PDA

View Full Version : added some lights

vdubnick
05-07-2022, 01:03 AM
so after finding out the RGB controller has 4 outputs, and only 2 were used, i decided to add some more light. I also fixed the 6.5 speakers so they are RGB tied to the tower speakers, they were set to blue with the courtesy light switch.

Added strips under the seat track, and another under the steering wheel.

I also added 5mm blue LEDs to every cup holder except the back 2 and drivers.

and added blue vinyl to the phone holder plates with a backlight. They turn on with the courtesy lights.

I may also add some LED strips to the larger compartments to help find stuff in low light.

Does anyone know what brand/part number the factory courtesy lights are? seems like there should be more than just 2, at least one in the bow.

vdubnick
05-07-2022, 01:11 AM

HFarr
05-07-2022, 08:24 AM

30322Those look great! I forgot about the Mojo having the newly redesigned bow. I like that.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HFarr
05-07-2022, 09:58 AM
Speaking of lights though, I'm not sure if they gave the bright white courtesy light in the pro tower it's own switch this year or not. It bugged me that when you turned on the courtesy lighting the tower light blinded you straight down from above. Just too dang bright to leave on and cruise at night.
If yours is like that, here is a pretty simple fix using a $3 led solar light from Walmart. I think I posted this a year ago somewhere, but I forget.

I took the 4 screws off holding the plastic cover/diffuser on, then drilled a small hole in it so I could superglue the small soft push switch in it that I took out of the solar light. Then just interrupted one of the wires running to the LED strip in the tower light with some 3m waterproof squeeze connectors. EzPz. Now I can switch it off and on as I please when the courtesy lights are on. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220507/a05cc47d539136d687e7ccb5a48afe66.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220507/f69f0f94f340cc06059f87ad059c5f1f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220507/1b5f2493cf8700c2fffe56efda003997.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220507/956fb026a96f3de8f2a35b17c0baa3d8.jpg

vdubnick
05-07-2022, 03:33 PM
Speaking of lights though, I'm not sure if they gave the bright white courtesy light in the pro tower it's own switch this year or not. It bugged me that when you turned on the courtesy lighting the tower light blinded you straight down from above. Just too dang bright to leave on and cruise at night.
If yours is like that, here is a pretty simple fix using a $3 led solar light from Walmart. I think I posted this a year ago somewhere, but I forget.

yeah, i feel like some stuff was just not thought out well, but other parts really are.

i didnt opt for the pro tower... i was on the fence, for all the upgrades, if i got the pro tower, i could spend a couple grand more and get the makai... but then i would need to pack even more weight and we do more evening runs with 4-6 people than we do full load weekends.

saleman said the pro tower was more narrow too, im 6'7" so i wanted more headroom/clearance, especially with rev 10s ... biggest peeve with the A3 is the exposed wire at the folding hinge. thinking of 3d printing a cover or something. I never need to fold it down, and i dont want someone grabbing the wire thinking its a handle.

As for the dome light, i was attracted to that option, and have thought about adding something on mine, but after reading your posts it sounds like you rarely want it on haha. I may just stick to the storage area lighting as the next upgrade. I have tons of led strips just laying around, may as well use some.

oh, question for you, your sig says you have 8s and 10s, are they both on the tower? have a picture of the setup?

Tommy2slow
05-07-2022, 06:37 PM
I really like what you did with the cup holders. I like that a lot better than the LED ring at the top. What did you do to yours?

Bigs28
05-07-2022, 08:58 PM
That lighting looks really good. Nice work

HFarr
05-07-2022, 09:30 PM
yeah, i feel like some stuff was just not thought out well, but other parts really are.

i didnt opt for the pro tower... i was on the fence, for all the upgrades, if i got the pro tower, i could spend a couple grand more and get the makai... but then i would need to pack even more weight and we do more evening runs with 4-6 people than we do full load weekends.

saleman said the pro tower was more narrow too, im 6'7" so i wanted more headroom/clearance, especially with rev 10s ... biggest peeve with the A3 is the exposed wire at the folding hinge. thinking of 3d printing a cover or something. I never need to fold it down, and i dont want someone grabbing the wire thinking its a handle.

As for the dome light, i was attracted to that option, and have thought about adding something on mine, but after reading your posts it sounds like you rarely want it on haha. I may just stick to the storage area lighting as the next upgrade. I have tons of led strips just laying around, may as well use some.

oh, question for you, your sig says you have 8s and 10s, are they both on the tower? have a picture of the setup?LOL! That's not right. I have not looked at my signature since I made it. When I bought the boat the salesman said the speakers inside the boat were 8 inch. I joined the forum shortly afterward and created the signature. I just have two 10's on the tower and six 6.5 inch inside. With a 10" ported sub. No 8's anywhere. Good catch and Glad to know someone reads those!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220508/4690e7d3ebd4d9cda22159ff79ee97e3.jpg

vdubnick
05-08-2022, 01:13 PM
I really like what you did with the cup holders. I like that a lot better than the LED ring at the top. What did you do to yours?

thanks. i just used flat top blue 5mm leds with a 400ohm resistor on each one, i had 2 pin molex minifit connectors so i can remove them individually if needed for cleaning. the LEDs i got probably 10 years ago on ebay, super cheap.

I just drilled out the drain hole so it was a snug fit and the led was flush to the bottom of the cupholder (affects lighting if its not flush) and black hot glue to hold in place.

i thought about doing the 2 on the transom, but i know water is going to get dripped into them, and then they will just fill and be annoying, so i may do rings on those, probably just leave them.

vdubnick
05-08-2022, 01:15 PM
That lighting looks really good. Nice work

thanks, 16+ cupholders is nice until you have to modify each one haha... i just tapped into the speaker/courtesy light harness that was unused after switching the speakers to RGB. Also, in the main area there were a few extra courtesy light hookups with unused butt connectors, plenty of expansion room, even tho its on the same circuit.

vdubnick
05-08-2022, 01:18 PM
LOL! That's not right. I have not looked at my signature since I made it. When I bought the boat the salesman said the speakers inside the boat were 8 inch. I joined the forum shortly afterward and created the signature. I just have two 10's on the tower and six 6.5 inch inside. With a 10" ported sub. No 8's anywhere. Good catch and Glad to know someone reads those!!

i come from car forums where the sig is handy to know what questions someone may be able to answer haha.

I was really picturing 10's and 8's on the tower wondering if the 8's were in the middle or somehow on the side.
your boat colors look nice.

vdubnick
05-08-2022, 01:22 PM
FYI, the doubleside adhesive foam the cupholders use is shit. and the fit into the vacuum formed plastic is underwhelming... i am thinking of some addition to give it more of a press fit. the side bow cupholders sit tilted due to the plastic not being flat. im sure most wont notice it, but it bugs me.