PDA

View Full Version : Squeal sound

haknslash
06-06-2022, 08:47 PM
My Max has just over 102 hours. Yesterday while out on the boat I noticed a squeal sound while coming off plane ultimately to idle in forward gear while checking out a cove. Once the boat reached idle speed it began making a squeal or squeak sound. Kind of sounded like a car with a slipping wet belt, except when I checked the bilge it was dry. Next I tried to isolate was it coming from the engine, transmission or vdrive. I used the button on the throttle to rev only the engine while not in gear and there was no squeal sound and all seemed perfect. Then I put the boat in forward gear at idle speed and the squeal started again. I opened the drive access door to try and find the source of the squeal and it's hard to tell if it was the drive making the noise or the transmission. It did not seem to affect the boat performance at all and the sound would go away as soon as I would go just last idle speed or RPM.

Throughout the day I would slow down to idle and try to listen for the sound to see if it was repeating and it didn't for most of the day except for one or two other times. Boat felt fine so I'm hoping this is nothing serious. Planning to take it to the dealer this week and have them look at it. I just had the drive fluids and oil changed at the dealer, so this was my first time using the boat since service. Hoping this is something simple for them to isolate and fix.

Just curious if others may know of some possible sources for this sound. Thanks for any insight or help!

HFarr
06-06-2022, 08:53 PM
Possibly a shaft seal?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

haknslash
06-06-2022, 09:07 PM
Are there any signs I can look for with a bad shaft seal? Wouldn’t that mean water would be getting in too? Bilge and vdrive area were bone dry and no signs of water spraying around. Idk, I’m still new to these boats coming from jet.

schwan
06-06-2022, 09:29 PM
I just commented on your Facebook post saying I still think it could be humidity and a squealing belt. But when my shaft seal started squealing it wasn’t leaking. My squeal started to always stay around idle. I carefully put my hand down there while someone else drove and moved the seal a little bit and I could tell that’s where the sound came from.

Also my serp belt will also squeal from time to time. I just put some belt conditioner on it and it lasts a few months. It’s not from water in the bilge, it’s just the bilge it really humid.

Holdmybeer
06-06-2022, 09:47 PM
Quick test that won't hurt anything.
On the shaft seal take marine grease (thick) and rub a thin coat on the seal itself.
You could use spray silicone also and let it "harden" then run it again. The rubber can dry out on the interior side and squeak. After it burns up and the squeak goes away it will begin to drip. Water acts as the lube now that it is leaking and the squeak goes away.

HFarr
06-06-2022, 10:16 PM
Yep to both the seal comments. That's my bet. The belt is also a possibility too. Easy to rub belt dressing on it too while it's running. I have seen people use a big preschooler crayon too. Lightly touch the belt with it. Need to be careful though! If it is squealing, that will stop it or change the pitch quickly.

haknslash
06-07-2022, 05:59 PM
Dropping the boat off tomorrow morning. Based off the replies on my FB post it seems this might be a shaft seal issue. A guy posted a video and the sound is very similar to what I heard. They posted the shaft seal SC uses is not the highest quality and they recommended I go with a Glide shaft seal or other higher quality than what the boat came with. I will hopefully know more this week and will let y’all know the updates.

HFarr
06-07-2022, 06:01 PM
Hope it's good news and an easy fix

jnr4817
06-07-2022, 06:36 PM
My shaft seal has developed a very slow drip. At the end of a full day of boating maybe 1-2 cups of water is present in bilge. I'd hate to take it in the dealer now and really not sure i could replace myself. The boat still has warranty left. Can I chance it and wait to end of summer or is this something I must fix now?

Holdmybeer
06-07-2022, 08:54 PM
Shaft seal is an easy fix IF you have the puller for the coupler.
Mine was leaking all last season. Between the shaft seal and the rudder O-Ring I would get 5ish gallons after a 7hr day.
Changed the rudder o-ring before Norris since the boat would be in the water for 6 days. Still got some water but never enough for the bilge to function.
Changed the seal 2 weeks ago from the SEF version to the Glide setup. Completely dry now. I can see where the SEF seal was rubbing on the bottom and it became oval and leaked.

1-2 cups is nothing to worry about. You can wait until the end of the season. If you still have warranty, you might want to schedule the fix and keep using until the dealer has time to get it fixed.

