PDA

View Full Version : $650 for 20hr warranty check?

vdubnick
06-14-2022, 01:13 PM
do all moomba dealers charge 650 for the "mandatory 20hr check" ? seems like a rebate scheme, where they count on people missing it or not wanting to pay as a means to get out of warranty coverage.

RUGER761
06-14-2022, 01:45 PM
That's about what I paid for it. With the allowance from Indmar, which saved me a ton of driving, I did my own winterization this last fall and had probably $180-200 in just oil and filters not including any labor. Synthetic oil adds up fast. So $650 isn't great but if they are checking everything they are suppose to be doing at roughly $150/hr labor it kind of make sense.

sandm
06-14-2022, 01:45 PM
seems a tad high but if you are in the boise area, that's par for the course with tyrell. good shop but spensive for work.

I would think magnuson moss act would keep skiers from denying warranty work as long as you have proof of work done and at 20hrs. oil change and shaft alignment are the 2 biggies. keep in mind that not having dealer do work will likely net you last in line when something does come up tho.

we owned 2 new boats, 1 from prestige and 1 from heinens and we never did 20hr work. your boat tho.....

brad460
06-14-2022, 02:28 PM
$650 to have some teenager climb around in your boat with dirty shoes and greasy hands trying to locate the oil filter....no thanks. No such thing as “mandatory service”…that statement is a scam.

Anyway, I am half joking. I just don’t like anyone working on my boat (unless no choice with a warranty situation).

I realize not everyone is mechanical enough to do simple service work. Charging $650 to do that is unethical.

996scott
06-14-2022, 02:49 PM
ours was "thrown in" when we bought the boat. I'm sure we paid for it somehow :)

vdubnick
06-14-2022, 02:50 PM
seems a tad high but if you are in the boise area, that's par for the course with tyrell. good shop but spensive for work.

I would think magnuson moss act would keep skiers from denying warranty work as long as you have proof of work done and at 20hrs. oil change and shaft alignment are the 2 biggies. keep in mind that not having dealer do work will likely net you last in line when something does come up tho.

we owned 2 new boats, 1 from prestige and 1 from heinens and we never did 20hr work. your boat tho.....

yeah, i dealt a bit with MM act when i did car audio installs for 7 years. dealers always look for excuse not to cover it. I hate to pay for stuff im capable of doing, but i would also kick myself if something happened and wasnt covered on a brand new boat.

$650 to have some teenager climb around in your boat with dirty shoes and greasy hands trying to locate the oil filter....no thanks. No such thing as “mandatory service”…that statement is a scam.

Anyway, I am half joking. I just don’t like anyone working on my boat (unless no choice with a warranty situation).

I realize not everyone is mechanical enough to do simple service work. Charging $650 to do that is unethical.

totally agree, i plan on doing all other maintenance, i was told this was just some sort of break-in check, so i assumed it is what it is.

vdubnick
06-14-2022, 02:51 PM
ours was "thrown in" when we bought the boat. I'm sure we paid for it somehow :)

im sure you did... im sure i did too hahaha, $4500 dealer charge seemed excessive.

Bigs28
06-14-2022, 03:27 PM
My 100 hour service was $1100 but i paid the remote fee to have them come to my house and do it. Saved me 4 hours of driving and all day sitting at a dealer.

rhouse181
06-14-2022, 05:37 PM
I think it's worth having the dealer do the 20 hr service even if you have to fork over a chunk of gas money.

They do all the shaft / motor alignment checks after the initial break in hours which I'm sure will be looked upon favorably if any warranty claims arise in the future.

HFarr
06-14-2022, 07:40 PM
I paid $415.00

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Buckeye
06-14-2022, 08:34 PM
I think paid around $500 - $600. It's disappointing to have to right that check so soon after purchasing the boat

larry_arizona
06-14-2022, 10:31 PM
Nobody gets 20 hour service free, some bury it in the prep fee, Some offer it in negotiations as a covered bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk