been using Ech to spot clean boat and it seems to work well. Used it today as wet wipedown after pulling it out of the lake and I feel like it better than hot sauce. Thanks to Larry for the recommendation!

larry_arizona
08-14-2022, 05:57 PM
Been using Ech to spot clean boat and it seems to work well. Used it today as wet wipedown after pulling it out of the lake and I feel like it better than hot sauce. Thanks to Larry for the recommendation!

Glad you like it, by the way, works great as a drying aid after washing your car, obviously can skip the vinegar on cars…….unless you have acid rain spots.

jcarter20
08-14-2022, 06:10 PM
I have been using “Spotless” for the last 5 summers as that is what the dealer recommend. It works pretty well, but I was just at the lake for 6 days and have a major issue with water spots that won’t come off completely. I have never had this happen, but I have some at the water line that I had to use Maguires cleaner wax to remove. You could actually feel the surface was rough. Even after waxing I can still feel the surface is not completely smooth. I wax my boat at the beginning of every season with Collinite Insulator wax (also recommended by my dealer), use Spotless each time I take it out, and quick wax with Mother’s Marine about every 4-5 times out. Any other ideas of what I can use to buff the surface? I was at this same lake 3 weeks ago and did not have this problem. I am kind of baffled.

larry_arizona
08-14-2022, 08:09 PM
I have been using “Spotless” for the last 5 summers as that is what the dealer recommend. It works pretty well, but I was just at the lake for 6 days and have a major issue with water spots that won’t come off completely. I have never had this happen, but I have some at the water line that I had to use Maguires cleaner wax to remove. You could actually feel the surface was rough. Even after waxing I can still feel the surface is not completely smooth. I wax my boat at the beginning of every season with Collinite Insulator wax (also recommended by my dealer), use Spotless each time I take it out, and quick wax with Mother’s Marine about every 4-5 times out. Any other ideas of what I can use to buff the surface? I was at this same lake 3 weeks ago and did not have this problem. I am kind of baffled.

Did you try 50-50 distilled water and white vinegar?

jcarter20
08-14-2022, 08:21 PM
Did you try 50-50 distilled water and white vinegar?

Not yet. That is all I used to use with my old boat, but liked the fact that spotless didn’t stink. I will give that a shot.

Mxmark4
08-15-2022, 06:19 AM
I was gonna suggest same thing vinegar bath followed by a good wash and a rewax .

Holdmybeer
08-15-2022, 08:59 AM
My wife refilled my Hot Sauce before I could buy something else. However I used Chemical Guys SiO2 ceramic wash (not Mr.Pink) and it worked very well on top of the ceramic spray I already have.

The HC hasn't hurt anything that was out on last year which I like. 50/50 vinegar I would be reapplying wax/ceramic/etc. each time.

Larry's stuff is next on my list.