Holdmybeer
06-07-2022, 09:01 PM
Dropping the boat off tomorrow morning. Based off the replies on my FB post it seems this might be a shaft seal issue. A guy posted a video and the sound is very similar to what I heard. They posted the shaft seal SC uses is not the highest quality and they recommended I go with a Glide shaft seal or other higher quality than what the boat came with. I will hopefully know more this week and will let y’all know the updates.

Seal if fully rebuildable but you have warranty so why bother.

The pictures are a 570hr seal. It was 1-2 drips a sec while powered but nothing while idling or anchored.30398

haknslash
06-16-2022, 06:52 PM
I heard back from the dealer today and they said the sounds were normal sounds they’ve heard from other boats and didn’t see any issues. To me the sounds should not be doing it but maybe these are normal sounds that come and go as a boat goes through it’s hours. It ran perfectly fine last time out so perhaps it is what it is and just some random sound that will come and go, eventually going for good one day. I’ll be sure to record a video next time out if it does it again and get more input from everyone.

HFarr
06-16-2022, 06:59 PM
So did the dealer hear the same sound?

haknslash
06-16-2022, 07:10 PM
Apparently so. He said it can be a harmonic sound from the shaft or prop spinning. Idk this is my first vdrive.

Holdmybeer
06-16-2022, 10:04 PM
The shaft and prop make a sound when I run mine on the fake a lake in the driveway.
You wouldn't hear that noise in the lake unless you were the only one on the water but it still isn't a squeal. It is bearings and shaft rotation noise. Similar to a lathe spinning.
Try greasing the seal under the dog house and see if it improves.

haknslash
06-17-2022, 05:39 AM
Is there a zerk fitting to use for greasing it? I didn’t realize this was a maintenance item and has to be greased periodicsllly. I wonder if my dealer knows that?…..

Holdmybeer
06-17-2022, 05:54 AM
Is there a zerk fitting to use for greasing it? I didn’t realize this was a maintenance item and has to be greased periodicsllly. I wonder if my dealer knows that?…..

No zerk. Not in the manual.
After changing mine, I could visibly see the wear mark where the shaft rubbed the rubber seal and made the hole egg shaped. The seal gets water for cooling but only the inside race (external of hull) the outside race (internal that stops water) is dry all the time. My seal had dry rot cracking on the outside race and the rub marks. Hence why is started to drip.

The grease is just adding moisture to the seal to see if your squeal stops. If so, it might help get you over 250hrs before having to replace it.

haknslash
06-17-2022, 06:55 AM
So I just need to loosen the clamps holding the seal to the shaft and then run some grease on the inside of it with my fingers? Anyone got a video link so I can understand better what I need to do to see if this is the culprit? You would think the dealer techs would do this if they know it needs to be lubricated.

RUGER761
06-17-2022, 08:40 AM
Are you only hearing the sound at idle in forward or does it do it in reverse as well? If its not your seal making the noise, it could also be your prop. If you hit the prop on a stick or something in the water, it might be just slightly out of shape, which sometimes causes the prop to make a noise at idle or slightly above idle, somewhat technical name called "prop singing". Kind of has more of a harmonic type of sound. Goes away with more RPM and wont generally do it in reverse.

sandm
06-17-2022, 11:05 AM
Ruger is correct on prop sounds. Oj's were notorious back in the late 00's for the "growl" on supras even on brand new props. Lots had it. Could be a slight twist.
I think id lean toward seal tho as well.

Holdmybeer
06-17-2022, 11:28 AM
So I just need to loosen the clamps holding the seal to the shaft and then run some grease on the inside of it with my fingers? Anyone got a video link so I can understand better what I need to do to see if this is the culprit? You would think the dealer techs would do this if they know it needs to be lubricated.

No need to take anything apart. Just remove the v-drive cover and you can see the shaft going into the seal. Just rub grease on the outside rubber and have someone turn the prop as you apply. Some should work into the rubber seal this way. Pumping grease in the seal would just spray out into the lake as the cooling water was pumped into the inside of the seal.

You are only trying to add moisture to the rubber. Not lubricate a joint or shaft.

haknslash
06-17-2022, 01:05 PM
Are you only hearing the sound at idle in forward or does it do it in reverse as well? If its not your seal making the noise, it could also be your prop. If you hit the prop on a stick or something in the water, it might be just slightly out of shape, which sometimes causes the prop to make a noise at idle or slightly above idle, somewhat technical name called "prop singing". Kind of has more of a harmonic type of sound. Goes away with more RPM and wont generally do it in reverse.

