PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate

Pike
05-09-2007, 02:11 AM
So I noticed some liquid under the tongue of my boatmate trailer...i opened up brake fluid cap and it was dry....Has anyone had a problem with their trailer leaking brake fluid?

Buttafewcoe
05-09-2007, 05:05 AM
In the three yrs I've had me '04, no probs at all with leaking brake fluid. It's just a single axle, though.
B

04OUTBACK
05-09-2007, 07:54 AM
PIKE,
Not to underestimate you, but did you open the small cap under the black plastic cap? I looked at mine the other day and thought it was bone dry, then realized there was a round color matched cap for the fluid under the black plastic cap..... Hope this helps..

BW

carsondoc
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey Pike. I have not had it go dry but I have notice that I have to refill/top it off every season. If you find a leak, can you please post what you found?

Buttafewcoe
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Having to top off the fluid are the pads way of showing wear. As the pads get thinner, more space in the resevior because the piston in the caliper sticks out more. Based on my automotive experience, I would think that mode of operation is normal and to be expected. However, at some point you must replace the pads.
A puddle of fluid on the ground under the tongue would indicate a cracked resevior or a ruptured seal on the actuator. Maybe a broken line.
Hope this helps
B

Pike
05-09-2007, 09:31 PM
PIKE,
Not to underestimate you, but did you open the small cap under the black plastic cap? I looked at mine the other day and thought it was bone dry, then realized there was a round color matched cap for the fluid under the black plastic cap..... Hope this helps..

BW

Umm.....ya, I opened both caps :? I dont fault you for pointing this out because I know there are people out there that have done this.

Pike
05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Having to top off the fluid are the pads way of showing wear. As the pads get thinner, more space in the resevior because the piston in the caliper sticks out more. Based on my automotive experience, I would think that mode of operation is normal and to be expected. However, at some point you must replace the pads.
A puddle of fluid on the ground under the tongue would indicate a cracked resevior or a ruptured seal on the actuator. Maybe a broken line.
Hope this helps
B

Well it must be something along the lines of a rupture or cracked resevior. This trailer is new and I have only about 700 miles on it so I dont think it would be from worn pads.

This happened on the way back from Laughlin. I had to store the it overnight at a tow lot waiting for new tires for my truck.

I will post what the dealer finds when I get it.