PDA

View Full Version : Rough Water

MELVIN
05-25-2022, 05:39 PM
New to inboards and looks like Texas is going to be windy this year. In previous boating life I’d trim up the outdrive, reduce speed, and bounce through using bow rise as a friend.
What’s the best practice for an inboard when the white caps blow up and you gotta go with them and against them?

HFarr
05-25-2022, 08:19 PM
Go slow. The Moombas/ surfboats are absolutely not good rough water boats. Some slight chop I have discovered trimming all the way down puts the "v" of the bow into them and breaks them. Trimmed up, it just smack the heck out of the flatter bottom. I had a crownline inboard/outboard before my Moomba, and it would trim up and slice through heavy chop smooth as silk. Well smooth as silk compared to a Momba hull. Just two totally different design purposes.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

haknslash
05-25-2022, 10:59 PM
Trim the bow down and fill some front ballast when it gets rough. My Max rides light years better than my previous Yamaha did. It’s no true deep v hull but the high freeboard and bow seem to do fairly well when it gets snotty.

RUGER761
05-26-2022, 10:10 AM
I do the same a Haknslash does, I fill up the front ballast and plant the nose down a bit. Then adjust speed accordingly. Our Makai is night and day difference over my old direct drive which had a real flat bottom to it.

MELVIN
05-26-2022, 03:44 PM
I do the same a Haknslash does, I fill up the front ballast and plant the nose down a bit. Then adjust speed accordingly. Our Makai is night and day difference over my old direct drive which had a real flat bottom to it.

Awesome. Thanks. I’ll be learning this weekend, I guess.

HFarr
05-26-2022, 05:13 PM
Awesome. Thanks. I’ll be learning this weekend, I guess.Tonto say: Wave get big. Boat go bang. Raise bow up, bang get bigger. Lower bow down, bang get not as bigger. Keepum bow down.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

jnr4817
05-27-2022, 11:53 AM
I’ve got 200lbs lead in the bow and just trim it down when it gets rough. Rides fairly well.