I can’t recall if I tested for the sound in reverse. It was only at idle speeds in forward from what I could remember and the dealer did mention prop sing. I checked the prop for any damage or edges looking rough and everything looked fine.

I’m aware of the “growl” sound like when coming off plane quickly and you can sometimes hear the prop growl for the lack of a better description but was told that is totally normal and I’ve heard that on other boats I’ve been on.

haknslash
06-17-2022, 01:06 PM
No need to take anything apart. Just remove the v-drive cover and you can see the shaft going into the seal. Just rub grease on the outside rubber and have someone turn the prop as you apply. Some should work into the rubber seal this way. Pumping grease in the seal would just spray out into the lake as the cooling water was pumped into the inside of the seal.

You are only trying to add moisture to the rubber. Not lubricate a joint or shaft.

Gotcha. I’ll try and dig into this more once I’m at the dealer. Maybe I can grease it while I’m there.

RUGER761
06-17-2022, 01:23 PM
I can’t recall if I tested for the sound in reverse. It was only at idle speeds in forward from what I could remember and the dealer did mention prop sing. I checked the prop for any damage or edges looking rough and everything looked fine.

I’m aware of the “growl” sound like when coming off plane quickly and you can sometimes hear the prop growl for the lack of a better description but was told that is totally normal and I’ve heard that on other boats I’ve been on.

Check the prop for decolorization in spots almost a blueing color or a color that makes it look like it got hot. Generally a singing prop wont have damage that you can see or really feel (as long as its not sever), would have to be measured to find the issue. But if that's what it is, wont hurt one bit to run it as is, just sounds weird at idle. But for sure check the shaft seal with the steps the others have mentioned as well.

haknslash
06-17-2022, 05:28 PM
Is there a recommended grease that won’t have any adverse effects on the rubber? I don’t want to create a bigger problem down the road with deterioration. I spoke with one of the dealer techs today and he said what I’m hearing is a normal trait with some vdrive a and assured me everything looked good and the boat performs as it should. It’s just a sound I may have to get used to if it comes and goes and he reiterated the harmonics and noises that come with these types of drive systems. I will be sure to inspect for any blueing on the shaft.

The outside looked fine…

https://i.imgur.com/tsclJ4W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DMug42O.jpg

Holdmybeer
06-18-2022, 07:53 AM
Any marine grease would be fine. The seal is similar to a wheel bearing seal. Anything that will work with viton will safice.

You have zero bluing or wear marks. If you crawl under and view where the shaft come thru the hull, is there anything in the hole? A piece of wood or plastic that could be lodged and rubbing the shaft.
Harmonics are real but what is wearing to cause it this year and not last?

2in2out
06-18-2022, 09:16 AM
This brings up the question, for winter lay-ups, should we be greasing the inner seal, and maybe the outer seal to prevent seal failure?

I’ve never heard it mentioned or given it a thought until Hack’s issue.

2022 SA 450

Holdmybeer
06-18-2022, 06:32 PM
I'm going to start. I changed to the Glide system since mine failed.

haknslash
06-19-2022, 08:30 PM
Well we took the boat out all day and no strange sounds. Maybe it was just a freak occurrence. Boat ran and sounded great all day.

The shaft seal is water cooled right? Where does it’s water get fed from? Maybe I had some debris clogging it for a little bit? Idk. Just glad it’s not doing it and we had a great Father’s Day on the water.

HFarr
06-19-2022, 09:13 PM
Well we took the boat out all day and no strange sounds. Maybe it was just a freak occurrence. Boat ran and sounded great all day.

The shaft seal is water cooled right? Where does it’s water get fed from? Maybe I had some debris clogging it for a little bit? Idk. Just glad it’s not doing it and we had a great Father’s Day on the water.They greased it at the shop and didn't tell ya. [emoji3]

2in2out
06-20-2022, 06:36 AM
It’s a rarity for a shop to grease your seal before giving you the shaft! You should feel honored.

2022 SA 450

RUGER761
06-20-2022, 08:23 AM

The shaft seal is water cooled right? Where does it’s water get fed from? Maybe I had some debris clogging it for a little bit? Idk. Just glad it’s not doing it and we had a great Father’s Day on the water.

Thats good. Just keep an eye or well ear on it I guess. Should have a small hose going to the shaft seal coming off the front of the the raw water pump water loop.

Josh828
06-20-2022, 09:52 AM
Hmm I noticed this weekend mine made the same sound you are describing, just when you engage "first gear" goes away at idle and underway just when you are tightening the rope a slight squeal