PDA

View Full Version : Excessive air in '06 LSV Gravity III ballast

surfocean
05-14-2007, 07:54 PM
It seems that every time I fill my ballasts, I get lots of air in them. I check before we fill and they are completely empty with very little air. After they are about half full, they have lots of air in them, and I have to disconnect the hoses to let the air out. Its definately worse in the bow tank, but its also happening in the rear tanks. I always prime the pumps up on plane. I have no idea why this is happening, but it happens every time.

qb12
05-15-2007, 08:29 AM
have you tried to burp the bags.

in saying so, as you are feeling them up (slowly) losen the vent cap on the ballast bag and you can hear the air come out.

all 3 of mine now drain flat as a pancake.

surfocean
05-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Im not exactly sure wht you mean. My ballast sacs have 2 caps with quick releases on each. One is the fill line and one the drain line. Am I missing something here?

qb12
05-15-2007, 07:41 PM
surf,

you should have on one end both of your quick connects and on the other end you should have a plug, (if your bags are factory)

the plug on the other end should be on top and this allows you to be able to bleed the air out of the bag.

after you get it done correct and you don't disconnect the quick release air should not be much of a problem

what lbs bags do you have and that might give me a clue.

i have had the factory 250lbs, (upgraded 750's) and now the 400's in the back along with the original front bag and all them have 3 fittings.

db

surfocean
05-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Ill have to check it out. How do you get to the third cap in the front ballast...that one must get tucked in there pretty snug when the ballasts are full or filling.

I called Rob of Watersports of Orlando today, and he said that the valves in the system can hold water, but that air seeps through them while trailering. I tow my boat about 25 miles each way and he says that the ballast intake on the bottom of the boat scoops in air, and the ram air pressure can get past the valves. He said the solution is to close the main valve (under the rear seat in the Mobius LSV) when trailering and that should take care of the problem. I'm gonna gice that a shot this weekend, and Ill look for the drain valves on my ballast.

Im upgrading one of my rear ballasts to a 750 bag this week as well. I hear it makes a huge diffference for the wakesurf.

qb12
05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
surf, i just sold my 750's because they didn't fill near all the way so i would guess somewhere in the neighbhood of 500 lbs due to room.

i like the 400's much better. what i did is went with 400 lbs of pop-products (that's their website). 10 (40lbs) bags that you can move where you need them. trust me my surf wake is much better than before.

again, there should be no secret opening. if you remove the bags, you should have one end, towards the transom that have a upper and lower quick disconnect fitting. on the opposite end of the bag you should have another one of the same size with a plug in it.

db

cab13367
05-22-2007, 11:28 PM
qb12,

Sorry to change the subject, but could you tell me more about why the 750 lb bags did not fill up. Is it because they are too big for the space you put them in, or does the stock pump not have the horsepower to fill them? What boat do you have? I have an 06 LSV and am thinking about getting the 750's.

Thanks,

Al

qb12
05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
cab, your lsv might have enough room. my 05 supra ssv 22 there was just not enough room to fill all the way up thus putting pressure on the side walls.

what bag are you running in the front. that could make a huge difference in your wake.

cab13367
05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
qb12,

Thanks for the reply. I've measured for the 750# bags and they will fit in my rear storage areas.

I am running the stock front bag - 400#. I don't think any bigger bag would fit. Maybe length-wise but not girth wise. When the front bag is filled, it pushes the locker door up.

Did you already sell your 750's? I'm looking for a deal on them.

Thanks,

Al

qb12
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
cab, i sold them and they went fast.